State of play in 2022?

Lacathedrale

I’m planning a layout to fit into a 9’ x 14’ garage and coming to the realisation that in 4mm I think it will probably end up too compressed, and in 2mm will not have the presence I would like. 

I joined the 3mm association about four or five years ago and was quite dismayed at the underlying lack of support: no motor bogies, kits out of stock everywhere, and basically everything seemingly geared to keep existing devotees on life support rather than allowing new entries.

i may have got that wrong but it was my impression at the time!

I am looking to model a through station and terminus and will likely ultimately require around half a dozen locomotives and associated passenger rakes (3-5 coaches each) and a couple of trains of wagons.

I’m looking to model the early grouping era in finescale (14.2). My exact setting is not yet concrete but either GWR or SR, and I would love to know what is ACTUALLY available to meet these requirements? Coach bogies? Bodies? 3D printed wagons? Etched kits with motors that are actually available, etc?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Welcome to the joys of being one of around 600 3mm soc members and possibly only 1000 in the "western world" - as 1:120  also available in Eastern Europe/ former USSR countries but no idea of numbers but seemingly well supported by models of that age. 

As a result all models post Triang  and aimed at a standard gauge market UK are cottage industries and so often one or limited batches and not off shelf for ever items as was i the case with the simple Triang ranges  ( typing this makes it sound like current oo modelling supply pattern! ) Thus 3mm is defo a build your our own with help or single soul scratch building.  Research will thus show much that has gone before  but you will have to correspond with each person - such a fun in the modern world of instant demand gratification putting a stamp on an envelope and providing an s.a.e for a reply  and waiting for a reply. 

I look forward to a 14.2 fine scale model as much as been done in the past and seen at warley model show ( others available of course!)  The society took long ago a view that it should supply builder parts and second hand and currently the committee is vexed that getting the next keepers is proving not that easy.  So if these do continue then the next few years should see stocks replenished but prices will surely rise.  

I am sure you have checked out Worsley works for brass kits  but supplies limited and Allen is not getting younger.  

The bright light has to be the 3D printed points and 3D printed technologies now available and that might be your way forward. Shapeways does have a good set of designs available to buy.    http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/  would be a good place to start. 1/101 versions(3mm/ft) 1069 listed alone.  But these are not shake the box creations a lot of work remains, but that is the joy of 3mm and railway modelling.

Robert  

• Like 1

Following on from Robert, the society does sell some good second hand models but very few are 14.2. Now and again a loco, some coaches and wagons do appear though.

I have to say the with a small handful of kits then plenty of 3D printed bodies I have over 100 different classes of British outline locos, the oldest being a GNR Stirling Single. Mine are 12mm and a lot of the 3D bodies are from Lincoln-Locos which I fit on a Tri-ang chassis wherever I can. Apart from a small handful of excellent rtr diesels that appeared late last year you will have to make your own chassis but I have no idea what the situation for parts is as I make my own etched chassis's to suit Tri-ang or Romford wheels and where possible use a Tri-ang XT60 motor.

On the wagon front the society does have a very good selection of kits, especially Parkside but you do need wheels, I fit the bodies on Tri-ang wagon chassis's.

So, there is a lot of loco  and wagons around but no idea about coaches as I use Tri-ang or a handful of made up bought ones second hand.

Garry

• Like 1

Dear Robert, can you please expand on the supply issues? That was a huge problem for me the first time around and may well be an early death knell.

I’m comfortable using 3D printers and silhouette cutters should it come to that but I am going to draw the line at etching my own coach bogies or other mass required items.

How is the supply of wagons kits, coach bogies/sides and 14.2 wheels and axles for stock in general? 

So far I’m thinking of a layout which coincidentally looks to follow a similar layout to David Jenkinsons “Kendal” . The only thing which has even a modicum of sway to prototype is that it must be pre nationalisation, and for scale the only steer is that I have some 2mmFS grouping era wagons!

the space (14’ x 9’) is just a little tight for what I want in 4mm finescale although otherwise that seems practical and a revision of the plan may be in order to fulfill it. I have stock and experience in 2mmFS but I’m finding it increasingly hard to b muster the enthusiasm for something quite so small…

Silver fox thank you for your reply. I’ve modelled in all the scales under the sun and found S the most gratifying by far due to the nature of needing to sort everything yourself - I’ve no interest in coarse scale/triang though I’m afraid. Your efforts In the workbench thread are truly wonderful though!

Edited by Lacathedrale

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

The small team of casting elves who met pre covid  were working through a production plan with some new items but Covid restrictions put paid to the casting work- but from what I have read good news soon.  The big problem is that the shop keeper is retiring end of this year and while members happy to buy no one has yet signed  on the dotted line for replacing the good gentleman.  Many reasons no doubt ,mine being in full time work and flat tennancy  ( even if i had room) does not allow trading to take place.  Also by my choice I am not a car driver so the ability to transport and go to meet ups is limited by what I can trolley about, if I could get time off shift work. 

I am sure a solution will be found by having folk take on parts of the shop as is done in the 2mmfs association. 

If you can do 3D printing then I recon you have most of what you need, bar time of course !! 

robert           

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/04/2022 at 09:09, Lacathedrale said:

How is the supply of wagons kits, coach bogies/sides and 14.2 wheels and axles for stock in general? 

Peter White handles the finescale wheels and you should have no problems; I believe stocks are high. Likewise when the Parkside  and Cambrian wagon ranges changed hands I believe stocks were good. I don't know of any shortages with coach bogie sides. Most use MJT bogies to attach the sides to. 3SMR also do bogies.

• 5 weeks later...