Bachmann OO Summer 2022 Announcements inc. OO9

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Llanmadoc wasn't a bad concept, the Penclawdd/Llanmorlais branch extended along the edge of the Llanrhidian marsh for a limestone quarry/cement works, and excuse for big engines and NPCCS on cockle traffic.

That sounds like a brilliant idea for a layout. As a local of Swansea I can’t help but think that Branchline would be quite scenic too.

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Dunno, Ive found if looked after Mainline stuff will plod on.

Admit the J72 is a bit of a dud.

I still use several Mainline 56’s… it was light years ahead of its time.

Perhaps Mainline stuff fails if used intensively. When Bachmann produced the GW 0-6-2T with a new chassis (Itself a tribute to the quality of the body moulding) I dug out my old one – so old that I don’ know the date I got it (pre-1985). It was very noisy and jerky. I oiled it carefully, including the motor bearings, and it was transformed. It was still noisier than the newer one and not quite as smooth but it was acceptable. The first two Mainline models were the J72 and the Standard 4 4-6-0. The first J72 never ran properly but later ones were better but the Standard started me on a love affair with them. The black version was all right but the green looked as if green powder had been stuck onto the body. Mainline soon sorted that out and the finish on Mainline and Bachmann models ever since have been the best around. When the Jubilee appeared in LMS red it was absolutely stunning. In my view, although the mechanisms were noisy and rough by modern standards, Mainline models were streets ahead of Hornby, Airfix and Lima. adb968008 is quite right about the 56.

• Like 2

I must have about thirty Mainline locomotive models all bought at the time and then in the massive sale that Hattons had in the mid 1980s.

Most work fine with just general maintenance over the years. The only one that had real problems was a Class 45 that got a new motor and gears from Replica about ten years ago.

Oh and one of the "steam sound" tenders no longer works due to something like a snapped capacitor.

Worth remembering that many of the spares are still available. Some from Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby are direct fits. Look at places like Peters, who have even made their own versions of some of the spares.

I have got a dead J72 that is eventually going to be converted to a J71 using the Mainly Trains conversion pack. But the original one I got as a Christmas present one year is as good as the day I got it.

I can understand people having problems if they are running hundreds of real miles per year, but most of us don't do that.

But if they are dead and unrepairable, then get a replacement chassis from Comet/High Level/etc. Great as a first step towards kit building.

Jason

• Like 1

12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

In my view, although the mechanisms were noisy and rough by modern standards, Mainline models were streets ahead of Hornby, Airfix and Lima. adb968008 is quite right about the 56.

From a visual perspective, Mainline models were a massive advance on what was normal for the time. I've still got some of their wagons that I bought when I was a teenager that are in use on my layout now; if you look closely you can see that they're not as detailed as contemporary offerings but they certainly pass muster in a mixed rake of wagons or parked in a siding at the back (and even more so with some judicious weathering). But the locos did have a reputation for being unreliable. The only one of theirs that I've still got is a non-runner now, but I have a couple of perfectly functional (if crude) Hornby locos from the same period.

• Like 1

Wow. Picked up this week! Very unexpected to have such a short gap between announcement and appearance, lets just say a pleasant surprise! (Just realised that there's a separate EFE Rail thread so mods please move if possible...) 

IMG_20220513_134358.jpg

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm not entirely sure of this is the best thread, but as the practically perfect sale is mentioned on the announcement video I chose this one. Mods if you feel that it is better elsewhere please move.

Quote from the BCC Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/106888114980017/posts/pfbid0VBcxWwNqbqeUPKvZu71218Prg4nYsUA5Sm6AJyCJ4mxpPTcWa4uuswmSBtcwTdWCl/

Hello from the Bachmann Collectors Club.
We promised you last week some more information about our Club event being held at Quorn & Woodhouse Station yard on the Great Central Railway on Sunday 26th June.
The next Bachmann Collectors Club Limited Edition models will be unveiled on the day and available to purchase during the Practically Perfect Sale. This is one of the announcements we will be making on the lead up to the event. We hope to see as many of you as are able to attend the day.

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/05/2022 at 19:48, tommyliam021 said:

That sounds like a brilliant idea for a layout. As a local of Swansea I can’t help but think that Branchline would be quite scenic too.

It would have hugged the edge of Llanrhidian marsh, passing beneath Weobley Castle.  The views across the estuary towards Llanelli and Whitford Point would have been pretty good. 

3 hours ago, APT Fan said:

I was quite pleased to see this announced:-

Bachmann Branchline Class 08 Diesel Shunter in BR Blue livery as No. 08031.

But a bit disappointed to see that it isn't fitted with lighting?

None of the Bachmann Class 08 releases have

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, APT Fan said:

But a bit disappointed to see that it isn't fitted with lighting?

You'll have to hope someone offers a retooled 08. Hornby and Bachmann efforts were tooled up years ago and haven't received any fancy lights yet.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

You'll have to hope someone offers a retooled 08. Hornby and Bachmann efforts were tooled up years ago and haven't received any fancy lights yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if Accurascale had that on their to-do list - lots of tooling variations, long lifespan, lots of liveries, seen everywhere so would definitely fit their MO but nothing announced yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Surely there are after-market kits for adding lights (and/or sound) to the Bachmann 08?

You'd still need to drill holes in the body would you not? Unless the manufacturer has pre fitted lenses, difficult to tell from the pictures of it?

22 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

You'd still need to drill holes in the body would you not? Unless the manufacturer has pre fitted lenses, difficult to tell from the pictures of it?

Correct. They're just moulded plastic. No pre-drilled holes or owt.

• RMweb Premium

Express Models do an 08 lighting kit, though out of stock at the moment. Apparently it uses the existing light mouldings.

https://www.expressmodels.co.uk/catalogue/head-and-tail-lights/dcc-locomotive-lights-4mm-scale/dcc-lights-for-Bachmann-Hornby-class-08-shunters/dcc-Bachmann-08-shunter-detail

Ive had lights added to 2 of  my 08s. Olivias did one and roads and rails did the other.

Hopefully soon Bachmann announce a new version with lights and sound.

However im almost expecting Heljan to do it seeing as they are doing the 11 / 12 for model rail mag.

21 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Express Models do an 08 lighting kit, though out of stock at the moment. Apparently it uses the existing light mouldings.

https://www.expressmodels.co.uk/catalogue/head-and-tail-lights/dcc-locomotive-lights-4mm-scale/dcc-lights-for-Bachmann-Hornby-class-08-shunters/dcc-Bachmann-08-shunter-detail

It's highly unlikely they will have stock again as unfortunately Rob  the owner passed away a couple of years ago 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

It's highly unlikely they will have stock again as unfortunately Rob  the owner passed away a couple of years ago 

I didn't know that. R.I.P.

Do 'we' know who is currently running the operation?

Also, are there any other lighting kits for the Bachmann 08?

15 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I didn't know that. R.I.P.

Do 'we' know who is currently running the operation?

Also, are there any other lighting kits for the Bachmann 08?

I believe his wife and son were involved in the business but don't know the current state of play as far as making the products goes

I currently have all my lighting kits done by Jason Edmunds (stickswipe on ebay) , he's very helpful and has even created custom kits to my specification for me

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I notice the GCR signal box in GCR livery has changed somewhat with cream sections on the wood panelling.

Is this an earlier or later paint style than the previous Bachmann release (the wood panelling was only green)?  I cannot find any information on GCR building colours.