Roco Sound Decoders

JST

Due to the apparent shortage of Zimo decoders I have been looking at Roco items and have a few questions:-

1 Are they in fact rebadged Zimo chips.

2 Can I load sound projects using my Z21.

3 If the decoder comes pre loaded with sound, can I change this.

I can buy this decoder here in France for a decent price so I thought it may be worth considering.

https://www.latelierdutrain.com/decodeur-digital-sonore/112070-decodeur-digital-sonore-a-8-poles-roco-fleischmann-10890-9005033108908.html?search_query=Zimo&results=46

A lot of Roco decoders are made by Zimo.   

Yes you can load sound projects (if you have a suitable sound project available, or have bought one with a load-key to match the individual decoder you've bought).   

Yes, you can change sounds on something which comes pre-loaded (though you will then loose the pre-loaded sounds, whatever they are). 

The one referenced states clearly it is a Zimo MX645.   Note that Zimo are swapping production of sound decoders to the new MS series to replace the MX series.  You might want to factor that into any decisions around pricing.  

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Nigel. Yes, I am aware that the MX series are being replaced but all my MX decoders work fine for me and maybe the MS series will be more expensive.