Where I'm going I need rails a question on Sierra No. 3 dimensions.

844fan

Hey all,

Bit of a odd question here from me, but as many of you know I am a child of Sodor even though I am a yank I grew up on engines with buffers, Trucks with only four wheels and always wondered why the big freight trains didn't have buffers, and much more. As a adult I know it was because Trains were born in the United Kingdom, and Thomas was a British locomotive, not a US built giant.

So long story short whenever I plan designs or make models for railways it is always gonna have some clash, nowhere near what Hit entertainment did (Seriously a Blue Ridge class is awesome but Sodor let alone the Network beyond would ever need so much power or be able to allow them on the rails due to clearance problems) but 1880s or 90s I will make a case to work and give them buffers on the head stocks and screw couplings.

That was not as short as I wanted, but let me properly cut to the chase. One of my all time favorite American Locomotives has been seen at least as much as Flying Scotsman and as famous or close to him. The star of tv shows, and a center of time travel Sierra No. 3! I want to model the engine for a project but I am missing one key bit of information.

That one thing is just how large is that signature gap between her middle and back set of wheels and in turn how long the coupling rods would be for her linkage. As a key part to her looks I want the model for my project to while not fully realistic if I'm honest, want to be as close as possible. 

I live in the center of the US so I am in no way capable of seeing her in person and asking Rail Town. So anyone got a idea?  I wish design prints of locomotives in the US were part of a collection like the Railway Museum in the UK but only the mass produced classes are documented so well.

Hope all is good and take care,

844fan

One of the best places to start would be the California State Railway Museum. The Museum owns the real Sierra #3 as part of the Jamestown (California) Railtown 1897 State Historic Park site collection with the shops of the original Sierra Railway (not Railroad) and 10 miles of operating trackage. It is currently listed as in service but only steamed on special occasions. It's not as if the engine is unknown having been used in countless movies and TV shows as far back as 1929. (Think "Back to the Future Part 3 and Petticoat Junction.) In real life is an oil burner not coal or wood as portrayed in movies. 

There is the very well known (in the US) Mantua later Tyco model from the 1960's which was not quite correct HO scale being more OO scale in proportions. Hundreds of thousands were probably produced and it was for 40 years a toy train set favorite. Toy collector or the US version of eBay should bring you hundreds of listings.

Happy hunting and check with the museum who probably has the drawings.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, autocoach said:

One of the best places to start would be the California State Railway Museum. The Museum owns the real Sierra #3 as part of the Jamestown (California) Railtown 1897 State Historic Park site collection with the shops of the original Sierra Railway (not Railroad) and 10 miles of operating trackage. It is currently listed as in service but only steamed on special occasions. It's not as if the engine is unknown having been used in countless movies and TV shows as far back as 1929. (Think "Back to the Future Part 3 and Petticoat Junction.) In real life is an oil burner not coal or wood as portrayed in movies. 

There is the very well known (in the US) Mantua later Tyco model from the 1960's which was not quite correct HO scale being more OO scale in proportions. Hundreds of thousands were probably produced and it was for 40 years a toy train set favorite. Toy collector or the US version of eBay should bring you hundreds of listings.

Happy hunting and check with the museum who probably has the drawings.

I'll give it a go, you are quite right she is at least as well known as Flying Scotsman and is just as unique. Still everyone feel free to help if you can. 

• RMweb Premium

Arbor Models brought out a kit for Sierra No3 but was very difficult to get together successfully apparantly.

Plans have been in the Narrow Gauge And Shortline Gazette Published in the January/February 1991 issue 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cnw6847 said:

Arbor Models brought out a kit for Sierra No3 but was very difficult to get together successfully apparantly.

Plans have been in the Narrow Gauge And Shortline Gazette Published in the January/February 1991 issue 

Yeah the only model I know of that works is the old Tyco HO scale version, but it is a model from ages ago so details are not 100% even if very close. I'll have to see if I can find that issue, doesn't seem to be rare just not sure if it is the exact issue. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 844fan said:

Yeah the only model I know of that works is the old Tyco HO scale version, but it is a model from ages ago so details are not 100% even if very close. I'll have to see if I can find that issue, doesn't seem to be rare just not sure if it is the exact issue. 

Its amazing a decent model of NO.3 hasn't been done. 

Would be a very popular model.

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, cnw6847 said:

Its amazing a decent model of NO.3 hasn't been done. 

Would be a very popular model.

Amen to that. Imagine the custom possibilities, a Jules Verne Train model without sacrificing a Hooterville Cannonball. By the way way thanks for the the issue number of the NG&SL I found a great condition copy and am just waiting for it to ship from Pennsylvania.

• Like 1

Ok my friends, I got the issue and the drawaing is perfect. Been wondering though should I scan it in and make it Public? I know so many people who would love the drawings so they can make models of her, but then I also know that this article while decades old was given permission.

So advice time once more is it legal or not to share? Granted I wouldn't be getting a dime of money it still isn't mine personally I just own a copy. 

• 9 months later...