Class 43 DVT - front coupling

DavidBird

I have recently received the Hornby 91 and the unpowered 43 DVT.  With an Accurascale 31, I intend to model the train as here...

https://flic.kr/p/2mHWzLa

Although the 91 has a front coupling, the 43 does not.

Has anybody else modelled this train?

Have you managed a front coupling on the 43?

Is it as simple as getting a rear bogie - with the coupling arm - and putting it on the front?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DavidBird said:

Is it as simple as getting a rear bogie - with the coupling arm - and putting it on the front?

Thanks

That would be the simplest solution I’d say. Far easier than chopping around the chassis. Of course you would have the very obvious coupling box visible but it would do what your after. 

Slightly off on a tangent, but has anyone tried powering this model?

I seem to recall on the original HST releases the lighting boards were different in the motored and non-motored HST power cars, so it wasn't quite as simple as fitting a bodyshell for a non-motorised power car on to a spare motorised chassis (need to swap light boards as well).

I run a representation of the test trains that operated with a 91, HST DVT and blue/grey Mk3 sleeper cars, the 91 being an original 1980s version, which is ok but not the best runner (and has traction tyres!), so I wonder about motoring the HST DVT and using the 91 as a non-motored vehicle.....

Be interested to know if the coupling idea works, it was certainly possible to do exactly this on the Lima versions, but have not seen it implemented on the Hornby SD versions.

Depending on what coupling your 31 has, a couple of low effort ideas?

Use the supplied screw link on the 31 to hook over the HST draw hook?

Take the James Makin approach and fit a wire loop to the HST? Click below for a how to.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link to James Makin's Workbench link Jo, that seems to be the ideal solution, enabling the fitting of buffer beam pipework.

I don't envisage any propelling being done in this configuration, so I will just have to be careful to match the 91 to the 31 on their DCC speed profile.

Thanks

• Like 1