BR Coach interior colours ex SE&CR Push - Pull sets

• RMweb Premium

I am building Roxey kit 4C34 ex SECR 60ft Push-Pull Driving Trailer for a fellow modeller. It will be painted in BR Crimson. I have reserached the interior and concluded that the partitions and door interiors would have been varnished wood and a fairly darkish colour with a hint of red.

Some help with sources of suitable paint would help. The vehicle will be matched with a Bachmann SECR trailer in BR Crimson the shade of which looks darker than BR Crimson. Who makes the bast match please?

The inside of the roof would have been light cream which is strait forward. Any suggestions regarding a suitable brown that would replicate the dark wood of the interior panels?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368

• RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2022 at 12:03, 30368 said:

Some help with sources of suitable paint would help. The vehicle will be matched with a Bachmann SECR trailer in BR Crimson the shade of which looks darker than BR Crimson. Who makes the bast match please?

Precision do two shades of BR Crimson - both ex-works and faded. To me the faded shade looks much more like the colour actually seen in photos from the era, but perhaps the 'standard' one might be a better match to the Bachmann coach?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I spotted an EFE gate set on display in Alton Model Centre the other day which was in a "very faded" variant of BR crimson - well on the way to plum.

Presumably, like a lot of red pigments, it faded badly in sunlight.  Add to that the effect of periodic re-varnishing and I guess that a considerable variation in shade between individual coaches would have been quite normal.

Keith

Alton.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 45655 said:

a considerable variation in shade between individual coaches would have been quite normal.

Not so much between vehicles within a set though, as usually they'd have been shopped together. For given values of usually of course, as there's plenty of exceptions!

@30368 Will you also be panelling over the former toilet compartments in the trailer? If so then you'll need to match them too, or repaint the vehicle.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Nick C said:

Will you also be panelling over the former toilet compartments in the trailer?

Hi Nick,

When the trailer arrives from Jack Benson I will be able to match the colour having ordered a selection Pheonix paints for that purpose. I will have to set up the air brush kit which I havn't used yet since moving to Buxton. I will also check the toilet arrangement on the trailer.Thanks all for the helpful advice.

Some pictures:

IMG_7272.JPG.59a623b41060b8ca8496624c5799c0ff.JPG

IMG_7271.JPG.856cc5877411688af1deea78aef0106e.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A quick update.

Interior and glazing continues. Roof is only temp. fit. Colour match with Bachmann vehicle is not too bad.

IMG_7286.JPG.1701fd1ba1cc6270c5bdb02c34222c51.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Roxey driving trailer kit built for Jack Benson is complete apart from numbering, lettering and weathering that Jack is performing. I hope he likes it. It is the first coach I have built and found it very fiddly...

One issue I had was the need to match the colour of the Bachmann vehicle on the right of this picture. The Railmatch Crimson is a little brighter than the Bachmann colour so I used a dark undercoat and thinned the crimson. The roof is not fixed.

IMG_7302-2.JPG.4f8a2263fa2b61d59fa342ded7c4d970.JPG

IMG_7303-2.JPG.22557d01652da1833eb45668c7abcb83.JPG

IMG_7304-2.JPG.a532d12cfb9e96fed68c86979cb0ba64.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Roxey kit now completed. Jack has added the driver had a friend weather the vehicle, it looks pretty good I think.

858443492_Push-pull1.jpg.a8e73e8df18ddb52324ad42b92a87c55.jpg

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Craftsmanship/clever 1