A layout to run sectorisation & current stock?

jonhinds

Hi

I’m in the very early stages of planning a large layout loosely based on stretches of the Calderdale & Huddersfield lines. However, I’m wondering if it’s possible, given the changes in the network between the late 1980s and today, whether I could create something that could plausibly run both eras. Perhaps some level of modularity in signage & signalling?

1. The main part of the layout will be a long stretch of straight track, comprising two local lines and one or two express lines for InterCity and freight.

2. A siding or two would be optional but nice, if prototypical.

3. There will be a single through station, loosely based on Hebden Bridge which has remained virtually unaltered since its opening (aside from platform extensions, etc.). Thinking of having slots or magnets to interchange the station signs between BR and Northern/Metro.

4. Signalling could be an issue. I’m not familiar with this, but semaphore signals seem to have still been somewhat in use in the 1980s, and the design and operation of electronic signalling has also presumably changed? Maybe a plug-in modular board for working signalling?

I’d be interested to know if this idea is pie in the sky, or whether there are stretches of line that could work for both eras with minimal alteration.

• RMweb Gold

Signalling at Hebden Bridge went to colour light on the Preston side in September 1973 but remained semaphore on the Halifax side.  By 2015 all the running line signals were colour light but shunt signals were semaphore, I suspect when the running loops were removed.  The box closed and all signalling became colour light sometime after 2017 (that’s when the design was done so probably 2018/19).

If you are happy with ‘today’ being 5 years ago then I think signalling is likely to have been the same since late 80s sectorisation.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Revised to sectorisation not BR blue.
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks. As mentioned, the layout won’t be a copy of a specific location, more bits and pieces taken from around the area. In terms of traffic, it’ll be stuff that ran/runs through the Calder and Kirklees region rather than just specific to the HB stretch.

I was unaware the signal box was operating as recently as four years ago!  The combination of colour light and semaphore signals is really interesting as well.

• 3 months later...

I also would not worry about the station signage, if you base it on Hebden Bridge. All the signs are in the style of the Lancashire and Yorkshire (white on black) since it was completely renovated in 1997. I know that is somewhat later than your sectorisation period, but Rule 1 applies, and gets you out of some fiddly changes between periods.

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I see Bachmann Scenecraft's autumn announcements include a model of Hebden Bridge signal box, looks fairly accurate.

Ah, just noticed this is only available in OO and I model in N. Hopefully it’ll be shrunk down eventually (or provide a template for my own scratch build).