Signalling for Addleford Green

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

There must have been some kind of unmarked limit though, I can think of several examples where the points at the headshunt end of a run-round loop were hand points, without any signals past the home, and I've not noticed any sign of stop boards in photos of said stations - Hayling Island and Ventnor are two that come to mind.

Kings Lynn and Gt Yarmouth are another two in my area - was at the latter only yesterday and points, rodding and lever frame still extant with no sign of any shunt signals.

And the home signal shows a yellow (correctly) reading to the buffer stops (not a stop board).

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, dave55uk said:

Kings Lynn and Gt Yarmouth are another two in my area - was at the latter only yesterday and points, rodding and lever frame still extant with no sign of any shunt signals.

And the home signal shows a yellow (correctly) reading to the buffer stops (not a stop board).

But if there is rodding that indicates a ground frame to work the points and not hand points so no need for any fixed signals for movements through the crossover.  And the running signal can read to the stop blocks as it should in such a situation.

Is this ground frame still there?   I took this photo back in 2018 before the resignalling was commissioned and sorry about the contrast but it was a very sunny say.

1521696814_IMGP2905copy.jpg.991e759a90729deb272347b5ff805c1f.jpg

I have recently come across an Instruction in an old GWR Appendix to the Service TT that at one place a hand point in what amounted to a signalled route was to be kept clipped and padlocked except when needed for a particular movement. Something I've never come across  anywhere else

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But if there is rodding that indicates a ground frame to work the points and not hand points so no need for any fixed signals for movements through the crossover.  And the running signal can read to the stop blocks as it should in such a situation.

Is this ground frame still there?   I took this photo back in 2018 before the resignalling was commissioned and sorry about the contrast but it was a very sunny say.

1521696814_IMGP2905copy.jpg.991e759a90729deb272347b5ff805c1f.jpg

I have recently come across an Instruction in an old GWR Appendix to the Service TT that at one place a hand point in what amounted to a signalled route was to be kept clipped and padlocked except when needed for a particular movement. Something I've never come across  anywhere else

After the 1967 singling the WR had C&P facing points in the running line for the siding retained for Engineer's use at Sherborne. The complete absence of any interlocking made me glad that I was getting off the train before we reached that point :-)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, RailWest said:

After the 1967 singling the WR had C&P facing points in the running line for the siding retained for Engineer's use at Sherborne. The complete absence of any interlocking made me glad that I was getting off the train before we reached that point :-)

About the same time, following the removal of most suburban goods (coal) yards and their attendant part-time signal boxes, the Southern Region retained the trailing crossovers for use in emergencies and during engineering possessions by clipping and padlocking them. It didn't take long (five years, perhaps?) for the penny to drop that even unworked they wore more than plain track so they were taken out (although I believe that at least a couple of standard crossover formations were retained in store for a while ready to be dropped quickly into place if an emergency occurred).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, bécasse said:

About the same time, following the removal of most suburban goods (coal) yards and their attendant part-time signal boxes, the Southern Region retained the trailing crossovers for use in emergencies and during engineering possessions by clipping and padlocking them. It didn't take long (five years, perhaps?) for the penny to drop that even unworked they wore more than plain track so they were taken out (although I believe that at least a couple of standard crossover formations were retained in store for a while ready to be dropped quickly into place if an emergency occurred).

C&P trailing crossovers retained for engineering use were quite a common feature on the SR which - for whatever reason - chose not to provide ground frames to work them.

20 hours ago, RailWest said:

But presumably at that time it was still connected to Sherborne Signal Box - not that that makes it right but I wonder when the siding was removed as it isn't mentioned in the 1969 Sectional Appendix.  Where was the double to single (towards Chard Jcn) line connection  at Sherborne?  In view of an incident which had occurred elsewhere on teh Wr I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least scotched and maybe even spiked as well?

On 02/06/2022 at 11:29, The Stationmaster said:

C&P trailing crossovers retained for engineering use were quite a common feature on the SR which - for whatever reason - chose not to provide ground frames to work them.

But presumably at that time it was still connected to Sherborne Signal Box - not that that makes it right but I wonder when the siding was removed as it isn't mentioned in the 1969 Sectional Appendix.  Where was the double to single (towards Chard Jcn) line connection  at Sherborne?  In view of an incident which had occurred elsewhere on teh Wr I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least scotched and maybe even spiked as well?

On 02/06/2022 at 11:29, The Stationmaster said:

No. it wasn't - just a hand-point with the key to the padlock kept in the box ! It was on the reversible former Up line, hence it became facing to Down trains. The double-to-single connection was just a little bit further towards Yeovil.

At the same time, a siding was retained also for Eng Dept purposes at Gillingham. This too was hand-worked and C&P with key kept in the SB, but the difference was that it was a trailing point in the Down Loop. It was only later that it was converted to a facing connection worked from a local GF released from the SB.

Sherborne SB diagram 1967 Y.jpg

Edited by RailWest
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1