Is there anyone else out there collecting Chinese HO? Even a souvenir from a visit to China which now sits in a cupboard!

TEAMYAKIMA

Hello

I have a thread on here about my Chinese HO layout, but I was thinking that there may be others out there who might just collect Chinese HO. In particular, there may be people who visited China on holiday and brought back an early Bachmann loco as a souvenir - maybe it now just sits in a dusty box in the loft. 

Either way, I would love to make contact and exchange stories - plus I'm in the market to buy some of those dusty old souvenir purchases!

Please contact me.

I must admit I have an interest in the unusual and I think I actually bought the Roco KCRC 460 before the Bachmann DF11 was announced. I didn't realise at the time it was only a repaint and the buffers should have been removed. 
2018287825_P5120013(2).JPG.7e2f96e7e558c5f74fb53d6285bc45e4.JPG

Once the Bachmann DF11 was announced I was intrigued but not that interested. However, on a visit to one of my favourite shops I spotted one in stock and had to have it! When the second number was announced I pre-ordered it. I'm guess around 2001/2. At around £100 the DF11s seemed good value but once the range was increased and particularly the coaches were released the prices became too much and I lost interest in adding some coaches or wagons.

600011708_P5120009(2).JPG.8615065f6f57a76ab55a8a078825300d.JPG

1817463340_P5120010(2).JPG.9f2125e82083e6a342c2be1db1dcb1fa.JPG

The DF11s cost about 15% less than the Roco 460, but in terms of quality come no where near the running standard and finish of the Roco model. I haven't bought anything Bachmann since. I enjoy having the models and don't think I'm ready to sell them, but along with a Mexican ALCo and a few other oddities, they provide occasional entertainment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

I must admit I have an interest in the unusual and I think I actually bought the Roco KCRC 460 before the Bachmann DF11 was announced. I didn't realise at the time it was only a repaint and the buffers should have been removed. 
2018287825_P5120013(2).JPG.7e2f96e7e558c5f74fb53d6285bc45e4.JPG

Once the Bachmann DF11 was announced I was intrigued but not that interested. However, on a visit to one of my favourite shops I spotted one in stock and had to have it! When the second number was announced I pre-ordered it. I'm guess around 2001/2. At around £100 the DF11s seemed good value but once the range was increased and particularly the coaches were released the prices became too much and I lost interest in adding some coaches or wagons.

600011708_P5120009(2).JPG.8615065f6f57a76ab55a8a078825300d.JPG

1817463340_P5120010(2).JPG.9f2125e82083e6a342c2be1db1dcb1fa.JPG

The DF11s cost about 15% less than the Roco 460, but in terms of quality come no where near the running standard and finish of the Roco model. I haven't bought anything Bachmann since. I enjoy having the models and don't think I'm ready to sell them, but along with a Mexican ALCo and a few other oddities, they provide occasional entertainment.

Yes, had forgotten about the Roco KCRC 460. I was originally going to have catenary on my layout, but luckily I didn't go that route - I have enough work to do without adding that complication!

The two DF11 locos are both from the first production run in late 1999.

FCdeC "Chino" with a heavyweight baggage car on my under construction Cuban Mill layout. It is on loan to boost my stock until I've electrified and built enough to backdate to the earlier era.

PXL_20220512_184949583~2.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I probably own quite a lot of Chinese O scale, and years ago plenty of Chinese HO and even OO.

None of it is of Chinese prototypes of course, but it was made there. Does that count?? 😇  😂

You had me on the verge of a "WOW!" when you mentioned Chinese O gauge, but I soon realised the truth 😐

• Funny 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am interested in Chinese railways and have a few models, I prefer slightly older prototypes though I recognize that Chinese railways has developed a staggering amount over the last 30 years. The Chinese model train scene has quite a few suppliers now and standards are very high.

Is there much interest in pre-Revolutionary Chinese railways?  The Chinese Eastern Railway circa 1912, with its combination of Imperial Russian and US practice would make an interesting prototype, but the current Chinese authorities might take exception?

• RMweb Premium
On 24/07/2022 at 07:29, Tom Burnham said:

Is there much interest in pre-Revolutionary Chinese railways?  The Chinese Eastern Railway circa 1912, with its combination of Imperial Russian and US practice would make an interesting prototype, but the current Chinese authorities might take exception?

I honestly don't know, but most of the models are post-revolutionary era, and diesel and electric models seem more popular than steam although you can get some gorgeous models of the later steam locomotives. The era around 1912 is interesting as it is around the time of Sun Yat-sen's revolution, Sun is a national hero in China, something which caught me by surprise when I visited his mausoleum in Nanjing is that the flag of the Kuomintang features heavily. In all the years of Communist rule the respect people have for Sun has clearly overridden any objections to the Kuomintang symbols around his tomb.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1