GWR solebar numberplates

• RMweb Premium

I've been asked a question which is outside the competence of someone who isn't much interested in anything after c. 1902. When were the rectangular cast wagon number-plates introduced?

image.png.7f48abec93ec343ab9c8e6f40b50daa6.png

My hypothesis is that they came in with the abandonment of the cast number / GWR / load plates on the livery change of 1904 but like those cast plates they were only used on new-built wagons and not retro-fitted to older wagons.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I've been asked a question which is outside the competence of someone who isn't much interested in anything after c. 1902. When were the rectangular cast wagon number-plates introduced?

image.png.7f48abec93ec343ab9c8e6f40b50daa6.png

My hypothesis is that they came in with the abandonment of the cast number / GWR / load plates on the livery change of 1904 but like those cast plates they were only used on new-built wagons and not retro-fitted to older wagons.

I think that you are somewhere near with that hypothesis and unless someone has the relevant minutes then your comment is likely to remain a hypothesis.  What I can do is to look through my copies of GWR wagon drawings and find those which include the rectangular plate as per your photo - hence we have a date of when the drawing was registered.   'Mite' not be before the weekend.

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1