Thanks for this review - I recall 'Amberdale' appearing in an early(ish) edition of MRJ but I had forgotten about it until now. Seriously good scenic and architectural modelling and a real sense of place, but then as now the instantly recognisable motive power tends to somewhat spoil the illusion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for drawing this book to my attention.

I have not seen it reviewed or advertised anywhere.

As CKPR points out, the layout was featured in an early edition of MRJ.

(I have a full set of these but they are a little difficult to access, so I won't be hunting for it!)

There was also an article on modelling water, in a much later MRJ, featuring the layout. 

In addition a single tantalising photo appeared in another edition.

I was surprised that the layout did not receive the full blown "show case" treatment reserved for other inspiring models.

The impression that I got, however, from MRJ, was that Mr Harvey was more interested in modelling than in getting his work into magazines.

My copy arrived yesterday, whilst I was involved in the standard twelve hour day that County Premier cricket has now become, when playing away.

(I am the scorer nowadays, not a player, I hasten to add!)

A quick flick through suggests that a very few  railway aspects are a bit "iffy", such as yellow distant signals and a Fleischmann double slip.

These are minor issues and the general railway ambience and the rolling stock is most convincing, better than anything I have produced.

As for the scenery ~ I don't think that "excellent" does it justice.

Once again, Thanks

Ian T

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I've had a proper chance to read Amberdale over the weekend - and also Edwardian's very fair review (which I deliberately didn't look at as didn't want any spoilers!). I'm just bowled over - all I can think of are superlatives. I love the very gentle humour. The love the builder has for his subject is very obvious and the models invoke a very deep longing in me for a world that is gone. It's beautiful- and beautifully written.

My copy will go between "Narrow Gauge Adventure" by PD Hancock and "Winterstoke" by LTC Rolt - both of which must surely have been read by Amberdale's builder.

It's very much in the same genre - and of similar calibre to - Craigshire and Buckingham Great Central.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

An excellent review of Amberdale by Mr.Edwardian, thank you very much.

The MRJ articles were in issues:

63 (1993) "The Freelance Approach"  A general description of Amberdale and the thinking behind it.

158 (2005) "On Reflection"  Use of mirrors.

164 (2006) "Cool, Not So Clear Water" His various water modelling developments

269 (2019) "Ambleden Station" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

16 hours ago, DLT said:

An excellent review of Amberdale by Mr.Edwardian, thank you very much.

The MRJ articles were in issues:

63 (1993) "The Freelance Approach"  A general description of Amberdale and the thinking behind it.

158 (2005) "On Reflection"  Use of mirrors.

164 (2006) "Cool, Not So Clear Water" His various water modelling developments

269 (2019) "Ambleden Station" 

Judging from the photographs - and I may be wholly wrong here - the track of Amberdale looks like OO/HO Code 100.

If so, all credit to Mr Harvey for getting articles past the The Guardians of Finescale and into the pages of the MRJ!

limage.png.31203e8c7a4e9a1df1ddaa22fe8fef97.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Judging from the photographs - and I may be wholly wrong here - the track of Amberdale looks like OO/HO Code 100.

If so, all credit to Mr Harvey for getting articles past the The Guardians of Finescale and into the pages of the MRJ!

limage.png.31203e8c7a4e9a1df1ddaa22fe8fef97.png

image.png.63bb6ccc60184a07c708654b1627f4f0.png

It strikes me that the Guardians of Finescale have more in common with the Auditors of Reality...

As for the track, provided its painted and appropriately ballasted, at normal viewing distances you can't see that code 100 rail is 25% higher than code 75, or that viewed obliquely, its a couple of mm narrower... 

HERESY!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Heresy indeed!

The man on the right is being justly burned for his heretical insistence that there is such a thing as Finescale OO.

The man on the left knows better, as he is an acolyte of the Holy Order of EM.  Why, then, his look of concern?  Well, he has just seen the P4-men of the Apocalypse ride into view!  

image.png.f0321954ea4176962bdd9cf1fe443f82.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Inverted snobbery at its worst: there are no such people, and if you (re) read the editorials of early MRJs, they clearly state that the word “finescale” is a somewhat nebulous portmanteau.

I know the remark was meant humorously, but that’s the same excuse as Bernard Manning uses when being offensive. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

31 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Inverted snobbery at its worst: there are no such people, and if you (re) read the editorials of early MRJs, they clearly state that the word “finescale” is a somewhat nebulous portmanteau.

I know the remark was meant humorously, but that’s the same excuse as Bernard Manning uses when being offensive. 

