Painting on transfers

• RMweb Gold

Quite a while ago I recall seeing a video in which a professional painted was demonstrating lining a steam loco in which he painted the lining onto transfer paper before applying it to the model.

I am in the process of painting a Hornby HST powercar into GWT Merlin livery, in doing so I have made a slight mistake with the masking and ended up with a white band which is about half a mm too narrow (making the corresponding green band too wide).  This covers a length of less than one inch.  I dont want to strip the model down and respray, particularly as I am happy with the paint finish, one potential solution came to mind thinking back to that aforementioned video, painting some transfer paper the same white as the bodyside and applying the white stripe as a transfer.

So before I get the airbrush out,  I am interested to hear if anyone has attempted applying paint to unused transfer paper before (I have a couple of sheets of the Ink Jet variety with which to use, along with some plain white Fox transfers which could be repurposed. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I’ve done this in the past and it works well but I would be worried about the edge of the transfer material being visible in your case. Mine was a stand alone square of colour with other transfers on top. I’ve also made my own wasp strips using the same method for my 2mm scale Wickham trolley.

I guess you’ve nothing to lose by trying it.

Cheers

Paul

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It was possibly Ian Rathbone on the Right Track 3 dvd. He painted lines onto paper then peeled them off and transferred them to the loco for the boiler linings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224765709712?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2w7lNT9GS8i&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=h-I8RE2kQg-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

• 6 months later...
On 09/05/2022 at 16:14, The Fatadder said:

Quite a while ago I recall seeing a video in which a professional painted was demonstrating lining a steam loco in which he painted the lining onto transfer paper before applying it to the model.

I am in the process of painting a Hornby HST powercar into GWT Merlin livery, in doing so I have made a slight mistake with the masking and ended up with a white band which is about half a mm too narrow (making the corresponding green band too wide).  This covers a length of less than one inch.  I dont want to strip the model down and respray, particularly as I am happy with the paint finish, one potential solution came to mind thinking back to that aforementioned video, painting some transfer paper the same white as the bodyside and applying the white stripe as a transfer.

So before I get the airbrush out,  I am interested to hear if anyone has attempted applying paint to unused transfer paper before (I have a couple of sheets of the Ink Jet variety with which to use, along with some plain white Fox transfers which could be repurposed. 

I lined some 158s with the old Regional Railways livery (these are actually intended to be Thai 158s with the same livery) by painting onto white transfer film. A4 sheets of this are available from internet suppliers. After the paint was dry I cut strips with a craft knife and then applied the lines that way.

A4 size transfer sheets come as white or clear and can also be printed using a standard deskjet, the problem of course being that no deskjet comes with white ink. I model a very obscure prototype - in an obscure scale - so numbering and lettering is a challenge. I have got some decent results by using a desk jet and matching the background colour to the painted surface (achieved through creating a range of swatches first) and then printing that around the white numbers which are just the white film.