Maidstone Barracks in N gauge

sf315

Hello all it’s time to reveal my new longish term project for a new N gauge layout. 

Its going to be Maidstone Barracks station and EMU berthing sidings. 

Before you all jump on the wagon and say Paul Wade of Tonbridge West Yard game did it in OO a few years ago. I know he did and I am fortunate in the fact that Paul is a good friend of mine and I’ve had access to his archives and also his models of the buildings he did for the layout as he still has them. 

My idea is to have the main lines with the berthing sidings on the inside of the layout. 

Those familiar with the area or can remember Paul’s layout my background will be the builders yard and buildings and the gas board land. 

Which is the opposite way to the way Paul built his. 

Rolling stock will use my existing Tanners Hill stock. 

The intension is to build it a bit nondescript time wise so I can go back to pre Network South East and run my Farish 4 CEP units as well as all blue EPB units I’ve got to build. 

I have already made a start using plans, notes and his 4mm model from Paul I have scratchbuilt the station building from plasticard and strip. I’ve also built a general store in the builders yard . The waiting shelter is 3D printed drawn by myself and my brother and resin printed by Andrew Porter. This is just a test print pictured. 

The layout will have a footprint of 8x2 feet. 

C0751FDC-33E4-41BE-AEBF-7B53BD4E7316.jpeg

C50DDFDC-D9BD-4B7D-95C9-23FA741B2F02.jpeg

F6A21BFB-7E3B-49E7-8D0E-E906DEBC09D1.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 5

Following this thread with keen eyes!!

It was only a few weeks ago I was able to visit Paul’s excellent Tonbridge West Yard. Unfortunately I never saw Maidstone Barracks but look forward to seeing it modelled in N Gauge.

1B628511-8AF9-471E-8C70-4A9B68FE2E8F.jpeg.efc19018eb9e3156fab05909cef8c884.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

Following this thread with keen eyes!!

It was only a few weeks ago I was able to visit Paul’s excellent Tonbridge West Yard. Unfortunately I never saw Maidstone Barracks but look forward to seeing it modelled in N Gauge.

1B628511-8AF9-471E-8C70-4A9B68FE2E8F.jpeg.efc19018eb9e3156fab05909cef8c884.jpeg

Spent many an hour sitting in that place in fact the settee that’s in there is named after me it’s called the Farmer snug. 

I never saw his model of Maidstone 

only bits of it he’s still got. 

Ive visited the station a few times over the years and always thought it was an interesting place nothing great or majestic about it but an everyday sort of place that’s disappeared from our railway system. 

19 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Great to learn another Kent layout in the offing, and from the 70's/80's onwards.

This might be of use, if you have not already seen it:

https://www.kentrail.org.uk/maidstone barracks.htm

Yes thanks Mike I had seen it and meant to link it to a post to let folks know about what the station is for those not familiar with it. 

Thanks for doing it for me. 

Just to add if anyone has any pics of the station they’d like to share please post. 

I would love to see them and I am sure Paul Wade would as well. 

Thanks 

Steve. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Benjamin Brady said:

Really looking forward to seeing this development, it shall be well executed by yourself 

Think it's a really good plan you know. 

Are you butchering some MK1s up to make the units 

A lot of the Stock I’ve got. 

Units will be done from old clear Farish coaches with etched brass sides or a mate is now doing 3D printed bodies of certain southern EMUs. 

5 hours ago, Benjamin Brady said:

So there should be plenty of EMU variety then, and of course all those Hoo to Tonbridge trip workings 

Plus the aggregates from Allington and Aylesford, and the paper mill at New Hythe, which was still operating then. Plenty of scope for freight workings.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I bought the curves and curved points from Warley. These are for the single leads from the fiddle Yard behind the layout which will split into two at the front giving the impression of double track through the station and scenic part. 

I do this as many of the trains will be EMUs so can go either way round with the freights going loco first whichever way. I do this on Tanners Hill, Lymebrook Yard and Farmers Drove. 

I can start to plan how it will fit. 

For those familiar with the real place it’s looking like the scenic break will be the road bridge and the old snooker hall one end and with a bit of for shortening the London road bridge the other as I would like to get the crossover in at that end. 

Like I said above I’ll hopefully get the boards up and can perhaps show a track plan of the viewing side. 

Thanks Steve

• Like 1