Inverness-Glasgow/Edinburgh Mk2 sets

Wex Cel

Good evening, I'm modelling the Highland Line in the Large Logo era - circa 1986/7.

I have formations for the Clansman and the Chieftain HST, the sleepers as well but I'm a bit confused over the Inverness day sets.

I had a look on the ex-Yahoo Coaching Stock Group, but their Carriage Working books only go up to 1983 for Scotland.

From posts on this forum it seems the booked formation of the Inverness-Glasgow/Edinburgh sets was BSO-TSO-TSO-TSOT-CK, however I'm unclear on a few things.

How many sets were there? I tried figuring it out from the 1986 and 1987 timetable but the dated services etc rather complicate things.

Also, I've seen some photos with a Mk1 BG in the formation, were there specific workings these were added to for conveying mail or something or was it completely ad hoc?

Also, some sets in 1986 seem to be strengthed to 6 or 7 coaches with an extra BSO/TSO, was this specific or ad hoc? It doesn't appear to be done in 1987 and thereafter; not enough coaches in an expanded timetable?

Finally, some photos show a BFK instead of a CK, was this booked or simply occasions where a BFK was all that was available?

I have a 1986 Combined, but can't see any air braked Mk2 BFK at Inverness, unless I'm missing something?

Cheers

Edited by Wex Cel

• Wex Cel changed the title to Inverness-Glasgow/Edinburgh Mk2 sets