Simple first time Micro Layout based loosely on PECO track plan 33

Hi All

I am considering having a go at a small Micro layout as I haven't got anywhere with my previous plans of larger first time builds.

The track plan I have in mind is the PECO Plan 33, China clay Terminal based on Meeth in Devon.

I like the plan but don't want to build as a clay terminal, so I am looking for suggestions of a different way to model it.

I don't have to use set track as i have some streamline points and track.

My railway knowledge is low at the moment so looking for some advice from more experienced railway modellers to set me away in right direction.

peco-setrack-oo-plan-33-a-china-clay-terminal-based-on-meeth-n.-devon-[2]-22431-p.jpg

peco-setrack-oo-plan-33-a-china-clay-terminal-based-on-meeth-n.-devon-22431-p.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

In keeping with the West Country theme, a Dairy or Creamery could be an alternative.  If you are taking it to say, East Anglia, or parts of North East Scotland it could be a Grain silo?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

A slightly larger version of this plan was actually built and featured in a modelling magazine (sorry can't remember which). The plan even copies the road vehicles used.

Hornby Magazine, December 2012. The layout was called Ashfordley. Very nice it was too!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As suggested above, a Dairy or creamery would make a nice variation on the plan.
However, you could also place a large goods building there, which would mean you could use any goods wagons you want.

It's a nice simple plan, and a good place to start if you've never built a complete layout before. And yes, I've said it many (too many?) times that a micro layout is something that is more "achievable" to many folk who perhaps don't have the time to create something larger - they can even be a way of experimenting with techniques and materials if you're looking to create a new, larger layout. Plus, they're lots of fun anyway.

Note that the plan above suggests two electrical "feeds" (the little red arrows on the right) but if you're using a Peco Streamline point, you will need to isolate the crossing Vee, and use a switch to change its' polarity - forgive me if you know this already. If you don't - don't feel daunted by this, it will teach you how to wire your first electrofrog point..... As an aside, I would definitely do this, and not use an insulfrog set track point... they look much better, and work better too (once correctly wired)

Best of luck with it, and happy modeling :) 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi,

instead of a quarry, creamery or whatever, hows' about a jam, preserve, sauce, pickle or similar food factory?  Various vans and opens  for produce, other ingredients, jars, bottles etc plus opens for coal, assuming the factory has coal fired boilers, and for replacement plant and machinery.

A distillery is a possibililty, maybe an abattoir or meat packing plant, tannery, clothing manufacturer, ceramic items, furniture maker...

I think I'll quit whilst I'm ahead!

Roja

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RailroadRich said:

If it was me, I'd replace ST-200 with a point so that it links to the back straight (where the station is). That gives you more shunting options & operating potential. 

Saying that I'd be tempted to do a dock type scene. I'd do it as a modern image micro with a Hornby diesel Sentinel & ferry vans. 

Good suggestion - alternatively, you could replace ST-225 with a point. Even if you only have a short spur / siding here, you'd have additional operational interest. Hmmm, maybe a cattle-dock? Perhaps and end-loading bay?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/05/2022 at 09:15, JohnR said:

Hornby Magazine, December 2012. The layout was called Ashfordley. Very nice it was too!

I was lucky enough to purchase Ashfordley from Roger Nicholls some years back.

I renamed the layout to Chebstone and did many exhibitions over the years, one of the last ones being at York, I think it was in 2019

While exhibiting the layout at York Roger Nichols came over for chat and we were joined by Paul Lunn who drew the original plan for layout in his book “Micro Layouts” (a book worth purchasing)

The layout has now moved on to another Stafford club member.

I believe has altered it to a small continuous layout and will I understand be at our Stafford Exhibition September 24th & 25th

How's that for recycling!

Terry 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1