Hornby West Country in purple (Elizabeth II)

AY Mod

16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Is not the photo in the opening frames of the video one of the advance publicity photo-shops? It has the BR number etc. 

I've yet to see a photo of the repainted engine where the colour looks anything other than lilac.

The still shot used for the placeholder  of the embedded youtube video is the original mockup, I was referring to the image that is  near the start of the article and not associated with the video  when I said it was taken on an overcast day.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

It's not got smoke, the X04 motor doesn't work and someone has switched the tender axles around so the sound doesn't work.

I'm still chuffed with my buy, and will be fixing the sound and motor! Why anyone needs more noise then a cam on some sandpaper can generate is a mystery to me... 😀

I still love Triang-Hornby steamsound, never have to remember which F key to press 😀

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Part of the development process?  :-)

I'm pretty sure I've seen it at the SVR before today....

Very much a heritage railway beer. Me and my brother spent all day going up and down the FR tasting all the different ones*. The buffet car attendant was made up as he got quite a few quid out of us!

*Dark Side Of The Moose being the best

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 5Dublo2 said:

The still shot used for the placeholder  of the embedded youtube video is the original mockup, I was referring to the image that is  near the start of the article and not associated with the video  when I said it was taken on an overcast day.

I wasn't quite sure which you meant, which was why I was careful to specify which one I was discussing. Looking at the photos you were referring to, I still think the colour is more lilac than the official platinum jubilee purple. The paint used was evidently intended to be a match to that, so I'm wondering if it's an effect of scale as well as of lighting conditions etc. - the colour has not elsewhere been used on such a large object.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Mrs Stationmaster asked me to get some Lyle's Golden Syrup on my visit to Tesco this afternoon.  So I did, and it's in a special Platinum Jubilee commemorative tin, without a hint of any shade of purple what soever but a nice 'platinum coloured' finish to the tin instead of the usual green.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Does it still have the lion being stung to death by bees though?

🦁 🐝

Seriously, look at the logo. 

spacer.png

Jason

Weird,isn't it!

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Does it still have the lion being stung to death by bees though?

"Out of the strong came forth sweetness" refers to Judge 14. The Israelite hero Samson encounters a lion and kills it with his bare hands. When he next passes the carcass at the roadside, he sees that bees have made their hive in it, so he collects the honey. He then uses the incident as a riddle with which to tease his Philistine in-laws. (It's a seriously mixed-up book is Judges, but the early Christian theologians worked hard at demonstrating that this incident was an antetype of the resurrection.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

"Out of the strong came forth sweetness" refers to Judge 14. The Israelite hero Samson encounters a lion and kills it with his bare hands. When he next passes the carcass at the roadside, he sees that bees have made their hive in it, so he collects the honey. He then uses the incident as a riddle with which to tease his Philistine in-laws. (It's a seriously mixed-up book is Judges, but the early Christian theologians worked hard at demonstrating that this incident was an antetype of the resurrection.)

I always thought that is what it was about.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Love the nickmane.

I've now googled the phrase "lilac lizzie". Whilst there are a number of instances of its use as the name for an item of female clothing or accessory, I found none in the present context, so I assert my identity as author of the name and will be passing my cap round to collect royalties.

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've now googled the phrase "lilac lizzie". Whilst there are a number of instances of its use as the name for an item of female clothing or accessory, I found none in the present context, so I assert my identity as author of the name and will be passing my cap round to collect royalties.

Be careful, you'll probably get Andrew and Harry chucked in.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

If you had been the originator, I'm sure that it would only have been fair to remit any "royalties" to HRH!

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Hroth said:

If you had been the originator, I'm sure that it would only have been fair to remit any "royalties" to HRH!

To the SVR, who deserve to be rewarded for this initiative.

• Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The colour checks out "correctly". *cavaets not limited to: experiences of colour rendition on differing materials / textures, small vs. big surfaces, colour recording on a camera, colour viewing on a screen etc but at least under same diffuse daylight lighting conditions.

Had a throughly fun day playing at the SVR where No.70 was mobbed by hoards of happy punters which hopefully translated to much needed funds for black gold (coal) as well of making loads of great memories for people big and small.  Well done Severn Valley Railway! 

Also had a close inspection of No.70 myself and found helpfully that the exact RAL number colour has been written on the tender by the painters.  I have hopefully attached a picture which you may need to zoom in on.  I'd like to think the SVR General Manager still doesn't know what the colour is...

IMG_7396.JPG

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not the colour of the official Royal stuff though and I would suggest a visit to Specsavers for anyone who thinks otherwise. They do colour blindness tests.

https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/files/queens_platinum_jubilee_guidelines_2022.pdf

Jason

Im sure that the Severn Valley did say the palace had approved the colour. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Hilux5972 said:

Im sure that the Severn Valley did say the palace had approved the colour. 

Whilst I agree in that I have heard the same, it's definitely a different colour to the one in the brand guide posted above.

• Agree 2