Rail Blue and pre 1985 warning yellow - both in aerosol?

Quick question as someone may be able to definitely answer. I’m trying to source rattle can versions of both Rail Blue and the early version of warning panel yellow. All my searches for these by Railmatch seem to show the Rail Blue available but only the “post 1985” yellow in aerosol. Anyone know if the early version yellow is available in aerosol?

Meanwhile, can anyone tell me if Phoenix make both these colours in aerosol? It’d be great if I can buy both colours from the same source to save a bob or two on postage. 

• RMweb Premium

I've never used a Railmatch aerosol without it clogging. Phoenix aren't much better - it's a struggle to re-use a part-used can.

There are a number of paint supplier who will sell you a 400ml aerosol for £12-£15 which shouldn't have these problems. The paint codes are:

BS381C/114 "Rail Blue"

BS4800/08 E 51 "Golden Yellow" (Pantone 116)

I suspect this is the later post 1985 shade but there's not much difference between the two if you're going to weather the model.

Steven B.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

I suspect this is the later post 1985 shade but there's not much difference between the two if you're going to weather the model.

I know they are marketed as pre & post '85 yellow, but I remember noticing 2 trains way after that with very different shades of warning panel yellow.

On 23/05/2022 at 18:00, Graham108 said:

Have you tried contacting Phoenix direct - https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/

On 23/05/2022 at 18:00, Graham108 said:

Have you tried contacting Phoenix direct - https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/

No not yet. I deliberately chose to ask around here as, one can usually count on some additional insight into using paints or alternatives- as evidenced by the reply from @Stephen B above..I got bored with trying to decide the validity of the websites too. Ultimately I’ll try to give Phoenix or Precision a ring before an order.

5 hours ago, Steven B said:

I've never used a Railmatch aerosol without it clogging. Phoenix aren't much better - it's a struggle to re-use a part-used can.

There are a number of paint supplier who will sell you a 400ml aerosol for £12-£15 which shouldn't have these problems. The paint codes are:

BS381C/114 "Rail Blue"

BS4800/08 E 51 "Golden Yellow" (Pantone 116)

Steven B.

Thanks for that Stephen B. Not having experience of having paint mixed to order, are you saying using those codes, I could walk into say, a B&Q or wherever, and have a good approximation of Rail Blue and warning yellow produced? Ie, they are ‘official” accepted codes for those shades or approximate matches? Intriguing if so.

7 hours ago, Steven B said:

Steven,

I always thought that the 'approved method' was to turn the can upside-down and spray until the paint stopped spraying (until only 'air' comes out), so that the nozzle is not blocked? It's worked for me many times in the past.

Ian

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, ISW said:

I always thought that the 'approved method' was to turn the can upside-down and spray until the paint stopped spraying (until only 'air' comes out), so that the nozzle is not blocked? It's worked for me many times in the past.

It is - I've never had any problems with Halfords aerosols by taking that approach.

I may have been unlucky, but I've never been able to finish a loco with Railmatch aerosols without having a blockage. I've found Phoenix to be better but coming back to the can a few weeks or months later lead to disappointment. I'm sure I've seen both selling replacement nozzles which is perhaps telling...

Steven B.

• Agree 2

I’m with Steven on this, and I’ve ranted about it on another thread. Why Railmatch and Phoenix can’t get their acts together and sell a product that is fit for purpose is beyond me. As mentioned above, Halfords (and others) seem to manage it.

• Agree 1

I totally agree with Steven B and forest2807, Phoenix paint in tins is great and when suitably thinned airbrushes well but the aerosol just clogs up and splutters the paint over your precious model. Halfords aerosols spray perfectly throughout the life of the aerosol, cover well and leave an even finish but as they dont produce an off the shelf match for Rail Blue I ordered paint from Riolett UK Aerosols. They supply any degree of gloss or matt finish and come with adjustable nozzles in RAL, BS or Pantone colours.

https://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk/

I did find that Halfords Rover Inca Yellow was very close to pre 80s Warning Yellow BS381C 356.

Paint.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1