Airfix Large Prairie drive gear

JST

The large plastic axle drive gear on my Prairie needs replacing. I have tried the usual suspects without success. Does anyone know where I may obtain one?

Cheers

John

That's one part that doesn't usually wear.   eBay usually has some, whether as part of a wheelset or complete chassis. Changing it risks losing the quartering.  I have had battles with these chassis quite a few times and worn plastic drive gears isn't one of the issues, so I am wondering if the keeper plate is worn or loose or the motor front bearing is loose to cause the gears to partially disengage.  The 0-4-2T wears its much smaller plastic drive gear when it's chassis gets bent or cracked.   I have a good spare Airfix Prairie drive gear as I converted one to Triang Gears and Motor.  I'll stick it on eBay for £5 and accept an offer for £1 (Plus £1 postage.) (from JST )  if that is of interest.

DSCN7374.JPG

DSCN7375.JPG

The gear has a "flat spot" on it where the worm will not engage. If you move the worm gear closer to engage, the rest of the gear wheel gets too tight and jams. I don't know how it happened as I have only recently been given the loco.

Yes, I would be interested in the gear wheel so let me know when you put it on eBay or I am happy to buy it direct from you.

Cheers

John

On 18/04/2022 at 21:53, JST said:

The gear has a "flat spot" on it where the worm will not engage. If you move the worm gear closer to engage, the rest of the gear wheel gets too tight and jams. I don't know how it happened as I have only recently been given the loco.

Yes, I would be interested in the gear wheel so let me know when you put it on eBay or I am happy to buy it direct from you.

Cheers

John

Hi  I found it and I advertised it  on eBay a couple of days ago.  see picture  Don't bid but make me an offer.  I will accept an offer of £1 (plus £1 p+p)    I more or less put £2.50 to stop the wrong person  bidding...  

image.png.8391a523185d30870dfab3f07de2392d.png