LMS 50' Kitchen Car

Thanks, Robin. I had a look and it is a very useful resource. I found the  kitchen car diagrams.

Clive-  Very kind of you to post those two images.  Easy to find them quickly now.

Dave

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, drgj said:

Thanks, Robin. I had a look and it is a very useful resource. I found the  kitchen car diagrams.

Clive-  Very kind of you to post those two images.  Easy to find them quickly now.

Dave

Thank you Dave

All of the Barrowmore documents are free to download for personal use. That is why I lent my diagram books etc to them to scan and put up on their site. What is the point of me having information which others can find useful if it tucked up on my book shelves.

I even downloaded my own stuff off their site, much easier to find on the computer than remembering which book shelf I put the book on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 5

• 3 weeks later...

I have nearly finished this coach. I just have to glaze it and fit the handrails and door handles. 

My next question.  Which windows are obscured? I am pretty sure that on one side the door and small unvented window on the left are clear. How about the other side of the coach. Is the  vented window on the far right clear also? 

thanks

Dave

• 1 month later...

Very fine job you have made there!

Have you seen any images of these kitchen cars in maroon during BR times.

The views I've seen so far are of vehicles in crimson/cream.

According to the Hugh Longworth book the last ones appear to have been withdrawn by the end of 1963.

So I'm wondering if any survived in revarnished/modified LMS livery or ever got painted in BR maroon.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, jimwal said:

Very fine job you have made there!

Have you seen any images of these kitchen cars in maroon during BR times.

The views I've seen so far are of vehicles in crimson/cream.

According to the Hugh Longworth book the last ones appear to have been withdrawn by the end of 1963.

So I'm wondering if any survived in revarnished/modified LMS livery or ever got painted in BR maroon.

I have seen videos of the Caledonian Express showing one of these in maroon livery. Also, a pic of one in BR maroon livery. I suspect they were used in a lot of named expresses so would have received post 1956 maroon livery. 

Here are a couple of pics of one I built.

225768260_KitchenCar001.thumb.jpg.cab686fe0b25235be82fec61ad6142a1.jpg

622364216_KitchenCar002.thumb.jpg.40c92329fe2ea5bbf6a31257cf673986.jpg

Nigel Hunt

Edited by Nig H
pics added
  • Like 6

Thanks for all the comments/ likes.

Very nice model, Nigel.

I asked my original question on the kitbuilding forum but my coach is not strictly kit built. I used Comet sides, roof details and vacuum cylinders on a Mainline BG coach.  It was a lot of work  to end up with a coach that looks a little too narrow in width. The solebar looks a bit deep, too. Removing the top part of the solebar channel improved the look. I think the stove R is the same width as the BG so the Comet Stove R I have made is too wide! 

Dave

• Thanks 1