WIGAN EXHIBITION 2022 Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd October

Eaton

There will obviously be more details to follow such as a layout list, trade support and demonstrators when these are all confirmed and supplied by our overworked Exhibition Manager. At the moment I'm not sure that 'Pies' are on his radar but if you have preferences please let me know and I will pass on the information. However I must warn you that Pie Supply is in the hands of the Sports Centre catering department over whom we have limited influence.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have it on good authority that a layout list is soon to be available as soon as our Exhibition Manager has solved the latest conundrum. He is busy consulting his crystal ball trying to predict the cost of fuel in October so that he can balance the cost of transporting layouts to Wigan.  Something of a budget headache he tells me. I feel that maybe something of an understatement!! 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Eaton said:

Something of a budget headache he tells me. I feel that maybe something of an understatement!! 

Just think of all the extra visitors that will come to use the sports hall's heating rather than burning furniture at home.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

Once upon a time we were in the position of being able to invite whichever layouts we wished with neither cost, scale or period being a problem. Under those circumstances it was not difficult to produce a balanced exhibition, the only real issue being availability. Not so nowadays, costs are a massive limiting factor as well as the unpredictable state of the times we live in.

It is only a matter of weeks ago that the group decided to go ahead with the show as there have been some massive hurdles that we have had to circumvent. Rest assured that we have tried to produce the best exhibition we can and hope people will support our efforts.  

Over the next days and weeks I shall try and post photographs of the layouts on the list so you can get a flavor of what awaits visitors in October. Whilst there maybe gaps in the coverage ( I have an interest in Cambrian and I notice there are no Cambrian layouts) you will be able to clearly see that the quality is still very high.

Regarding my Cambrian interest, it is not just the fact that there are none at Wigan, there are rarely any Cambrian layouts at any exhibitions. However it has not stopped me attending exhibitions and I hope the lack of American & Continental HO will not deter Long Island Jack or other visitors from travelling to Wigan.

Edited by Eaton
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I bought your Cambrian "Eaton Arches" signal box for a tenner a few years ago at the Wigan exhibition Eaton. Still on my loft layout though a new nameplate is now carefully fitted.

Looking forward to the exhibition, the layout list seems very interesting to me. 

Hope everything goes well for you and the exhibition. 30 mins walk for me - I have no excuses for not going !!

Brit15

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Hopefully we should be getting the Lime stone  trains running on Chapel en le Frith (central) at the Show"

IMG_0646.thumb.JPG.21838fa7333d1705d2e7c8ee4ea527b9.JPG

Baz

Check your brakes before running your trains !!

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/ewan-maccoll/the-ballad-of-john-axon

It’s a seven-mile drop from Bibbington Top, oh Johnny
It’s one in fifty-eight and you’ve no steam brake, oh Johnny
She’s picking up speed and the power is freed; it’s a prayer you’ll need
But you’ll never make it, Johnny
Every yard of the track says you won’t come back, Oh Johnny
She’s a fist of steel, every turn of the wheels cry Johnny
There isn’t a chance
You’ll get to your dance
You can see at a glance
That you’ll never make it Johnny
There’s a tunnel ahead, you can’t cover your head, oh Johnny
Doing sixty an hour and she’s gaining power, oh Johnny
Watch out for the wall -
Bunch yourself up small
In the smoky pall
Or you’ll never make it, Johnny
It’s hell on a plate, it’s a funeral freight, oh Johnny
It’s the end of a dream in steel and steam, oh Johnny
There’s a world in your head
And you’re due at the shed
And there’s life ahead
But you’ll never see it, Johnny
All alone now. Ron’s gone. On my own now, all the way, all the way
Never make it. How far’s all the way? There’s a gradient all the way into Whaley
Seven-mile gradient. One in seventy. One in sixty. One in fifty-eight

John Axon was a railway man to steam trains born and bred
He was an engine driver at Edgeley loco shed
He was a man of courage and served the iron way -
He gave his life upon the track one February day

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Check your brakes before running your trains !!

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/ewan-maccoll/the-ballad-of-john-axon

That was the other Chapel-en-le-Frith station, on the Buxton line.

Looking forward to seeing Chapel-en-le-Frith Central (not for the first time), since I live just over the hill from it. Considering what the backdrop shows and the operator is standing behind the backdrop he's probably standing on my house :)

Edited by Reorte
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 20/06/2022 at 13:45, Eaton said:

1554216448_LAYOUTLIST2022.thumb.jpg.1e19c8854dc3278ce4bb13ac15f16dcd.jpg

Teeny tiny correction to the list, the Hazel Grove & District MRS layout is actually called Smethurst Junction 🙂. Looking forward to helping the team run Smethurst Junction again and finally getting the chance to see Chapel-en-le-Frith too - Leeds and Hazel Grove usually have their exhibitions the same weekend.

Cheers Paul

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Reorte said:

That was the other Chapel-en-le-Frith station, on the Buxton line.

Looking forward to seeing Chapel-en-le-Frith Central (not for the first time), since I live just over the hill from it. Considering what the backdrop shows and the operator is standing behind the backdrop he's probably standing on my house :)

Ah, I get my lines mixed up here as they crossed each other a couple of times !!! A lovely bit of the country though.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Ah, I get my lines mixed up here as they crossed each other a couple of times !!! A lovely bit of the country though.

In fact they cross very close to where the accident happened, it's just the Buxton side of the station. There are a lot of railways around there; further down the valley you've got three in parallel for a bit, one on either side of the valley and one crossing over it (Buxton line, Sheffield via Marple, and Sheffield via Hazel Grove, joining the other one at New Mills).

It used to be a pleasant walk in to Chapel from the currently still open station, but unfortunately a lot of that's been built on in the last few years. But still a lovely bit of county as you say, and I feel fortunate to live in that area.

• Like 1

This looks like a good exhibition, one which I have been to before and I have always had a good time there.

If I do attend, this show will be one of the first I have been to since the Covid lockdowns.

Sam 

• RMweb Premium

I will be most certainly attending the Wigan exhibition, a exhibition I have attended for many years and will continue to do so.

I completely agree with Eaton’s comments it’s a nightmare trying to balance the books in these difficult times.

We at Stafford have the same issues the week before Wigan 

So please all you modellers support us and all model railway exhibitions over the coming months so we are able to continue the annual exhibitions we all have missed over the last two years.

Terry

Stafford Railway Circle 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1