Model Rail/Dapol GW Sentinel & Hornby Select

Hello all, I'm experiencing a significant issue with a Dapol GW sentinel (recently purchased) being used with a Hornby Select System.

Whenever the loco is put on the track, is speeds away at what seems like full power. Nothing will stop it, not even the emergency stop. It was initially fitted with a Hattons 8-pin decoder (I have since found that they are not compatible with Hornby Systems), but I then also tried two types of DCC concepts 8-pin decoders (Both of which work perfectly in other locos) but they made no difference to the model's behaviour.

I'm now starting to question if its the Hornby select that is the problem. I'm hoping someone knows a little more than I do, and that there might be a solution as I really don't want to let the sentinel go!

Thanks in advance.

On 24/05/2022 at 10:29, BartonStDavidSDJR said:

Hello all, I'm experiencing a significant issue with a Dapol GW sentinel (recently purchased) being used with a Hornby Select System.

Whenever the loco is put on the track, is speeds away at what seems like full power. Nothing will stop it, not even the emergency stop. It was initially fitted with a Hattons 8-pin decoder (I have since found that they are not compatible with Hornby Systems), but I then also tried two types of DCC concepts 8-pin decoders (Both of which work perfectly in other locos) but they made no difference to the model's behaviour.

I'm now starting to question if its the Hornby select that is the problem. I'm hoping someone knows a little more than I do, and that there might be a solution as I really don't want to let the sentinel go!

Thanks in advance.

That Hattons statement is donkey’s years old and based on the early Select firmware and makes no note on site of if the Hattons decoders are even NMRA compliant. It is essentially 2008 urban myth and is wrong for current Select firmware.