Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

• RMweb Premium

There are quite a few of us out here who didn't buy any in the first version releases. I personally am unlikely to buy this version either as the front hasn't been fixed as far as I'm concerned. However, if Hornby had done a proper fix then I'd be up for a couple in blue / grey, so it would be in Hornby's interest to do liveries they had previously done.

• Like 3

On 05/02/2022 at 07:37, griffgriff said:

I would have used the phrase….. cutting the cloth.

Griff

Are you suggesting that Hornby should omit the curtains? :jester:

Just musing. I spend what I consider a lot and what would probably horrify non-modellers in the family. Nevertheless, my wallet is tight and each month requires careful calculation of spend. I don’t feel insulted. It’s merely a jocular expression. You know what they say about the German lack of a sense of humour? I have a German niece by marriage. I have to be very careful what I say because, although her English is excellent, she takes everything very literally. After one incident, the thought occurred to me, “Now I know how Belgium feels” but in a rare instance of tact, kept my mouth shut!

• RMweb Gold
On 05/02/2022 at 11:42, Ian J. said:

There are quite a few of us out here who didn't buy any in the first version releases. 

Same here. But it wasn't just the front that wasn't right. It was the use of traction tyres, poor running due to lack of pin-point wheels, the motor located in full view in the motor brake coach instead of in the brake end and, above all, the solid corridor partitions.

Seems Hornby have fixed most of these but I will wait to see. For my period I really need the all-blue version. The problem is that if I do decide to purchase one, it will cost me around 3 times more than the original one did! 

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 2

On 06/02/2022 at 13:51, RFS said:

Same here. But it wasn't just the front that wasn't right. It was the use of traction tyres, poor running due to lack of pin-point wheels, the motor located in full view in the motor brake coach instead of in the brake end and, above all, the solid corridor partitions.

Seems Hornby have fixed most of these but I will wait to see. For my period I really need the all-blue version. The problem is that if I do decide to purchase one, it will cost me around 3 times more than the original one did! 

I've got all three of the previous ones. The NSE brought first then the all blue when it hit the bargin bins at £80 and finally the blue/grey with a couple of enhancements that also hit the bargin bins. All three combined did not go past £300. 

Now the improved version.... hmmm.... like you, these liveries are too late for me but do I fancy duplicating one of the first 3 liveries???? And would it look odd running say - an NSE 1st production run with an NSE 2nd production one? Probably be a while before we see such colours by which time it might cost as much as the new APT.... which would certainly dissuade me.

It's great that Hornby have listened to customer demand for the VEP to be reintroduced, so I fully intend to support their efforts by purchasing at least the SWT one in hope we see further liveries. Connex, NSE and Gordon Pettitt would all be very welcome. I have two first edition NSE ones and a Blue one for our club layout, all picked up before the mad rush for under £100, and whilst they have their issues the dreaded M word resolved a number of them. I can even run an 8-car relatively smoothly!!

• Like 1

As far as the front goes does anyone know if Kernow or Bachmann sell the 4TC gangway doors as spares? According to Hornby Magazine it is a good fit into Hornby VEP. Might have to swing by Guildford next time I venture down south and ask.

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

As far as the front goes does anyone know if Kernow or Bachmann sell the 4TC gangway doors as spares? According to Hornby Magazine it is a good fit into Hornby VEP. Might have to swing by Guildford next time I venture down south and ask.

They are not available as a spare from KMRC, but of course you are always welcome to visit the Guildford shop! 

• Like 2

Well, given the VEP may not be perfect in its new guise, it’s a darn sight better than the original, and looks much better in the face, I’d buy one. However, it’s too late a livery for me as I’d want one in blue grey, or NSE Kent coast unit.

I had a 2nd issue blue grey one, which I was going to attempt surgery on, however, I never got round to it, and as I couldn’t live with its horrible face, and god awful running due to having traction tyres on both sides of an axle (don’t know who came up with that stupid idea with a solid axle and no differential) I sold it on, without regrets. Hopefully this will go better with my Bachmann units

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2022 at 20:15, Rich Papper said:

There are two spare doors in the detailing pack that comes with a 4TC. Alternate headcodes. Must have been easier than supplying a removable panel behind. 

Rich

Time to get saving up then. Once my partner is safely in a new job then 3 rest days should cover it. 

