Peat Traffic

The S&D carries peat from The Somerset Levels, and there were several private sidings for the traffic.

But where did it go and what was it used for?

Clearly not fuel & there were not the large range of  - up to now Peat based proprietary composts for gardeners.

I am told that 'mrket gardens' may have used it and that whatever the local soils colour, market garden soil was always black as a result 

Does anyone have any ideas?

• RMweb Gold

Use as fuel prior to WW1 was fairly commonplace in the Somerset Levels and the surrounding area. It wasn't until the railways and canals started bringing in cheap coal that the use for domestic fuel was phased out. During WW1, and possibly upto 1924, when the works was turned over to anthracite based smokeless fuel manufacture, the Eclipse Fuel Company made peat domestic fuel briquettes at the works on Highbridge Wharf. Coal in that period was needed for increased industrial output.

I have a reduced footprint model of the works under construction. Locally it was known as the Winkle. It was a three storey concrete building, with lower height ancillary buildings and a pitch reservoir, which survived until the 1960s, although I am not sure when it stopped production of the smokeless fuel pellets.

These links may provide you with more information. It depends on how deep you want to dig, as to whether you buy a book on the subject!

http://avalonmarshes.org/the-avalon-marshes/heritage/peat/

https://avlr.org.uk/product/picking-packing-and-processing-of-peat-on-the-somerset-levels

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

There is some information regarding the Peat traffic on the branch in the book "50 years on the Railway" by Percy Parsons. It covers his career on the Somerset and Dorset in 1937 when he was a Porter at Edington and Cossington where he describes the peat traffic from Shapwick and Ashcott. To give you a flavour of what the book contains,  In 1947 whilst relieving the Porter at Shapwick he sent out up to 30 loaded wagons of peat and loam in a day. Some went to the Eastern Region via Templecombe, Kew, Hackney Wick and Willesden. The loose-loaded loam wagons had to be sent to Highbridge or Evercreech for weighing. Other wagons were loaded with peat Turves. Some wagons were for one consignment whilst others were one, two or more sacks for individuals. The peat traffic in the area was so heavy that empty wagons were always a problem, for a time an additional goods train was run from Highbridge Wharf with empties at 6.30 am.  I hope this helps 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1