I don't think prodding the P4 Riders of the Apocalypse is on the same scale as the offence that used to spew from Mr Manning.

I am sure they also wear such criticism as a badge of honour, as their's is the true way and such righteousness will see them ascend to the finescale netherworld whilst the rest of us burn forever in damnation at a neverending Hornby Christmas new model announcement sat on a burning spike made from a Railroad Flying Scotsman with the front coupling attached.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

image.png.63bb6ccc60184a07c708654b1627f4f0.png

It strikes me that the Guardians of Finescale have more in common with the Auditors of Reality...

As for the track, provided its painted and appropriately ballasted, at normal viewing distances you can't see that code 100 rail is 25% higher than code 75, or that viewed obliquely, its a couple of mm narrower... 

HERESY!!!!!

Actually, I may have been unfair.  I think it's more like Omnianism.

Once upon a time, in the days of the Great S4-P4 Wars, it might have been an intolerant theocracy putting unbelievers to death, but nowadays it's probably more "Visit-The-Infidel-With-Explanatory-Pamphlets" !

😉 

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

the book does indeed look like an interesting read.

It most certainly is!

My only criticism is that I wish it were a larger format.  Many of the photos are quite small, I would willingly have paid more to see all that fantastic detail in a larger size

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, DLT said:

It most certainly is!

My only criticism is that I wish it were a larger format.  Many of the photos are quite small, I would willingly have paid more to see all that fantastic detail in a larger size

Yes, and the fact that it would literally be impossible to have enough photographs of this layout!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Once upon a time, in the days of the Great S4-P4 Wars, it might have been an intolerant theocracy putting unbelievers to death, but nowadays it's probably more "Visit-The-Infidel-With-Explanatory-Pamphlets" !

😉 

As a  nonplussed observer of the P4 vs S4 vs everyone else feud of the late 1970s-early 1980s, the most bizarre aspect was the P4 Society's trading arm Studiolith (who became Exactoscale) actively refusing to sell to members of the S4 Society or even to 'non-aligned' customers who might be  purchasing on behalf of a member of the S4 Society (The command of my avatar comes to mind...).

Edited by CKPR
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Heresy indeed!

The man on the left knows better, as he is an acolyte of the Holy Order of EM.   

Ha, no one expects the Acolytes of the Holy Order of EM! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I have been musing further on this book, and on my and others' reactions to it. 

I return to the point that it's not a book about a layout, it's a book about this fictitious dale, using pictures of the layout, supplemented with commentary and poetry, to invoke that fictitious dale. As such the book is a success and a thing of great beauty and joy for the reader.

This means there are some practical differences between the book and an account of the layout. Thankfully, there are some behind the scenes pictures at the back, the all important layout plan and a tantalising glimpse through the railway room door. However, there are no overall views of the layout or views from the operator's of visitors' standpoint, or detailed accounts of the layout build. As the author explains, the pictures are created to illustrate the dale, not the layout, so are often taken from lower angles than normal viewing, or are views that cannot normally be seen, and everything is enhanced with photographic trickery such as trees and 'reeds' framing the foreground, smoke effects, new skies etc. In other words the views reproduced in the book only exist as pictures and you cannot reproduce those views by visiting the layout. The pictures I posted tried to illustrate that, but you'll just have to buy the book to see them. And you should!

This leaves plenty of room for a book about the model railway. Magazine articles can be tracked down, but in my experience are seldom sufficient to provide a comprehensive or up to date view of a layout.  I think about all the articles I have in my father's 1950s-60s RMs of Buckingham.  They only really add up to a partial view. Thus I was very pleased with the two Wild Swan volumes on this layout.  I should certainly like to see such a book about Amberdale the layout; not instead of the present book, which is a great thing to have done, but as an essential supplement to it.

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

Well, given Edwardians review of the book, and the brief mention in this months Model Rail, I've ordered a copy and I'm expecting it to arrive in a day or two. 

From the brief glimpses of aspects of the layout, I think that it will be a delightful resource for attempting the atmospheric variety of layout, an antidote to grit.  I'm not condemning gritty layouts, they have their place and I'll be doing one when I get organised.  I feel that the atmospheric ambience of Amberdale will inform Midsomer Brevis (Mk2) when that gets under way too!

As for "silly", I'm all for it!

20 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Actually, I may have been unfair.  I think it's more like Omnianism.

Which variety? Vorbisism, Brutherism, or the post-Bruther extremist sects?

• Like 1