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, guspaul said:

Here is a picture of the retooled front end from the Hornby stand at Warley 2022

Prototypical bent horn, I see.  🤣  That's for flank protection - it warns anyone beside the line of the train's approach!  

It looks more like a 4-Vep than the previous iterations.  The face appears correct at last.  It's not possible to do the micrometer test on an angled photo to confirm the dimensions but the pillar width and spacing of the cab windows seems to be rather better.  

Do we have a low-profile motor or placed in the brake or does it still intrude into the saloon?  I understand the solid compartment walls were rectified on the later releases of the early models so that should not be a problem this time around.  

The remaining question is cost.  A 4-car unit is coming in at around the £500 mark now.  With the stress on "multiple" bearing in mind these EMU units were often used in multiple how many can the average modeller afford?  I'd like to think one might have a home here; my theme is 1960s but that includes the earliest of the 4-Veps which emerged for the 1967/8 Bournemouth electrification.  I already run an early-blue 4-TC so an early 4-Vep would sit comfortably alongside that.  

• Agree 3

I am planning on getting both the SWT and Southern ones despite the outlay, because neither livery is particularly easy to replicate, they are iconic (even if uncomfortable and draughty) units from my lifetime, and I think these liveries are unlikely to be repeated.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Motor is still in the brake compartment (motor bogie)

Lighting bar fitting included, so you can self fit a battery powered lighting bar in the chassis.

it’s also got new (less chunky couplings)

and a diecast chassis in the brake.. no more tyres 

also a nice touch, if you want to run multiple it is fitting with a proximity sensor in the cab roof.. tap the roof with your finger .. the lights go on/off

9C8517AE-1F31-4361-82E3-3AD4ECD07D7A.jpeg

7F447924-4086-48B4-BCED-9740DB866A41.jpeg

I’m overall very impressed with this unit. (I did see a JST connector through a corridor window, in the corridor.. it’s an EP maybe that will be disguised).. one to watch out for.

I was told to naturally assume other liveries will follow in time.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The carriage connector is a minature 4 pin connector, with a tiny stub underneath that push fits to join the coaches.. looks a lot like Dapols GWR tender /loco connector, but about 1cm wide, 3mm deep.

I take it from that design, its pick ups on all wheels as a common bus along the train to the chip… but interior lighting (optional) is the new CR2032 fitting under the frame with wiring to the light bar in the roof… so 4 bars needed for a 4 car…

End lighting I guess is off the bus (and controlled as mentioned earlier by touching the cab roof).

The sample I saw did not have lighting in the baggage area (it was dark).. as the motor was in there..

From this I deduce 2 different lighting bars… Mk1 passenger, and 1/2 brake versions.

With thanks to the Hornby designer showing me all this… I had his time for a good 10 mins or so... I liked the VEP and it was his baby and he was passionate about it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This looks like a worthy update, the model was fundamentally well done but let down by some avoidable errors like the solid compartment partitions and putting the motor bogie where it could be seen when there was a guards area in which it would have been hidden. I am looking forward to this one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, metadyneman said:

Pardon me for sounding a bit dense here but is interior lighting going to be an extra on top of the model or is it included in the price?

I’m taking it that the interior lights are an extra but that head/Tail/number lighting is included.

I maybe wrong here, but it was exaplined to me how to fit it, so I assumed from that it was an extra. 

But it wasnt clear (I didnt ask).

Edited by adb968008

19 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The remaining question is cost.  A 4-car unit is coming in at around the £500 mark now.  With the stress on "multiple" bearing in mind these EMU units were often used in multiple how many can the average modeller afford?  I'd like to think one might have a home here; my theme is 1960s but that includes the earliest of the 4-Veps which emerged for the 1967/8 Bournemouth electrification.  I already run an early-blue 4-TC so an early 4-Vep would sit comfortably alongside that. 

The Hornby RRP is still showing as £362.99, was there any indication at Warley that this might change?
In the current climate, this seems almost reasonable, especially with the usual retailer discounts... assuming they get any stock of course!

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I’m taking it that the interior lights are an extra but that head/Tail/number lighting is included.

I maybe wrong here, but it was exaplined to me how to fit it, so I assumed from that it was an extra. 

But it wasnt clear (I didnt ask).

A little disappointing considering the original offering was fitted with interior and directional lighting, however It will be nice to see the finished article when it comes out. I have the South Central (incorrectly branded Southern) livery one on order.