Warning, When a bit of an interest becomes a lot of an obsession.

cypherman

Hi all,

I have always had a bit of a love for BR green diesels. Well about 6 months ago I had the chance to get 4 diesels I had as a child for a ridiculously cheap price. That means they are about 50 years old now so in my opinion count as vintage. All Triang and all in green. A class 31, class 35 Hymek, class 37 and a class 47. So I bought them. All my childhood diesels back. Problem with this though is that it left me thinking 'I like diesels in this livery and all I have are these 4 plus 2 Triang dmu sets, Wrenn 08 and  Lima 08 in BR green'. I started to look around for any other BR diesels in green and the urge to buy them grew. It grew so much that this is what I ended up buying as well. Although it looks like I bought 2 Lima class 37's one of them is a hybrid on a Lima modified chassis with an upgraded and modified Hornby body. I bought the modified one first so the purist in me said I had to buy an unmodified one as well...... :). The modified class 37 is the one in the last picture. I did buy both the Hornby class 33 and the Lima one. Strangely enough the only diesel I have had any issues with is the newest one I bought. The Hornby class 33 which keeps derailing when it comes to a stop. The power bogie tilts forwards  allowing the back wheels of the bogie to lift and twist the bogie to one side. This cause the power bogie to come off the rails. It is very loose in its mounting, But it is all intact. Any ideas of a fix for this. I am considering shimming up the gap to make it less loose and possibly putting a piece of copper strip to act as a spring when it lifts to keep the wheels down. It is on my long list of jobs to do.

Please note that I am not including all my Hornby Dublo diesels in my list of BR green diesels that I have. They are all green as well.

Triang class 47.JPG

Triang class 37.JPG

Triang class 35 Hymek.JPG

Triang class 31.JPG

Hornby class 25.JPG

Hornby class 29.JPG

Hornby class 33.JPG

Hornby Hunslet.JPG

Lima class 20.JPG

Lima class 31.JPG

Lima class 33.JPG

Lima class 37.JPG

Lima class 40.JPG

Lima class 47.JPG

Lima class 73.JPG

Lima Deltic.JPG

Lima Warship.JPG

Lima Western.JPG

Mainline class 45.JPG

Lima-Hornby class 37.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 7

Hi all,

Well here's an update on the BR green diesels. Just after posting here a friend of mine who is more into diesels sent me an offer to buy all the Lima engines I have shown here. The offer is too good to refuse, and I have accepted. I know they will be more appreciated and used by him rather than just sat in their boxes with me. So tomorrow they will have a new home when I drop them off. My credit card will make a huge sigh of relief when I pay the money for them back in to it...... :) . I have kept the Triang Diesels for my self. They were the ones that started this collection and the ones I really wanted. Not sure what I will do with the later Hornby ones. May sell them on. What a fast and strange world we live in.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

I fully understand. I wasn't going to collect diesels at all ( apart from the three or four I already had!). That didn't last long....

Tri-ang is most definitely vintage. It's all at least fifty years old. (A vintage car is defined as built between 1919 and 1930, but I remember the the term in use in the fifties when they they would have been only 30/40 years old.)

Motor bogies rocking about is the result of the typical model practice of pivoting the bogie at roof level rather than solebar level like the prototype. Some sort of damping or springing is required to alleviate the effect. Tri-ang's Magnadesion works well, but has the serious snag of requiring steel rails.

• Like 1