Dean Goods - chimney

• RMweb Premium

Please can someone here guide me.

I wish to upgrade the chimney on my Oxford Dean Goods and was looking on the Brassmasters website.

There are two versions available, one described as parallel the other tapered.

Despite looking at a number of photographs of Dean Goods locos I am still unsure what would be appropriate for a loco early to mid 1920s?

Also approximately when did the chimney style change?

Thank you for any advice given.

Richard

9 minutes ago, rprodgers said:

Despite looking at a number of photographs of Dean Goods locos I am still unsure what would be appropriate for a loco early to mid 1920s?

Either.

9 minutes ago, rprodgers said:

Also approximately when did the chimney style change?

1919, approximately.

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Either.

1919, approximately.

@Miss Prism thanks for the information, but did the chimney style change from parallel to tapered ?

I purchased a copy of the Locos. Illustrated 55 Dean Goods etc and was struggling to see a difference ( other than the v early ones appeared much slimmer parallel chimney with a copper cap). They all appeared to me to have a parallel barrel (or extremely subtle taper) to the chimneys ?

The difference is not subtle when you get used to it. The elevation angle of camera to loco does make a bit of difference in the perception.

dean-goods-chimneys.jpg.ae6d96a4571ea8716eb3eb0ec64aa806.jpg

Parallel chimneys went in and out of fashion. The general tendency however was for locos to get the tapered style, and this became dominant after c 1930. I've no doubt, with boiler swaps, that some locos reverted from tapered to parallel on occasion.

First, get yer picture....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The difference is not subtle when you get used to it. The elevation angle of camera to loco does make a bit of difference in the perception.

dean-goods-chimneys.jpg.ae6d96a4571ea8716eb3eb0ec64aa806.jpg

Parallel chimneys went in and out of fashion. The general tendency however was for locos to get the tapered style, and this became dominant after c 1930. I've no doubt, with boiler swaps, that some locos reverted from tapered to parallel on occasion.

First, get yer picture....

Thank you @Miss Prism that is most helpful, I am very grateful for your assistance.

Richard