exLSWR G6 info sought

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

One of our tiny FB group scratchbuilt a exLSWR G6 and it seems an ideal subject for ‘build not buy’ as there is currently no acceptable 4mm G6 on the market. 

BB088537-F410-4ADB-BE07-E285AD2E9323.jpeg.e3a80bacabd5c882f26fca573896f35b.jpeg

May I ask if a good drawing on the G6 exists, that would be a good start. 

Mike Arnold built the G6 to fit on a proprietary chassis, the body is plasticard, rolled boiler and cast boiler fittings. If a drawing  and the necessary bits can be sourced, the build will be photographed at every stage and posted on RMweb as well as here

Thank you and StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson
Added live link

In the book  LSWR Locomotives The Adams Classes, by D.L. Bradley there is a side and  plan general arrangement drawing, both are sectional views with may items dimentioned but difficult to read. the scale is just under 7mm to the foot.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

finecast still offer their G6 bodyline kit and chassis : http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/PriceList.pdf.

Just don't expect a quick response from them, if at all if communicating by email. Their MD said 'answering emails is a waste of time' If it is not in stock then based on what he said over the phone in February you could be waiting up to 18 months for any parts. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I am still waiting for an order from last April for parts, which they have not promised before August 2023 - these are just some bits for a 4f 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

The SEF G6 is the reason why it is better to scratchbuild a G6. 

What about the Alan Gibson G6 kit Jack? That builds into a fine model.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• 1 year later...

Hi, since I found this Special Interest forum, I have seen many interesting posts. Not an area I really know about as I am an Eastern/Great eastern area guy.

I saw information about a LSWR loco the 'G6'. when I looked into the history I came across several photos. My question is probably something already covered elsewhere. Obviously the photos are only black and white. During the "Southern Railway" era were these loco finished in the various greens or were they "Goods Black". The Great Eastern had the famous Blue which was restricted to passenger locos and Black for goods, even within the same class (Y14 (J15)) for example. I wondered if the same situation applied elsewhere.

G6s were yard/depot shunting engines, they would have been finished in the plainest livery applicable at the period concerned. The base colour would have been dark holly green (almost black) in LSWR days and black subsequently.

Hi, thanks for that, I guess like most of us north of the Thames, I originally thought all Southern  Railway locos were green. Glad I found this forum, very interesting. So from reading the last posting, black locos were a late arrival on Southern rails. 

9 hours ago, Typeapproval said:

Hi, thanks for that, I guess like most of us north of the Thames, I originally thought all Southern  Railway locos were green. Glad I found this forum, very interesting. So from reading the last posting, black locos were a late arrival on Southern rails. 

I think @Wickham Green too was referring to the goods locos being painted black after grouping, but with green lining until 1935. There were black locos south of the Thames well before that. The LBSCR, starting from 1906, used a black livery for its goods locos, albeit with red lining, although many post-WW1 repaints were in umber, as the paint was cheaper! The original lined black livery could be seen for several years after grouping.

11 hours ago, Typeapproval said:

Kirtley's LCDR livery ( 1874-1898 ) was black - SECR 'wartime' grey tended to turn black - Southern goods locos were black ( lined with green until 1935 ) - pretty well everything was black from 1941 'til post war. Needless to say these are theoretical dates and new liveries took time to apply and old liveries would have been seen for ages afterwards.