Recommendation for a Model Shop Visit

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

I am resuming the annual pilgrimage to visit my Mother in Teignmouth next month, and usually it involves us visiting a railway attraction or Model Shop where she treats her two train-mad grandsons (and maybe her son as well 😇).

In the past, we've gone to Pecorama, and of course used the shop there - but also the Model Shop in Exeter, which is sadly no more.

What recommendations do people have for a model shop which carries a good range (not just TTTE - kids not that bothered about that), possibly one connected to, or near a suitable attraction for a day out. Easy access from South Devon preferred - we are staying just over the Shaldon Bridge, so can get onto the A380 easily enough. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

There's also an excellent model shop attached to the SDR in Buckfastleigh.

Yes, a well-stocked model shop right next to a steam railway, otter sanctuary and butterfly centre.

Mind you, you virtually get that at Paignton as well, minus the otters and butterflies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 08221 said:

There’s a great one in Paignton 🙂

16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

There's also an excellent model shop attached to the SDR in Buckfastleigh.

14 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, a well-stocked model shop right next to a steam railway, otter sanctuary and butterfly centre.

Mind you, you virtually get that at Paignton as well, minus the otters and butterflies.

16 hours ago, 08221 said:

There’s a great one in Paignton 🙂

Thanks everyone - looks like a couple of good options there. I confess I havnt been to the Paignton and Dartmouth railway for years (I think the last time was when a certain LNER loco was visiting).

Might see if we can visit both ☺️

• RMweb Gold

Writing this in Sherry's flat in Babbacombe, I fully endorse the recommendations above. If you wanted to take your courage in both hands and cross the Tamar, Kernow Model Centre at the far end of Cornwall will never disappoint, but it is a long way in an era of expensive fuel. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Writing this in Sherry's flat in Babbacombe, I fully endorse the recommendations above. If you wanted to take your courage in both hands and cross the Tamar, Kernow Model Centre at the far end of Cornwall will never disappoint, but it is a long way in an era of expensive fuel. 

Tell me about it! The cost of fuel for the drive down from Scotland is terrifying me!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JohnR said:

Tell me about it! The cost of fuel for the drive down from Scotland is terrifying me!

Worth every penny to sample all the delights that the West Country offer.😎

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1