Ely Model Railway Exhibition - Sat 21st May 2022...Yes, we're back!

andykwilkinson

Our popular event returns after a gap of 3 years to Ely College on Saturday 21st May 2022.  However, one important person will be missing - Malcolm Hine, a stalwart of the Club and Exhibition Manager for no less than 16 of our previous shows in Ely.  Malcolm sadly died last November of COVID. He was a fine modeller and a great friend with many in the hobby, not just in Ely but around the UK.

Our new Exhibition team have organised this year’s show as a memorial to him and it’s based primarily on the show Malcolm put together for May 2020 - which of course was cancelled due to the pandemic - as was our 2021 show.  But, we’re back!

As well as many fine model railway layouts and traders from around the UK, the Exhibition will feature Malcolm’s last scratch built layout, Fullers Wharf.  This superb 7mm scale layout features both standard and narrow gauge as well as a canal scene.  We will also be awarding a new Malcolm Hine Memorial Trophy to the layout which the public vote as best in show on the day.

So why not come along with your fellow modellers to see the wide array of exhibits on show.  Doors open at 10.30am and more information on the shows content etc. can be found on our Club’s website www.elymrc.org.uk and our Club’s Facebook page.  I've also attached a poster below which has the post code, price info etc.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 17.02.21.png

Hi Sumo, as you know (but for the benefit tof those that don't) it's very slightly over a mile from Ely station to Ely College.  Super frequent train service to Ely from all over the place, thanks to those Railway builders!

It's a very pleasant walk, especially if you walk along the river, past The Cutter Inn and The Maltings (we outgrew that venue many years back - truly lovely though it was...it also became way, way too expensive!)  Then head up Fore Hill, past The Drayman's Son (Micropub 😎), through the Market Square and head up Chapel or Egremont Street.  Then turn into Downham Road for the home straight.  Alternatively, a taxi from the station is about £5... If it were me, I'd walk and spend that on beer en-route back to the station after the show! 😀 

Other pubs and lovely walking routes in Ely are available...Up through Cherry Hill and through The Porta, then into The Gallery is a super route that takes you past Ely's medieval splendours! 

Edited by andykwilkinson
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since a number of people have phoned our Secretary to ask, we a pleased to inform that the Club now owns 2 wifi card devices. 🙂

This means contactless credit card payments should (fingers crossed) be possible - not just for entry to our Exhibition on Saturday 21st May but also for purchases from the volunteer run cafe.  The cafe will serve a variety of drinks and light snacks such as lovely home made cakes and sandwiches (and possibly some large hot sausage rolls).

It should also be possible to make a card transactions for purchases of more expensive items from our Club sales stand too.

Of course, many of our Traders will already have card readers should you need to buy some essential modelling supplies at the show...🙂  A full list of traders and all exhibitors attending is on our website.

1 hour ago, dave55uk said:

Sadly, I'll not be able to visit, as I will be at the Friends of March Railway Station model railway exhibition with a friends layout.

But I hope it all goes well for you.

Hope that event goes well too!  From pictures I've seen they have done a reasonably good job of upgrading some of the station building for modern use.

See you next time!

IMPORTANT TRAVEL INFO FOR THOSE USING THE A142

We've become aware that the A142 between Chatteris & Ely will be totally closed all this weekend for work on the bridge over the washes at Mepal.  This means that if you are traveling to the show from that direction into Ely you will need to use another route.  I have no idea what the "best" diversion is...but imagine from Chatteris via Somersham, Earith, Stretham then Ely.  Which might add 10-15 minutes to your journey.

So now you know... we still hope to see you! 🙂

Specific info here:

https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/traffic/a142-bridge-works-at-mepal-8980206

In other news, we seem to be doing quite well with radio interviews with John Crisp (our Joint Exhibition Manager, a role he shares with Brian Smith) about the show on various radio stations - I'm now worried John, who is our Treasurer, might retire from his role and opt to become a local celebrity 😜.  I hope not!  Last time I was Treasurer the numbers never added up...

Edited by andykwilkinson
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

All the best for your exhibition!

I would probably have come over, but unfortunately one of our friends got 70. So drinking and celebration it is and nor model railway show visiting....

By the way, if anybody would like to go a bit further west-south-west we will have Milton Keynes model railway show on the 16th of July. 

