RMweb Premium - No Google Ads

Message added by AY Mod,

If you are still seeing Google ads or pop-up videos after registering for Premium please do make sure you have followed Steps 1-4 in the first post - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/171928-rmweb-premium-no-google-ads/

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

No. Have you selected the Premium theme?

Scrap that; yes you have but, as previously explained, ads may show in some subforums- Accurascale being that one. It should hopefully be fixed next week.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Still getting the ads pop up when viewing Accurascale threads and oddly a full page “overlay” ad when opening the Electric and alternative vehicle thread, which sometimes requires using the back button to the forum as the close button on the ad doesn’t work.

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2022 at 12:00, AY Mod said:

Some ads may still be seen on sponsored subforums such as Revolution/Accurascale/Strathwood/BRM etc pending a fix and trade ads may not be seen in some areas until we get that fixed. Premium users will see trade ads (but not Google Ads).

@boxbrownie

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

it was stated it was hoping to get fixed last week but still getting them.

It's necessitating some rebuilding of code to get it to work properly and I've not got a firm date on when that will be completed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Andy

My Gold membership has now expired so I'm planning to go for the Premium version.

Before my actions give you even more headaches, do I simply do as indicated in the first post on this thread?

• Moderators
Just now, Ray H said:

Before my actions give you even more headaches, do I simply do as indicated in the first post on this thread?

If it's definitely expired e.g. Exact magazine access unavailable then, yes, you should take Premium out afresh and follow steps 1-4.

If you do still have access to Exact it may be worth phoning the subs department on 01778 392002 and they can change the plan.

Let me know if you have any problems.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've spoken to the subscription department (and goofed thereafter).

We agreed that I would wait a couple of days before trying to switch to BRM Premium membership to make sure my gold membership was finally dead.

I then seem to have made a right mess of things having initially ended up buying a printed issue subscription when I wanted only the digital issue.

I spoke to the subs department again and managed to cancel that order. Many thanks to them.

I then went onto Pocketmags website (as directed by the subs department) and signed up on there for the digital issue of BRM. Finally sorted (I thought) 🙄

I already have Pocketmags subscriptions for Hornby magazine & Model Rail so I simply logged on to place the order.

For various reasons I haven't read any mags for well over a year so I'd forgotten that unlike mags bought via Exact Editions, where all the past magazines are available to read offline once downloaded, you don't get back issue access with Pocketmags although the mags you do buy through them can be read offline once downloaded.

As a result I've more or less lost exactly the thing I was trying to get viz: offline access to current and previously paid for but unread BRM magazines. The historical issue stash might also be useful if I ever wanted to use it.

I also have a subscription to Railway Modeller via Exact Editions - again with several issues as yet unread - but know that I can read the unread ones whenever I want to download them.

I logged on to Exact Editions and found that it appears that I can by the digital version of BRM through them and will have access to (my unread) back issues through them in the same way as I have that facility for Railway Modeller.

Is BRM soon to cease being available via Exact Editions which is why I was referred to Pocketmags?

I'll happily renew my RMweb Gold membership if I can read the magazine off-line.

(Sorry Andy, if I've created more work for you)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ray H said:

I also have a subscription to Railway Modeller via Exact Editions - again with several issues as yet unread - but know that I can read the unread ones whenever I want to download them.

Therein lies the problem with digital magazines, because they aren't there physically in front of you, you don't remember to read them! At least that's my experience.

While I'm not a subscriber to any digital model railway magazine, I am a member of a couple of clubs that moved away from a paper magazine to a digital one. Both I haven't read for months!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Therein lies the problem with digital magazines, because they aren't there physically in front of you, you don't remember to read them! At least that's my experience.

Same here

I'm a Camra member and get two mags: "Beer" which is quarterly and "What's Brewing" monthly

I haven't read either for a couple of years since going online but did used to read the paper copies.

Fortunately back issues are downloadable pdfs and I have got copies of several of each.

It's just a case of opening them on the PC, if I remember.☹️

My local branch has it's own printed mag "Pint Taken" which I used to pick up in 'Spoons in Bromsgrove but haven't frequented it for ages.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Ray H said:

Is BRM soon to cease being available via Exact Editions which is why I was referred to Pocketmags?

I'm sorry I failed to notice your reply today Ray.

Nope, Exact Editions is staying. Unfortunately you have been incorrectly advised and there's no integration between Pocketmags, World of Railways and RMweb. I can ensure that you don't suffer in terms of the RMweb membership of course.

My impression was that you wanted to step down from Gold to Premium and forego the digital issues however by coming off Exact you would lose access to the archive. With Pocketmags you will 'keep' the mags purchased even if you terminate that subscription.

I'll be in contact with subs on Monday.

• RMweb Premium

It's no problem Andy, I'll cancel the Pocketmags subscription (hopefully) and simply sign up to Exact Editions.

As mentioned before. there appears to be two different versions of Exact Editions. The one I formerly had (until becoming an RMweb Gold member) and the one there is with the Gold membership. The former gives you access off-line, you have to be on line for the latter.

We go on cruises from time to time and I while away part of the sea days by catching up with the off-line viewable magazines that I ensure to download before we set out.

That's why the off-line version is important to me (and why I haven't read any for a while - Covid has a lot to answer for).

Thanks again and sorry to lumber you with another problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've left it over a week and I still seem to be flagged up as a Gold member despite my subscription expiring on 21st July.

I don't want to break anything/cause more unnecessary work so do I wait for the Gold flag to vanish or do I try to sign up for premium and see what happens?

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Ray H said:

do I try to sign up for premium and see what happens

I just wanted to let things settle Ray but, yes, I think it's the time to do that. I'll be interested to see what happens when you do step 2 (Go to the Integration page - http://www.rmweb.uk/rmweb-integration.php and login with your World of Railways account and RMweb account and this should automatically reconcile the permissions so you get your extras as soon as you've signed in.) as it'll be the first one I'll have seen going in the reverse direction. If there are any glitches I'll get them sorted for you Ray.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I got this screen having logged in there didn't appear to be an integration screen.

image.png.6e2a8e6d7e95e28f2aaacaeaefeec563.png

So I followed your instructions on this thread's first post.

image.png.31429f245ace45b5a0dd2e37d5e5e881.png

I have now received acknowledgement of the order and a receipt for payment.

I've since checked one of my threads and I appear to now be a premium member.

I did struggle to find the "themes" because I didn't look any further than the Navigation Links box.

Many thanks for arranging this and for your guidance today.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Many thanks for arranging this and for your guidance today.

Glad you're sorted Ray, I wasn't sure if it would work ok but it has 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
20 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Still getting the Ads on certain threads.

I have given answer, several times (including the very first post in the topic), explaining which subforums still show ads and that it's pending a fix.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I have given answer, several times (including the very first post in the topic), explaining which subforums still show ads and that it's pending a fix.

I know you did Andy, and you did first say it would be done the next week and then said it would take longer.

Just keeping you, and others who might have the issue and be wondering if it’s just them an ongoing update.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
2 minutes ago, rayfry7 said:

Just signed up for premium via Paypal.still getting ads,theme drop down does not show a premium option ?

It's not an automatic, or instant process I'm afraid, so if you've "just" signed up no-one has spotted it yet and done the behind the scenes work.

We'll have a look tomorrow for you and get it sorted.