DCC occupancy detection and mimic board LEDs not using Infra-red

• RMweb Gold

In the DCC questions topics page i asked about DCC occupancy detectors and feedback modules for hidden sidings and the need to have led's light up on my mimic panel when a loco enters the siding and when i need to stop it in the hidden sidings. I have tried infra-red but lighting levels and adjustments were very difficult to set up on all 6 roads due to the nature of hidden sidings etc.  I have reversing cameras set up as well, but they arent clear enough to enable precise stopping of locos before they go too far and impact on merging roads. DCC feedback modules and occupancy detectors commonly found on the market (Roco, Lenz etc) are great if you use a PC or tablet and software to control the layout but they do not have the ability to light led's on a mimic panel. I prefer the tactile approach and still use a mimic panel and switches for point control.

The answer came from a discussion with Dave from Megapoints at the Doncaster model railway show in February. I explained what i wanted, and he in return offered me the perfect solution. He was in the middle of developing the Megapoints System 2 boards for marketing after he built them for Pete Watermans layout dispayed in Chester cathedral. Even though they werent on the market yet, he told me what they could do for me and they fitted the bill perfectly. He provided me with 1 input and 1 output board (16 ch), 12 occupancy detectors and 12 blue led's  and sent me basic instructions to suit my needs. The boards can do a lot more than just light led's and all will be revealed when he finally markets them. I installed them over the weekend and they work perfectly. I am sure they are expandable as well making them perfect for anyone looking for a similar solution.

No links to Dave or his company just a very, very satisfied customer.

Here is one of his videos explaining the work he is doing for Pete Watermans layout.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is a pic of the System 2 boards.

Top connector blocks are wires coming in from the dcc occupancy detectors. Bottom blocks are going to the leds on the mimic panel.

20220512_231854.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I have used Arduinos and ToF (time of flight) modules to stop trains before they hit buffers

They give an output in millimetres as the train closes and you set a given distance to produce a response with the Arduino.

The devices are connected to the Arduino by I2C via a demux, I have 8 ToF modules per Arduino, each one gives a separate output.

Here's a demo showing distance measuring:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3316

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/05/2022 at 15:44, melmerby said:

I have used Arduinos and ToF (time of flight) modules to stop trains before they hit buffers

They give an output in millimetres as the train closes and you set a given distance to produce a response with the Arduino.

The devices are connected to the Arduino by I2C via a demux, I have 8 ToF modules per Arduino, each one gives a separate output.

Here's a demo showing distance measuring:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3316

That's a brilliant little device. I tried doing something like that based on IR intensity but this much, much better. It's applicable to both DC and DCC. I have taken the liberty of posting a link to the Pololu version in the Computer Control forum.

• 2 weeks later...