Rapido Trains UK celebrates the 50th birthday of the Leyland National – with all new model

AY Mod

1 hour ago, ColinK said:

Perhaps the first run should include NBC red and green liveries without any fleet names, but with a sheet of transfers for the buyer to add for their favourite version of the livery.  Then individual retailers could commission a run of models in their local livery.

13 minutes ago, Legend said:

Didnt the NBC Double Arrow change , maybe about 1977. Before that time the Double Arrow , stylised N was white on either red or green . Then it becaame a red and blue N on a white patch in front of the fleetname . Being Scottish , I only really remember these from holidays , but I do remember seeing Northern ones in Chester Le Street in 1974 and Western National ones down in Perranporth in 1975 , so would buy them as memories of holidays .   I always thought they looked modern and stylish compared to the SBG "Y" Types we had .   I also liked the Corporate Identity the NBC had . We had to wait until 1979 for something similar up here on Fleetnames , Western Scottish , Central Scottish etc . Although our colour schemes were nicer  and had a bit more variety .

I strongly agree that NBC red and NBC green versions should be available as an option, without the fleet markings and number plates. Then either Rapido or a decal producer could supply what is needed. My personal interest would be NBC green Crosville examples but there seem to have been dozens of NBC companies with either red or green "standard" liveries, before they customised.  

• RMweb Gold

In the mid seventies the NBC corporate livery for single deck buses changed.

Previously the standard was poppy red/leaf green all over with white fleetnames and white double-N logo either side just behind the doors at cove panel height with silver legal lettering (and normally fleet numbers) and grey wheels.

The new standard incorporated a white band below the windows a change to the double N which was now red and blue on a white square, A smaller double N was positioned on the front panel.

Whilst NBC HQ did try to enforce the rules, they couldn't be everywhere so variations did appear.

Edited by ian
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ian said:

In the mid seventies the NBC corporate livery for single deck buses changed.

Previously the standard was poppy red/leaf green all over with white fleetnames and white double-N logo either side just behind the doors at cove panel height with silver legal lettering (and normally fleet numbers) and grey wheels.

The new standard incorporated an 18" wide white band below the windows a change to the double N which was now red and blue on a white square, A smaller double N was positioned on the front panel.

Whilst NBC HQ did try to enforce the rules, they couldn't be everywhere so variations did appear.

Interesting Ian. I didnt realise the white stripe appeared at the same time . Makes sense !

After riding on the first National in the Northern General group (the late unlamented 1K, MCN151K I think its registration was), I took a long time to appreciate the National in any form.  1K had problems on the exit to Worswick Street bus station, requiring a wheel chock reinserting twice before it got going, and was already smoking heavily at the exhaust after only a couple of weeks in service by that point.  However it DID wear full Sunderland District Navy blue and white, even if the roof WAS blue.  The effect was the same as the NGT bus below.

A few shots from my archive.

MCN816L-sep72.jpg.c166e75d2c85a915a53a671510f9dd7e.jpg

The livery the first score of Northern's were repainted in did improve the external impression of them.  No. 16L in Durham when new in late 1972/early 1973.

1346702571_GAU726L-aug79.jpg.37f4b5fede1f8ebda3c6e391f18b5a90.jpg

Short two door version Nottingham City Transport 726 in an overall advertising livery. Probably 1979.

XRR574M-1988.jpg.93b36df78818dc57150db4dc42ad5f69.jpg

In my opinion one of the best of the post-deregulation liveries was East Midlands/Mansfield and District green.  Later purged by Stagecoach I was under the impression at the time that green was a requirement for Mansfield buses as it was an inheritance from Mansfield's trams.  Sadly not the case, though it would have been nice to see Stagecoach green....

Les

• Like 3

On 22/04/2022 at 14:25, newbryford said:

And how long before we get a Class 140 or 141 based on the same tooling??

Or one of these? (pic from flickr)

LEV1

For those interested there is a tick box for the LEV1 in the Rapido form.

Choices for me would be; - 

STRATHTAY SCOTTISH SN10 MSO9WStrathtay Scottish NPN11 (MSO 11W)Northern Scottish NPN2 (KRS 536V ex GSO 2V), Leyland National B44F,  Gairn Terrace Depot, Aberdeen in May 1991.

A few niche choices, but all local to me.

Mr B

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure that there is no aspect of the National tooling being able to be used for LEV1.

You couldn't even use bits of the CAD work "cut-n-pasted" into the new drawing for fear of wrong dimensions unwittingly being passed on.

Kev.

47 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I'm pretty sure that there is no aspect of the National tooling being able to be used for LEV1.

You couldn't even use bits of the CAD work "cut-n-pasted" into the new drawing for fear of wrong dimensions unwittingly being passed on.

Kev.

The front windscreen, the plain glass side windows and maybe the folding doors 😁

But there is a linear progression from bus to train that surely Rapido can follow, it certainly meets their 'quirky' prototype and I would trust them more to create a Lev1 than Heljan (also known for quirky models).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But there is a linear progression from bus to train that surely Rapido can follow, it certainly meets their 'quirky' prototype and I would trust them more to create a Lev1 than Heljan (also known for quirky models).

Well, as Heljan have form for (wrongly) redecorating 4 wheeled railbuses, I reckon they're on with it!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I was pretty familiar with NGT's Nationals, although the oldest I encountered was 8K (UUP 828K). There were others as well, I saw but never travelled on 40L which had been modified and had among other things a half-width pod at the back. 141M (OCN 741M) was another regular. I encountered them on service 92 (Newcastle-Kibblesworth) in the 1973-76 period.

