RhB Stations : Track centres

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone, please tell me where l might find information on the track centre distances used on RhB stations before the recent modernisation program started ?.  I m thinking about stations like Malans  Rueun or Rhazuns which were typical traditional three track layouts.

Man thanks in advance

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick
Update

5 hours ago, Blobrick said:

Can anyone, please tell me where l might find information on the track centre distances used on RhB stations before the recent modernisation program started ?.  I m thinking about stations like Malans  Rueun or Rhazuns which were typical traditional three track layouts.

Man thanks in advance

Bob C

A quick look on Google maps shows excellent shots of Malans (individual rails clearly visible) , Rueun nowhere near as good on Google but https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.swissimage&layers=ch.swisstopo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs.gebaeude_wohnungs_register,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.astra.wanderland-sperrungen_umleitungen&layers_opacity=1,1,1,0.8,0.8&layers_visibility=false,false,false,false,false&layers_timestamp=20101231,,,,&E=2730294.66&N=1181830.07&zoom=13 has excellent high vis imagery, you can output these pints to pdf complete with a 25m grid which allows easy scaling, Rhäzüns is a bust for both packages, the first two have still got 3 track setups in arial imagery well plus sidings for Rueun, get your hard copies before they update the satellite shots

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi there DGO

Many thanks for this link. I was unaware that this sitei existed.  I ve had a quick look, and the images are excellent for the Rueun area, l ve printed the PDF files off already!  Its a very good resource, I m no doubt going to lose many hours, just looking  around the RhB network,  thanks again for this link.

One happy chappie

Bob c

2 hours ago, Blobrick said:

Hi there DGO

Many thanks for this link. I was unaware that this sitei existed.  I ve had a quick look, and the images are excellent for the Rueun area, l ve printed the PDF files off already!  Its a very good resource, I m no doubt going to lose many hours, just looking  around the RhB network,  thanks again for this link.

One happy chappie

Bob c

Glad I could help 

David

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, DGO said:

Glad I could help 

David

Well l ve spent the day scaling off various RhB stations that still have their original track layout, and the best average track centres l could find was around 4.2 m. I ve converted this average into feet & inches then scaled it for 2mm scale. This seems to come out around 26-27 ish mm track centres. Late this afternoon l laid the first sections of the station track work. Even after using 30mm as my standard track centre, it does look a bit narrow. As N gauge track is scaled at 9mm to represent 4ft 8 1/2, my track centres would mean the two inner  "6ft" rails would be at standard gauge spacing therefore reducing the  the distance between the tracks. So l measured between the adjacent inner  6 ft rails whick gave me a rail to rail distance of 21, mm, yet it still looks to narrow I m wondering if that's to do with the N gauge sleepers size compared to the true narrow gauge track?

IMG_20220526_184602.jpg

IMG_20220526_184626.jpg

Edited by Blobrick
  • Informative/Useful 1

I just ran the image into Autocad I get an average distance between track centers of 4275mm RHB Coaches are about 2670mm wide behind a GE 4/4 III loco which actually sounds about right to me for the pre raised platform era, I can remember transfering between trains on another line in Switzerland and the conductor opened the door lent out and passed the cases straight across the gap, there was maybe 4 to 5 ft between the sides of the two trains, typically at a station if two trains were expected in at the same time the staff would ensure no one was in the area between the two trains, the new raised platforms mean there has to be more space between the lines which has often resulted in one or more lines being removed in the station area

So for European N Gauge is 1:160 26.71mm or 27mm between centers sounds right to me Your problem is that N Gauge track  at 9mm = 1440 mm at 1:160 or if using 2mm = 1 ft (300mm)  then 1350mm which is significantly wider than the meter gauge of the Rhb

I'd get a pair of passenger wagons and space the tracks to give a scale 1.5m between them, that should look right 

• Like 1

On 26/05/2022 at 01:05, DGO said:

A quick look on Google maps shows excellent shots of Malans (individual rails clearly visible) , Rueun nowhere near as good on Google but https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.swissimage&layers=ch.swisstopo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs.gebaeude_wohnungs_register,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.astra.wanderland-sperrungen_umleitungen&layers_opacity=1,1,1,0.8,0.8&layers_visibility=false,false,false,false,false&layers_timestamp=20101231,,,,&E=2730294.66&N=1181830.07&zoom=13 has excellent high vis imagery, you can output these pints to pdf complete with a 25m grid which allows easy scaling, Rhäzüns is a bust for both packages, the first two have still got 3 track setups in arial imagery well plus sidings for Rueun, get your hard copies before they update the satellite shots

The site also has a measure tool for on screen metric measuring. For the image displayed track centres are 4.15-4.2m

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

The site also has a measure tool for on screen metric measuring. For the image displayed track centres are 4.15-4.2m

Hi Mike, thanks for confirming the measurements on the screen image.  I came up with exactly the same dimensions, so l ve got that part right at least 😃

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DGO said:

I just ran the image into Autocad I get an average distance between track centers of 4275mm RHB Coaches are about 2670mm wide behind a GE 4/4 III loco which actually sounds about right to me for the pre raised platform era, I can remember transfering between trains on another line in Switzerland and the conductor opened the door lent out and passed the cases straight across the gap, there was maybe 4 to 5 ft between the sides of the two trains, typically at a station if two trains were expected in at the same time the staff would ensure no one was in the area between the two trains, the new raised platforms mean there has to be more space between the lines which has often resulted in one or more lines being removed in the station area

So for European N Gauge is 1:160 26.71mm or 27mm between centers sounds right to me Your problem is that N Gauge track  at 9mm = 1440 mm at 1:160 or if using 2mm = 1 ft (300mm)  then 1350mm which is significantly wider than the meter gauge of the Rhb

I'd get a pair of passenger wagons and space the tracks to give a scale 1.5m between them, that should look right 

Morning DGO

thanks for the information, above.  i.5m works out at around 9.75mm in 2mm scale. I ve measured between two EW1 coaches and actually have almost 13mm between them, so although it still looks tight, l m a happy bunny.

Many thanks for your input, big help 

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick
  • Like 1