Morris Models Lancing - Retirement

SR71

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Popped into Morris Models in Lancing on Friday afternoon to find it has signs up announcing a retirement sale. Chatting to the owner while he is looking to move on he is keen the business is sold with the premises as a going concern.

I have no link with the shop other than as a local punter with a strong interest in the shop continuing. Having given it thought over the weekend I'm realistically not in a position to even consider taking it on as much as I'd like to. I asked if he'd like me to mention it on here and he said yes so here it is. I hope someone reading is in a position to take it on.

I'm told it is for sale with an agent if you are interested and to note, if you do know the shop from pre-covid, is the opening hours are revised. If you don't it's just off the main A27 between Brighton and Worthing.

https://www.morris-models.co.uk/

SR71

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Morris's were always a great resource, to me and to all of us at the nearby Worthing MRC, so good for finding those little bits and pieces and a nice friendly supporter of our local show each year too.

As a kid just getting into the hobby, a visit to Morris' was an amazing treasure trove, stacked to the ceiling and many times my height back then with models galore. I used to love the large and varied 'exotic' collection of HO scale Herpa, Busch & Wiking cars, it was a great eye-opener beyond the 3-pack of Ford Sierras that Hornby used to produce at the time!

Hope it finds a new owner, would be a shame to lose another good shop!

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I always loved it as a kid, too.  Still have my first purchase from J. Morris's (as it used to be), one of the Mainline Standard 4MT 4-6-0s bought in 1976 when it was a brand new model from an exciting new manufacturer (of course it's no longer working, unlike the shop).  In those days you had to head for the back of the shop to find all the model railway stuff - not that I paid much attention to the rest of the shop as I walked through, but I seem to remember it sold furniture and lighting.  It was a long time ago... 

The non-modelling stock left the shop over the years as the modelling range grew.  I guess about 30 years later Morris's merged with the excellent Models & Hobbies of Steyning, with the latter's stock and owner moving to the Lancing shop.  It's still a 'must visit' when we occasionally pass Lancing on our travels - a good little shop that grew into a much larger, really good one.  I dearly hope it finds new ownership and survives and that Brian enjoys his retirement.

Pete T.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thats a shame, I often used to go there, when he was in Steyning.

Times change of course - I now live in Spain - at the time we were in Hove.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant shop, I remember travelling there from Essex when we started a garden railway in LGB, we were there for a few hours sorting through exactly the track we needed and sundry bits, nothing was too much trouble.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

And it has very convenient parking right outside the door......

My first visits there were probably 45+ years ago - I have relatives in Worthing so summer holiday visits to the shop were often called for.  Excellent shop - and I hope it continues.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not a store I was familiar with but on the few occasions I visited always came away with something.

A shame another one may dissapear, but the logistics of taking any existing store on probably too daunting for many.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/05/2022 at 13:00, James Makin said:

Morris's were always a great resource, to me and to all of us at the nearby Worthing MRC, so good for finding those little bits and pieces and a nice friendly supporter of our local show each year too.

As a kid just getting into the hobby, a visit to Morris' was an amazing treasure trove, stacked to the ceiling and many times my height back then with models galore. I used to love the large and varied 'exotic' collection of HO scale Herpa, Busch & Wiking cars, it was a great eye-opener beyond the 3-pack of Ford Sierras that Hornby used to produce at the time!

Hope it finds a new owner, would be a shame to lose another good shop!

Cheers,

James

I feel you regarding the H0 scale cars. As a kid I ended up being so enamoured with them I filled up a wall of my bedroom and 7 of those plastic Herpa shop displays with over 1000 models by the end of my teens.  A rival to my railway hobby. Long gone now and never to return as we now have Oxford etc to satisfy needs. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 02/05/2022 at 20:08, SR71 said:

Hi All,

Popped into Morris Models in Lancing on Friday afternoon to find it has signs up announcing a retirement sale. Chatting to the owner while he is looking to move on he is keen the business is sold with the premises as a going concern.

I have no link with the shop other than as a local punter with a strong interest in the shop continuing. Having given it thought over the weekend I'm realistically not in a position to even consider taking it on as much as I'd like to. I asked if he'd like me to mention it on here and he said yes so here it is. I hope someone reading is in a position to take it on.

I'm told it is for sale with an agent if you are interested and to note, if you do know the shop from pre-covid, is the opening hours are revised. If you don't it's just off the main A27 between Brighton and Worthing.

https://www.morris-models.co.uk/

SR71

Thanks for the info about him wanting to sell as a going concern.

I found the shop online today (Sat 16th July) & bought a loco. Whilst selecting my delivery details, i realised how close it was to my home in Brighton & decided to collect from the shop in person (when open).

Did a dry run on me trike to get my bearings to find it was closing. Got chatting to a dad & his young son about the shop to find not only had he shopped there as a boy but his father & grand father had also shopped there, needles to say, the shop will be sorely missed by many an aspiring train & model enthusiast.

I would like to re-iterate that if anyone has the means & knowhow to take on this piece of history & maintain it for the future

to please get in touch with the shop owner forthwith.

There are so few classic model shops in the south that to lose another would be tragic especially as this shop has been trading there

since 1964. His website home page gives more details.

I hope it's allowed on this forum, i've taken some pics of the shopfront, showing contact details & also a close-up of the shop door which shows opening times. 9.30am to 2pm  Mon, Wed, Fri & Sat only.

I hope this helps to save this little gem for future customers.

20220716_171539.jpg

20220716_171604.jpg

Edited by Timsouth47
Missing info from pics.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

As an aside, one of the last places where you can walk in that was still stocking Southdown Enthusiast Club publications (that's buses for those of you not familiar with the mighty SEC of which I have been a proud member since 1988!) although thankfully the Club still sells direct but public sales were always a good recruitment tool for the SEC which was how I got lured in...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Alas I see on their website the shop is now closed to visitors. I had hoped to get back again before they shut for good but life gets in the way.

Still available as a going concern to interested parties per the update.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1