IKEA Uppdatera - a new boxfile medium?

Just saw this posted on the IKEA website the last few days:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/uppdatera-storage-box-light-bamboo-80520718/

Smaller and slightly more expensive than the Knaggligg, but thought it could be ideal for a boxfile layout for a few reasons:

- Interior usable space is excellent as the wood is thinner, and there are no corner supports

- You could cut a large window, leaving a column on each side, and support across the top and bottom, for strength, while still getting a large viewing window.

- You could even cut up the wood you removed for the window to strengthen the four corners, and you're not going to use up too much real estate due to the nature of the wood

Being 32cm this is much more traditional boxfile size than 46cm (although I reckon you gain back at least 5cm internally, 10 if you double the walls of the knagglig). It's lighter, and is more ready for immediate finishing - no need to put a skin over the top. I reckon if you support the corners a bit you could also stack them for storage/transport.

My only concerns are the height (15cm versus 25cm), and the joining looks pretty "delicate" by virtue of neatness... it may not be as easy to structurally modify as the knagglig.

If I get time in June I may get one and experiment. 

Anyone tried one yet?

• Like 1

Having recently built two box file layouts, this definitely looks do-able, especially laid on its side. Transfer sidings at a height - from narrow gauge to standard is what I’m thinking. A project for the winter perhaps, set in winter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Johnson said:

I'm in the process of a knagglig box layout build which is starting to take shape. It will be interesting to see what you come up with to build.

I'm following your build - and when I went to IKEA at the weekend I thought of you and your build - so went to examine the various options. These weren't instore yet, but I looked online when I got home to get a better feel for the sizes available, and saw these.

My layout plans have changed three times already, life and money get in the way, perhaps a boxfile might be the thing to get started with just in the interim. It's frustrating because I now have a house twice the size of my old place, so could feasibly build my roundy (with my short section as planned scenic wise) - but have no money to due to the house!

Edited by Nova Scotian

51 minutes ago, The Bandit said:

Having recently built two box file layouts, this definitely looks do-able, especially laid on its side. Transfer sidings at a height - from narrow gauge to standard is what I’m thinking. A project for the winter perhaps, set in winter. 

I hadn't thought of putting on its side, but that definitely seems like a smarter use of the space available - you don't need it to be deep so it gives you the height instead.