My layout Donnersbachkogel will be there on display. Continental, DCC, overhead lines, H0and H0e, no hand of god.  Some DCC gadgets as moving pantographs and remote uncoupling. 

Have a look, and probably this is something for your next show.... 

Regards Vecchio 

• Like 1

The Ely model railway exhibition was very good and seamed very well attended.

The O Gauge Great Eastern Orford layout won my vote, but the narrow gauge Shortwaite Hill was "pretty " and of the large layouts, the 2mm Westgate Park, which was up for sale, was good to watch trains run by.

Paul

20220521_104700.jpg

20220521_104231.jpg

20220521_103750.jpg

20220521_113209.jpg

20220521_113337.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, chrissy said:

Those sets look amazing. I'm a complete newbie so these pics have given me some ideas. Very artful and attention to detail in those sets, wow.

Christine x 

It might be worth checking the Channel 5 website for the Great Model Railway Challenge,

which was aired in 2018/9 I think, that should give you some good ideas, and insights into

how things could be done, and you'll see a couple of my mates, and fellow cub members!

Our Exhibition on Saturday went rather well - So many people came!!!  Thank you for the very favourable comments on here and on all the voting slips given out with the programmes - until we ran out of them!

Lots of families with young children & lots of smiling faces & compliments - we made a particular effort to try and attract families this time and it seems to have worked.  I don't know the total attendance figures yet but we may well have broken some records, certainly since we made the move to the much larger/more suitable Ely College Hall & Gym spaces from our old venue, The Maltings (many years ago - our last one there was 2007).

Sure, not everything worked out perfectly but it’s been 3 years since we’ve done this & from what I’ve seen and heard we got most things right. We’ll do the analysis in the next few weeks and come up with a plan to be even better next May.  Remember, we always now go for the 'Third Saturday in May' for our shows so bookmark Sat 20th May 2023 now.

A very big thank you to so many people - too many to mention here - but you know who you are and that we in the Club are all very appreciative of what you did for us.

For sure it was a fitting memorial show for our dear departed friend Malcolm Hine who died last November & we hope we gave a proper tribute to Graham Varley too  - Sadly, Graham died very recently.  He  was a former member and long time friend to many of us in the Club.  A big thank you to Terry and Aiden for bringing some of his finest work to display - it was lovely to see Graham's Anne visit the show as well.

And now the result of the 'Malcolm Hine Memorial Tankard' for Best Exhibition Layout as judged by public vote.  Malcolm, like a number of us in the Club, loved his real ale so it seemed the best way to remember him!  This was awarded by Ann Hine at 4pm - see one of the pictures attached.  Malcolm's brothers and some other family and friends were with us too - it was great to see them come and mark this special moment.  It was a mixed day of emotions for both Ann(e)s and at one point I did see them crying and hugging each other.

The winner was the truly unique and clever Nonsuch, which was in the Gym.  Derek, its creator was genuinely humbled on hearing this news - but the layout is such a treat and the public loved it.  Shortwaite Hill was runner up, closely followed by Scarborough North Bay Railway.

Tony Wright, with help from Great Eastern Models then both did the Raffle Draw at 4.15pm.  Tony even said some very kind words about our show and the Club - which gave us our turn to be humbled!  We have the names and phone numbers of the winners and you'll be contacted very shortly.

Thank you again to the wonderful Traders who donated the prizes.  We would also like to thank all the local magazines, newspapers and radio stations that helped us get the news out over the last few weeks that we're back running annual Model Railway Exhibitions in Ely again...well, we're certainly back now! 🙂

Finally, several visitor videos have appeared on Facebook and YouTube since Saturday.  This is the best one I've seen so far and gives a good flavour of the variety of layouts we had.  I also attach a few snaps that I took at the show and of a few of us having some well earned beers at a local back street pub, after we had packed everything away and said goodbye to all the Exhibitors, Traders and Demonstrators who had helped make it such a spectacular show.

See you on 20th May 2023!

20220521_160411.jpg

20220521_160507.jpg

IMG_7514.jpeg

IMG_7520 2.jpeg

IMG_7522.jpeg

IMG_7525.jpeg

IMG_7534.jpeg

IMG_7550.jpeg

IMG_7551.jpeg

IMG_7556.jpeg

IMG_7562.jpeg