Measuring curved surfaces

23 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

I'd like to 3D print a dome and chimney for a saddle tank loco. How might I accurately determine the dimensions of the curved surfaces that they will sit upon to ensure a perfect fit? 

I'm going to assume that the curved surfaces are on an existingg loco rather than one drawn by yourself otherwise you would already have the dimensions, I would use geometry to get a rough starting point say I worked out that it was roughly a 20mm radius, I would then (depending on the size) get a set of radius gauges or print off a radius gauge and compare, 

Your problems arrise only if it's an oval surface rather than a circular one however it is still possible to get close using a contour gauge and a micrometer to take a series of points across the surface, then create some custome 3dprinted gauges to match, or get it laser scanned 

David

3 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Thanks - putting names to the necessary tools is half the battle! 

It certainly is, but don't forget  if you have a 3D printer you can print your own test equipment so you don't need to know the name just have an idea of what it needs to do. I once improvised a measuring setup to allow me to transfer body sizes onto a manequin using a long steel ruller a couple of set squares , some cardboard and duct tape, 

• 1 month later...