Johnson Midland railway class 1134 '0F' 0-4-0ST .... help required

Hello, 

I have acquired a 4mm set of Etches to build the Johnson Midland Railway  class 1134  0-4-0ST

I am hoping to build a loco that lasted into BR service,  eg  41518 or 41523.

My lack of knowledge means I have ta ask the following 'maybe' basic questions,  apologies.

*  What Castings will I require,    for example what type of Chimney , Dome,  Sand boxes , Whistle. etc, etc ..

*  What are the size of wheels I require and the number of spokes ?

So basically I am asking for a list of Castings required, and from where I might be able to purchase these ? 

All help gratefully received,  many thanks,  Ian 

• RMweb Gold

You may need to get a book such as this;

https://wildswanbooks.co.uk/Books/Midland-Locomotives-Vol3.htm which cover the locomotive you are planning to build. 

It "may" have drawings or other info which will help identify the parts you may need. I cannot say what this book contains so recommend you search books with the exact class you are looking for and make sure it has drawings. I have other Midland loco books so will look tonight for you.

Alan Gibson, 247 Develpoments, Markits are my usual go to vendors for detailing items for loco's.

Ian

Assuming you have a copy of Dave's etches, why not ask the man who most likely created them - @k22009?  He provided a set of resin castings with the etches and probably could again if you ask.  There was also a hefty set of instructions and notes provided too.

You would need to scratchbuild the Deeley-ish cab for 41518 after it was shopped in 1950.

20 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

it "may" have drawings or other info which will help identify the parts you may need.

No drawings except the weight diagram - why not read through the original test build thread? I think everything gets covered as it goes.

• Like 2

Whenever someone is posting about Mr Johnson's yard shunting engines, I shall appear...!   Both 41518 and 41523 are in my building stash, with another being build as the testbed before I get to doing a good job of them, especially 41523 as a Burton engine.

Depending on your chosen level of accuracy, there are some issues with the kit as it comes and are the fault of the old Railway Modeller profiles used to draw the etches more than anything else and it all goes together nicely built from the box. When you start to make changes however...

The single most noticeable problem if you start looking more closely, is that the windows in the cab sheets are too low when compared to prototype pictures.  You mileage may vary in how much this bothers you!  (and for 41518 after 1950, doesn't matter)

It was one of the reasons my build stalled earlier in the year as I had just about gone through detailing the cab and scratchbuilt a more appropriate backhead when I noticed, so it went back into the thinking box while I pondered on that and also the steam brake arrangement which is glossed over in the kit! I did mean to ask K22009/Dave about this alongside some other minor improvements if he was at all interested in revising the etches once I'd finished my test build.

There are no commercially available domes of the right profile that I know of (filed in the 'learn about 3D printing' part of my mind, if there are, let me know, I need 4...), chimneys varied over time, both 41518 and 41523 ending up with a tapered stovepipe profile rather than the more original rounded Johnson chimneys that I also don't think are available separately.  Closest chimney would be in the Brassmasters' Deeley tank kit, if they are willing to sell separately (they weren't when I asked about Jinty chimneys). Same goes for the smokebox door for BR days, if not 247's 15mm MR smokebox door would be close, but may or may not have the securing 'dogs' in the right places.

If you don't get a reply back from K22009, let me know and I could copy the instructions for you, and because everyone loves pictures, here's my build #1, loosely placed together.

testbuild1.jpg.25a30549da5499847e86fa221b4cff28.jpg

Edit - frontsheet window issues -shapes also vary by prototype!

frontsheet.png.92e15cc4d7867f6a4fe71a56ae683e00.png

Edited by 41516
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1