Lauterbrunnen bahnhof h0e and h0m

railway gun

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me ?  This seems to miss some initial postings explaining what it will represent, and in particular what the HOe is for - it looks interesting, and I'm all in favour of 'rule 1', but HOe for Swiss prototypes seems 'unusual'.

22 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Is it just me ?  This seems to miss some initial postings explaining what it will represent, and in particular what the HOe is for - it looks interesting, and I'm all in favour of 'rule 1', but HOe for Swiss prototypes seems 'unusual'.

I thought I had replied earlier, the Wengernalp Bahn runs on an 800mm gauge, the Berner Oberland Bahn runs on Meter Gauge and the Jungfrau Bahn also Runs on Meter Gauge, the Schynigge Platte Bahn rons on the same 800mm Gauge as the WAB, the WAB, SPB and JB all have rach rail for their entire lengths, whilst the BOB has it for just some sections such as the climb to Lauterbrunnen, Meanwhile Interlaken Ost connects the main line routes to those of the Bernese Oberland (and many others) so you want H0e for the 800, H0m for the meter and H0 for the full size gauge.

There is an odity in that the JB trains have to have their bogies swapped to get them from the valley floor via the WAB to their starting point at Kleine Scheidegg, so the WAB is large enogh to take Meter Gauge, I can only presume that by the time the JB bought out the WAB, BOB and SPB that it was considered too expensive to move to the slightly larger gauge.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I know little about that part of Switzerland. It's always good to know what someone is aiming to do when they introduce a layout topic.

Oh, and I've seen a report that posts earlier on Sunday in another part of rmweb had disappeared.

On 02/05/2022 at 00:09, zarniwhoop said:

Thanks, I know little about that part of Switzerland.

Most Swiss railways are either standard gauge (1435mm) [=HO] or metre gauge (1000mm) [=HOm].

However there are or have been public railways using 500mm, 600mm, 750mm, 800mm gauges. HOe scale models can be used for the 750mm and 800mm lines

800mm lines: 

Wengen - Kleine Scheidegg - Grindelwald

Wilderswil - Schynige Platte

Brienz - Rothorn

The most famous 750mm Swiss line was the Liestal - Waldenburg (750mm) Waldenburger Bahn (WB) which Liliput famously produced a steam loco model (G Thommen) in the early 1970s.

The line has now closed for conversion to a metre gauge tramway.  750 also exists on the border with Austria where the Rheine river maintenance and service railway is 750mm due to its proximity with Austria.

1200mm: 

Rheineck - Walzenhausen

600mm:

Emosson - Barberine

500mm:

Handegg - Gutannen works railway.

This is the rarest, as it is really a power station underground service railway but carries schoolchildren if the avalanche danger is high.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just as a side not the WAB has supplied Locos to both the other two 800mm lines, one of its early steam trains went to Brienz after the rack mechanism was converted, a lot of the old rolling stock of the WAB has gone to the SPB, no surprise as it's just down the line, what perhaps is surprising is that the early eletric locos from the 1910's are stil in regular use, the SPB still has a steam train which is very important twice a year, the SPB is shut during the winter an thus at the start and end of the season the catenary wire for the electric locos is put up and taken down, the work train for this task is steam powered.

Sadly the WAB got rid of its last steam Loco in 1918, most of them went between 1909 and 1911 with the first WAB steam train from 1891 becoming the No.5 Loco at the Brienze Rothorn, it was in regular use there until the 1990's and is still used as one of the two first generation trains they have in operation, I say the WAB sadly got rid of their steam trains because anyone who has ever had to walk from Lauterbrunnen up to Wengen after a mud slide has taken out the catenary knows it's a long walk especially if you are not fit

For a further bit of Info the WAB is the longest Rack Railway in the world 

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, DGO said:

Sadly the WAB got rid of its last steam Loco in 1918, most of them went between 1909 and 1911 with the first WAB steam train from 1891 becoming the No.5 Loco at the Brienze Rothorn, it was in regular use there until the 1990's and is still used as one of the two first generation trains they have in operation, I say the WAB sadly got rid of their steam trains because anyone who has ever had to walk from Lauterbrunnen up to Wengen after a mud slide has taken out the catenary knows it's a long walk especially if you are not fit

For a further bit of Info the WAB is the longest Rack Railway in the world 

With the number of far eastern tourists clamouring for trips to Wengen going through the roof, a daily steam train on the WAB would pull in punters galore!

1 hour ago, Gordonwis said:

With the number of far eastern tourists clamouring for trips to Wengen going through the roof, a daily steam train on the WAB would pull in punters galore!

So true, though typically most only look out the windows as the train passes throgh Wengen on it's way to Kleine Scheidegg, probably a good thing as I hear tales that those same tourists have used the area around the church in Lauterbrunnen as an open toilet :-( Then again with the new express lift from Grund up to Eigergletscher I guess a lot of people are saving some time on their hectic tours and no longer doing the Lauterbrunnen, Kleinescheidegg, Jungfraujouch then KleineScheidegg Grund route that they used to do.

Back in the 80's there was a Grindelwald photographer who would get pictures of the Tourists on their way up at Kleine Scheidegg and have prints ready for them at Grindelwald when they got back, I suspect with digital cameras these days that this no longer occurs.

57 minutes ago, DGO said:

( Then again with the new express lift from Grund up to Eigergletscher I guess a lot of people are saving some time on their hectic tours and no longer doing the Lauterbrunnen, Kleinescheidegg, Jungfraujouch then KleineScheidegg Grund route that they used to do.

Indeed I'm not sure where the majority of the Swiss public stands on the issue of tourist income versus 'eyesore' new buildings at the foot of the Eiger versus tourists making a carbon footprint to reach Switzerland to see the glaciers that are melting... 

3 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Indeed I'm not sure where the majority of the Swiss public stands on the issue of tourist income versus 'eyesore' new buildings at the foot of the Eiger versus tourists making a carbon footprint to reach Switzerland to see the glaciers that are melting... 

Well technically the top station of the new lift is mostly inside the Eiger, actually I think the top station looks alright, the bottom station however .... still you can only do so much to hide a car park, what amazes me are the VIP passes, 12,000 ChF for a year, I know drinks are expensive but your going to need to make a lot of use of that lift to justify the expense.

• 2 months later...