Point detailing

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some help and advice on detailing points and how to go about it. The photos show two express points I have on my layout here just before the four track section of my layout. I've begun to place some details loosely such as point heaters and dummy point motors. I have some orange trunking and relay boxes along with concrete trunking ready to fit into place as well.

I've also purchased some dummy westinghouse point motors as well but just don't know what will be better, either these Peco dummy point motors or the Westinghouse point motors. Also not sure what else is needed for points like these. I assume that I would need mechanical point locks and possibly one or two linesinde telephones but I don't exactly know. My entire layout is in OO gauge and is fictionaly based around the West Coast Mainline in the West Midlands region of the BR era in the 1980s - the present day if this also helps.

IMG_0993.JPEG

IMG_0995.JPEG

• RMweb Premium

Mechanical point lock (ie Facing Point Lock) not needed as they are an integral part of the point machine. Lineside telephones would be required, but necessarily needed at each "point end". Normally a Signal Post Telephone is provided at each signal capable of displaying a red aspect. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iands said:

Mechanical point lock (ie Facing Point Lock) not needed as they are an integral part of the point machine. Lineside telephones would be required, but necessarily needed at each "point end". Normally a Signal Post Telephone is provided at each signal capable of displaying a red aspect. 

Okay that’s good to know. Would the point motors here be suitable for the location and the era? Or would the Westinghouse point motors be better?

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, nhdesigns said:

Okay that’s good to know. Would the point motors here be suitable for the location and the era? Or would the Westinghouse point motors be better?

That’s an (SGE?)/AEI/GEC/Alstom HW machine.  More likely to be seen at the southern end of the West Coast I think, but became almost the standard machine other than clamp locks.

You need to move it (them) half a sleeper bay towards the point toes so that the centre ‘wings’ line up with the tiebar and the other ‘wings’ line up with the toes.

Some argue that the Peco model is a bit wide, but if 16.5mm is good enough for track gauge, then the Peco machine is no worse.  It certainly looks like an HW machine.
Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

That’s an (SGE?)/AEI/GEC/Alstom HW machine.  More likely to be seen at the southern end of the West Coast I think, but became almost the standard machine other than clamp locks.

You need to move it (them) half a sleeper bay towards the point toes so that the centre ‘wings’ line up with the tiebar and the other ‘wings’ line up with the toes.

Some argue that the Peco model is a bit wide, but if 16.5mm is good enough for track gauge, then the Peco machine is no worse.  It certainly looks like an HW machine.
Paul.

It looks to me a bit of a mixture of Westinghouse M3A at one end and Westinghouse 63/HW at the other end.  But overall most people wo 't notice and it's great if it is being mounted the right way round because the. number I've seen the wrong way round on layouts at shows greatly outnumbers the ones that are the right way round.

Your telephones need to be a bit further from the track, they should be positioned so that anyone using them is in a position if safety - ie able to stand at least 4' (16mm) from the nearest rail or 6'6" (26mm) if the linespeed is over 100mph. 'Zone phones' would be common around any concentration of points as well as any SPTs which happened to be nearby, they were used to communicate with the poor unfortunate sent to wind points by hand in the rain when they failed, or with the S&T for routine testing.  

Cables would run from each piece of equipment back to the trunking, whichever side the trunking is on, orange pipes to take cables under the track are correct for the1980s as far as I recall but out of favour now. They were supposed to protect cables from tampers but in practice they just made them easier to hit  

Nice to see this sort of detail being added, as a signalman I tripped over plenty of it. 

• Like 2