Was 53809 withdrawn with the tender from 53810

All the  photos I've found of 53809 in BR days in the S&D picture books (& I've got loads) where visible, show it with what I call a 'coal hole' Fowler tender, ie ... a tender that has a coal hole in the tender front that the coal falls down to for shovelling out. The alternative is a 'coal door' tender which has a pair of large opening doors on the tender front that are opened for access to the coal.  These stand out quite a bit because they are a 'big wide protruding lump' on the tender front that is almost as tall as the top of the front coal plate, so they are noticeable.

Photos of 53810 show it with a 'coal door' tender, but one that has an extra smallish (a foot square maybe) box mounted on top of (what I think is) the normal (left hand side as you look at the tender front) tool box.  I've not seen this extra box in any photos of other 'coal door' Fowler tenders on the S&D, and only once in a non-S&D photo of I think as I recall, a 2P somewhere.

So, I believe the tender attached to 53810 was unique on the S&D.

However, some photos of 53809 in Barry scrapyard appear to 'half' show it with a box in this position as mentioned in my paragraph above.  Unfortunately I've not found any that show whether it has the 'coal doors'.

So I'm wondering, did 53809 acquire 53810's tender before it was withdrawn.  My understanding is that there were very few tender swaps among the S&D's 7F's as per an article in the S&D trusts magazine 'Pines Express' of a few years ago.  Unfortunately mine is locked away inaccessible in storage at the moment pending a house move.

Also, my understanding is that tender swops at sheds/depots were generally avoided if possible because of difficulties in getting the draw pin out to separate loco from tender.  It was easier to get the welding gear out to fix a leak ! 

Peter.

9 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

All the  photos I've found of 53809 in BR days in the S&D picture books (& I've got loads) where visible, show it with what I call a 'coal hole' Fowler tender, ie ... a tender that has a coal hole in the tender front that the coal falls down to for shovelling out. The alternative is a 'coal door' tender which has a pair of large opening doors on the tender front that are opened for access to the coal.  These stand out quite a bit because they are a 'big wide protruding lump' on the tender front that is almost as tall as the top of the front coal plate, so they are noticeable.

Photos of 53810 show it with a 'coal door' tender, but one that has an extra smallish (a foot square maybe) box mounted on top of (what I think is) the normal (left hand side as you look at the tender front) tool box.  I've not seen this extra box in any photos of other 'coal door' Fowler tenders on the S&D, and only once in a non-S&D photo of I think as I recall, a 2P somewhere.

So, I believe the tender attached to 53810 was unique on the S&D.

However, some photos of 53809 in Barry scrapyard appear to 'half' show it with a box in this position as mentioned in my paragraph above.  Unfortunately I've not found any that show whether it has the 'coal doors'.

So I'm wondering, did 53809 acquire 53810's tender before it was withdrawn.  My understanding is that there were very few tender swaps among the S&D's 7F's as per an article in the S&D trusts magazine 'Pines Express' of a few years ago.  Unfortunately mine is locked away inaccessible in storage at the moment pending a house move.

Also, my understanding is that tender swops at sheds/depots were generally avoided if possible because of difficulties in getting the draw pin out to separate loco from tender.  It was easier to get the welding gear out to fix a leak ! 

Peter.

It may be that 53809 has received a new tender tank in preservation.  Many preserved locomotives (particularly those from Barry) have had to have the tenders replaced due to corrosion.

>>>...My understanding is that there were very few tender swaps among the S&D's 7F's as per an article in the S&D trusts magazine 'Pines Express' of a few years ago.  Unfortunately mine is locked away inaccessible in storage at the moment pending a house move.....

Do you know the issue number? If so, and it's not too recent, then I may be able to find my own copy.

2 hours ago, RailWest said:

>>>...My understanding is that there were very few tender swaps among the S&D's 7F's as per an article in the S&D trusts magazine 'Pines Express' of a few years ago.  Unfortunately mine is locked away inaccessible in storage at the moment pending a house move.....

Do you know the issue number? If so, and it's not too recent, then I may be able to find my own copy.

I'm afraid I don't have the issue number with me.  As I said, mine are in storage pending house move (don't hold your breath !).  I've just re-joined the trust having let my membership lapse about 2016.  The last 'Pines Express' I have (with me) is winter 2015 no 279, so it's before then, though I suspect it's in one that's older than 2010 !  

On 30/04/2022 at 11:02, PenrithBeacon said:

IIRC 53809 has a tender that originated with a Midland Compound, but the preserved Midland Compound has a tender that was made for a Fowler 7F.

Sorry but I can't remember the reference. 

As I understand it, the tender fitted to the preserved Midland Compound was from one of the first batch of SDJR 2-8-0s (not to be confused with the Fowler 'Austin7' 0-8-0). This is evidenced by the shape of the front cut-out which was a throw-back to the tender cabs originally fitted to these locos. The tender fitted to 1000 at withdrawal was one of the hybrid tenders with a short Fowler body on a longer Deeley chassis and the only suitable replacement was a SDJR version.