They were only one of the types that showed up on that route. Others included Marshall-bodied AEC Reliances and Leopards, both with standard and dual-purpose bodies, and ex-Venture examples of the same chassis but with Alexander Y-type bodies, and Bristol REs with ECW semi-coach and Plaxton coach bodies. 

6 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Yes, I was pretty familiar with NGT's Nationals, although the oldest I encountered was 8K (UUP 828K). There were others as well, I saw but never travelled on 40L which had been modified and had among other things a half-width pod at the back. 141M (OCN 741M) was another regular. I encountered them on service 92 (Newcastle-Kibblesworth) in the 1973-76 period.

They were only one of the types that showed up on that route. Others included Marshall-bodied AEC Reliances and Leopards, both with standard and dual-purpose bodies, and ex-Venture examples of the same chassis but with Alexander Y-type bodies, and Bristol REs with ECW semi-coach and Plaxton coach bodies. 

The day 1K showed up at Worswick Street I was waiting for the bus to Hartlepool either round the coast or via Washington.  IK was headed for Hartlepool so I thought my luck was in.  I got off at Washington (I think) and waited for the next bus, a much more civilised Routemaster.

The only long distance ride that was nearly as bad was one of the Fleetline saloons which rattled and crashed its way from Newcastle all the way to Hartlepool.  No option of alighting as it was the last through bus on a Sunday evening- the joys of living in Hartlepool with a girlfriend in Newcastle....

Of course you could combine Nationals with trains using this livery I caught up with in Keighley in 1976 or 1977

1811869489_YCW740N-1976.jpg.745965dc4fd798a5c09713aac97b4da6.jpg

Bus Lists On The Web has this one as a 10351/1R model, short, single-doored belonging to Burnley & Pendle (no.140, new in October 1974.

Les

Whatever their mechanical problems, the arrival of these coaches was for me an aesthetic revolution. Out went the quirky-looking old-fashioned designs, and in came modernity. 

I was in the western part of Eastern Counties country, so the dominant appearance was plain poppy red. But there was also a regular sprinkling of leaf green invaders from the Lincolnshire Road Car company. The local bus station was an impressive display of public service corporate identity. 

I’m a bit surprised no-one else has already tackled the National, but I’m delighted Rapido is now doing it. 

I imagine there might be demand at O scale…

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Fenman said:

Whatever their mechanical problems, the arrival of these coaches was for me an aesthetic revolution. Out went the quirky-looking old-fashioned designs, and in came modernity. 

I was in the western part of Eastern Counties country, so the dominant appearance was plain poppy red. But there was also a regular sprinkling of leaf green invaders from the Lincolnshire Road Car company. The local bus station was an impressive display of public service corporate identity. 

I’m a bit surprised no-one else has already tackled the National, but I’m delighted Rapido is now doing it. 

I imagine there might be demand at O scale…

Paul

Agree , compared to Alexander "Y" types we had , that went on into the eighties new , the National looked like a modern bus .  I can remember Model Railway Constructor had a road supplement back in 73/74 and in it was an advert for a Pirate models kit  of the National . Way beyond me as a wee boy at the time  both in ability and cost , but I so wanted one !

The National has been done a few times before . There was a plastic kit by Tower models  and there is the EFE one . I'll keep an eye on this though as it will be something special . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fenman said:

Paul

EFE did various versions of the National in OO many years ago, as I've got Crosville and GMPTE ones in a display cabinet here.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

EFE did various versions of the National in OO many years ago, as I've got Crosville and GMPTE ones in a display cabinet here.

and they still do....EFE announcement this morning

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

and they still do....EFE announcement this morning

Finding it difficult to find announcement , but going through Bachmann and clicking on Diecast I can see  Leyland National Mk1 Long 2 door buses at £41.95.   Given they have Nationals listed underneath at £19.95- £24.95 I'm assuming these are newly announced 

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Legend said:

Finding it difficult to find announcement , but going through Bachmann and clicking on Diecast I can see  Leyland National Mk1 Long 2 door buses at £41.95.   Given they have Nationals listed underneath at £19.95- £24.95 I'm assuming these are newly announced 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Awe no a Northern one going to Sacriston , where my Aunty lived .  But £41.95 eek . Question is should I wait to see if it finds its level  as I think we are still saturated with diecast buses . Think I'll wait .   

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Agree , compared to Alexander "Y" types we had , that went on into the eighties new , the National looked like a modern bus .  I can remember Model Railway Constructor had a road supplement back in 73/74 and in it was an advert for a Pirate models kit  of the National . Way beyond me as a wee boy at the time  both in ability and cost , but I so wanted one !

The National has been done a few times before . There was a plastic kit by Tower models  and there is the EFE one . I'll keep an eye on this though as it will be something special . 

The Tower Models kit is now with Peco, part of their Modelscene range.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/04/2022 at 21:11, dibber25 said:

Will there be a DCC sound-fitted version? Lots of rattling panels and an engine that sounds like a bag of spanners! I suppose (as a user of LT route 218 with RFs) at least the Leyland Nationals had doors! (CJL)

Agree completely about what they were like, Chris.  When LT introduced them where I once lived, they replaced Routemasters (which of course had conductors).  The Leyland Nationals had less seating capacity so a lot of people ended up standing, they were one man operated,  so  journeys took  longer due to the driver having to take fares at each stop,  and they were unreliable. It just made the whole business of traveling by bus (on those routes at that time) much more unreliable and unpleasant.

If Rapido's model is as good as their Canadian "new look" bus then it will be a very good model, but perhaps a sound fitted version should have the voice of  a stroppy bus driver telling off an elderly lady for not having the right money and making her get  off the bus.  🥴

• Like 1