Hornby West Country in purple (Elizabeth II)

AY Mod

1 hour ago, E100 said:

If anyone knows of stock please do whack it on here. Only just found this has been announced but did want one.

you can sign up to be notified if there are any available in the future:

We've 𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐭 of our first and second allocations of Hornby limited edition 00 Gauge Platinum Jubilee West Country No 70. 'Elizabeth II' models. Sign up to our waiting list to be the first to know when they're back in stock! https://forms.office.com/r/LFZkLgkNJN

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I would be interested to know what the customers are going to do with them when they have bought them.

I'll renumber mine as 34027, put late crests on the tender, weather and sound fit it and then chuck it on eBay and let the mayhem commence 😏

Nah just kidding (only the eBay bit though 😅 )

Cheers,

• Funny 3

I assume that the "Raspberry Ripple" set is the crimson and cream set but I thought that most of the coaches in the charter trains were named and include a kitchen car.  You cannot buy these ready to run but an ordinary rake of crimson and cream Mk1s creates a good impression of a charter train.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How much for the matching coaches?

Nothing , if you already have them!  I'm just adding another loco to the roster assigned to charter duties... 

25 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I assume that the "Raspberry Ripple" set is the crimson and cream set but I thought that most of the coaches in the charter trains were named and include a kitchen car.  You cannot buy these ready to run but an ordinary rake of crimson and cream Mk1s creates a good impression of a charter train.

No, the Raspberry Ripple set was a set of Mark1s in the InterCity "Executive" or later, "Swallow" livery (sometimes with white roofs).  But I agree that a crimson and cream set would also look good...

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Or, how many of them are scalpers that will quickly have them on eBay for £500+

One for the jubbly collectors this one.

I have a feeling at £269 it wont age well, of course there will be an initial bounce, but most royal tat devalues rapidly 3-6 months after a jubilee. In a years time this livery will be history on the loco as well.

Porterbrook Deltic this isnt (thats a yack livery too, but at least it had time, geography and variety of stock behind it).

I just hope its success doesn’t encourage Hornby to think all its Bulleids are now worth £269. Still it makes a change from those gold plated wheels versions of 6201 etc theyve done in the past. (They aged badly too).

Hats off however, a sell out in 24 hours, but scalpers.. may get burned in the rush and in the long term…of course those buying for non-commercial reason have less to fear.

lets hope the delivery is by autumn, is the right shade, is well printed, is the right tooling and is well assembled.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 4

23 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

To my eyes, the photo of the real thing looks neon pink... 

Cameras and sunshine, or lack of it, show great variety in apparent shade. Everything from purple to pink. Cheer up, everyone, it could be worse. It might have been painted orange and named Prince Something-Or-Other.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Cameras and sunshine, or lack of it, show great variety in apparent shade. Everything from purple to pink. Cheer up, everyone, it could be worse. It might have been painted orange and named Prince Something-Or-Other.

Theres always next year 🤪

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

"Trump Tornado"

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Still it makes a change from those gold plated wheels versions of 6201 etc theyve done in the past. (They aged badly too).

I have always wondered who purchased any of them…

• RMweb Premium

411 sold in last 7 days apparently.

It does look like Hornby is being more cautious with their allocations as they are seeming to show it sold out at certain points.

I've just noticed that in the text they've upped the number of editions to 2500. It's mentioned twice on the page so probably not a typo.

image.png.f59f4c6735c4a409c016b3d32f4c3c1f.png

Edited by E100
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

The cynic in me wonders how many have been produced "off limited run" to be given away as freebies to favoured people..........

(& will any of these find their way to our favourite auction emporium).

Why even bother to try and speculate; especially with barbed tones? Just be quiet please.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

it could be worse. It might have been painted orange and named Prince Something-Or-Other.

Perhaps you are thinking of William of Orange, celebrating his arrival in Brixham.

So it would have to be another West Country loco. Perhaps number 1688?

By 1688, the wheels had been set in motion and on 30th June, a group of politicians who became known as the ‘Immortal Seven’ sent William an invitation to invade. This soon became public knowledge and on 5th November 1688 William landed in the southwest of England at Brixham. Accompanying him was a fleet that was both imposing and considerably larger than the English had encountered during the Spanish Armada.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/William-Of-Orange/