Bachmann’s 32-487 and 32-487SF Class 40 D213

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Having recently seen D213 in the flesh, I’m tempted to get Bachmann’s recently announced version of it in BR green with small yellow ends livery.  I also recently saw a picture of a undecorated version with a high intensity headlight, so I assume that 32-487 and 487SF is this model?

I looked on Bachmann’s website and it’s difficult to see if the high intensity headlight is fitted or not.  Could someone advise please.

B3358520-5218-4F3B-8350-234F70580BA1.jpeg

Edited by jools1959
Typo

• RMweb Gold

There was something in the Bachmann collector's club magazine about retooling the 40 to have the high intensity headlight (and plux22 decoder socket with twin speakers) so I believe its being done.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kaput said:

There was something in the Bachmann collector's club magazine about retooling the 40 to have the high intensity headlight (and plux22 decoder socket with twin speakers) so I believe its being done.

Sounds good but is it this model or a future release?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Pretty sure an EP has been seen for D213 with headlight, it was a while ago now though. Had a look but couldnt find it.

There is a picture on Bachmanns site, with headlamps.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/class-40-disc-headcode-d213-'andania'-br-green-(small-yellow-panels)/32-487#mz-expanded-view-1617359117863

I thought I'd email Bachmann direct, ask the question and got a almost immediate response.  Yes the model does have the high intensity headlamp as well additional lighting functionality and enhanced sound reproduction.  All good and 32-487SF duly ordered.

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I thought I'd email Bachmann direct, ask the question and got a almost immediate response.  Yes the model does have the high intensity headlamp as well additional lighting functionality and enhanced sound reproduction.  All good and 32-487SF duly ordered.

I'm pretty sure the RMWeb guys did a video showing off the modified tooling for this model. They have also updated the circuit boards to allow for switchable end lighting.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

My club magazine hasn’t arrived yet, but I saw one in the display cabinet at DEMU exhibition the other weekend. It did look very nice (modern warning flashes and headlight in situ).

Mine arrived today.All I will say is page 12 because I don't want to spoil things but it will be a pleasant surprise.  Sorry to be criptic.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 19/04/2022 at 18:29, Kaput said:

I wonder if this will be the next retool announcement then as the current 40 certainly dosent have those features

9 hours ago, meatloaf said:

I wonder if this will be the next retool announcement then as the current 40 certainly dosent have those features

They are redoing the electrics for the 40 at the same time as doing the tooling specific to 213 how it is now. That was disclosed a while back (there is a BRM video of them with the EP explaining this)

15 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Unfortunately not (at least not in this edition of the mag) and I suspect that the tweaks they’ve done on the current one means we won’t see a retool any time soon.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Summer 2023 when I asked. Pretty sure they said it will have twin speakers.

Pure guessing, but although theres no other 40 outstanding, I would be surprised if they only made D213 on its own. Its been a while since we had any 40’s..

Edited by adb968008

On 28/11/2022 at 11:10, adb968008 said:

Summer 2023 when I asked. Pretty sure they said it will have twin speakers.

Pure guessing, but although theres no other 40 outstanding, I would be surprised if they only made D213 on its own. Its been a while since we had any 40’s..

Indeed. I have been on the lookout for Blue Tops numbered Bachmann 40's but they don't seem to have made that many since the revised version came out in 2014, particularly the disc head code version they don't seem to have done one at all other than the departmental numbered version or pre-Tops version.

This seems to be reflected on ebay plenty of Green ones and not many Blue ones. A good look around the model shops online I managed to split head code 40 142 new and £20 cheaper than a second hand one on ebay,  Then I have got a second hand centre head code version which is currently stuck in the post, but a disk head code version bit of a headscratcher other than renumbering another version or going for the early versions of this model.

37 minutes ago, 40002 said:

Indeed. I have been on the lookout for Blue Tops numbered Bachmann 40's but they don't seem to have made that many since the revised version came out in 2014, particularly the disc head code version they don't seem to have done one at all other than the departmental numbered version or pre-Tops version.

This seems to be reflected on ebay plenty of Green ones and not many Blue ones. A good look around the model shops online I managed to split head code 40 142 new and £20 cheaper than a second hand one on ebay,  Then I have got a second hand centre head code version which is currently stuck in the post, but a disk head code version bit of a headscratcher other than renumbering another version or going for the early versions of this model.

Fairly sure my local, Trident Trains in Nantwich has a blue headcode box one in the cabinet

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2022 at 09:36, 40002 said:

Ironically I’ve just bought a 97407 Aureol in blue that’s going into green as 40106 soon. It’ll get the Shawplan treatment and have the missing chassis detail added. It looks like it’s already been lowered, which is nice. 

Edit to add, I’ve only just noticed your post was from back last December, so things may be different now. 

Edited by 97406