Using PVA for static grass – how to avoid shine under layout lighting?

On a previous layout I applied PVA to the landscape before applying the static grass but under artificial lighting it shows through as shiny ground (under daylight it’s fine). With my current layout having built-in lighting and a whacking great grass embankment right across the back I can see this problem rearing its head again. How do others avoid this problem? Different glue maybe?

Not a huge problem in the photo but I took it several months ago and I seem to recall having to adjust my position a fair bit in order to get a non-glary picture. I think it might just be the angle one needs to view at, but if there’s a way of ensuring you don’t get it from any angle I’d be interested.

Thanks in advance.

post-7489-127711678132.jpg

I had the same problem on a test piece a was doing.

post-8259-127711947382_thumb.jpg

You can just see the adhesive shining through on the right of the picture. One glue that has been suggested is Copydex. It apparently dries clear and without a shine to it. Because it is a latex based glue it also keeps a certain amount of flexability when it has dried.

I will probably try this out on the next piece i was going to do.

Hope this helps and all the best

Andy

Try mixing in a small amount of Tamiya matting agent with the PVA to kill the shine. I haven't tried it myself but i know others add it to things like Klear to make a matt varnish so it could be worth a try. Best to experiment on a small area first and see if it works.

On a previous layout I applied PVA to the landscape before applying the static grass but under artificial lighting it shows through as shiny ground (under daylight it’s fine). With my current layout having built-in lighting and a whacking great grass embankment right across the back I can see this problem rearing its head again. How do others avoid this problem? Different glue maybe?

Not a huge problem in the photo but I took it several months ago and I seem to recall having to adjust my position a fair bit in order to get a non-glary picture. I think it might just be the angle one needs to view at, but if there’s a way of ensuring you don’t get it from any angle I’d be interested.

Thanks in advance.

post-7489-127711678132.jpg

How about trying Matt Medium instead of PVA or perhaps a 50/50 Medium/PVA mix.

John Bruce.

• 1 month later...

Archived