Unique chance to travel on inspection saloon "Caroline" in aid of charity

Revolution Mike

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

It was a little tricky to take good model photos for a couple of reasons - I'd not taken my G12 because my bag was stuffed full of video equipment. Even if I had, taking a set of a photos I can stack in a wobbly carriage as we bat through the countryside at 70mph, isn't conducive to decent results. That, and there was cake.

Anyway, a few snaps:

Front ends.jpg

Looking through the front.jpg

Modelside views.jpg

Underframes.jpg

Rainbow.jpg

Thanks Phil, as you probably know, I wasn’t being entirely serious. I just found it amusing that the EPs got quite rightly relegated to second place behind the food. 

Roy

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Thanks Phil, as you probably know, I wasn’t being entirely serious. I just found it amusing that the EPs got quite rightly relegated to second place behind the food. 

Roy

Don't worry, I know. Hopefully there will be a video next week with more detail and close ups of the interior - along with much discussion on exactly what should be underneath to deal with the toilet...

I popped over to my local at Northwich to see the special in the rain as per the attached photos. I got a few waves from those stood/sat inside Caroline but couldn't make out who they were but I did wave back whilst filming.

Cheers Paul

Screenshot_20220512-193612_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220512-193627_Gallery.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

I popped over to my local at Northwich to see the special in the rain as per the attached photos. I got a few waves from those stood/sat inside Caroline but couldn't make out who they were but I did wave back whilst filming.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul,

I remember being in the front saloon for that part of the trip and I am sure I waved at the person I saw on the platform which must've been you!

It was a fantastic day - thanks to our driver and driver conductor (as Phil mentioned above, the running commentary on the route was incredible!), the guard and stewards, to all our guests on board and to everyone who came out to take photographs despite the rain! It did brighten up a bit in the glorious Hope Valley!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Paul,

I remember being in the front saloon for that part of the trip and I am sure I waved at the person I saw on the platform which must've been you!

It was a fantastic day - thanks to our driver and driver conductor (as Phil mentioned above, the running commentary on the route was incredible!), the guard and stewards, to all our guests on board and to everyone who came out to take photographs despite the rain! It did brighten up a bit in the glorious Hope Valley!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben, it was touch and go as to whether I would get bowled by the late Manchester train formed of two 150/1s that you would have waited and then followed towards Northenden Jn.! But fortunately the driver and conductor didn't dawdle too long and got out my way haha. It sounds like it was a wonderful day out. Hmm Hopper Haunts mini-tour... lol.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

23 hours ago, woodenhead said:

With the basic coach shape done, perhaps the next RevolutioN model should be a rather nice class 203 in all it's glory.

I would agree that this narrow body creates a development opportunity for Hastings DEMUs - Class 203 would cover 1958-1990. However, not all of us can accommodate a six car unit. While not wishing to take this thread away from the inspection car, I offer the suggestion that a more flexible DEMU would be Class 205 2H/3H: a characterful two/three cars, longer period of use from 1957-2004, wider geographic area of routes, plus the standard body profile that could perhaps also be developed into third rail EPBs - !

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, ModRXsouth said:

I offer the suggestion that a more flexible DEMU would be Class 205 2H

Already tackled by Kernow and Bachmann.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ModRXsouth said:

I would agree that this narrow body creates a development opportunity for Hastings DEMUs - Class 203 would cover 1958-1990. However, not all of us can accommodate a six car unit.

There were 5-car units and one 4-car unit as well towards the end.

Roy

• Moderators

In the forthcoming BRM digital edition we'll have some lengthy cabcam video from Caroline thanks to Ben, Mike and the organisers.

A quick teaser on smearivision.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1