New edition of "In Search Of A Dream" - Roye England and Pendon Museum

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Published and Launched at Pendon Museum on the 14th May, this is a new and enlarged edition of the book initially published in 2001, which has been out of print for some years now.

9781912038602.jpg.f5311b35eff92f88d4f5e7572011448e.jpg

Now running to 264 pages and with a much expanded selection of photographs and illustrations, this is the often moving story of one man and his passion, together with the trials, tribulations and triumphs that were experienced along the way to achieving his vision..

Which is Pendon Museum, of course.

The book has two new chapters, a small amount of editing of the original text, a mainly different selection of images and a lot of new colour images. These including some photographs taken by Roye in the 1950s - such as this rather nice snap of Yelverton, complete with his bike!

Yelverton.jpg.1c97b73cce7252fc46afe52a2e35b161.jpg

The colour images of Pendon itself are stunning, being the result of much work by the talented Paul Ellis, who is very involved with the wonderful museum at Pendon.

The book has been laid out and designed by the talented steve Phillips, who also prepared the wonderful coloured map of the Vale Scene.

Available from Pendon itself, direct from my website or from your favourite supplier, Sewn softback on high quality art paper, 264 pages and priced at £29.95.

Simon Castens

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought a copy of this delightful book at ExpoEM a couple of weeks ago and a recent spell of being laid up with some (non-Covid) leurgy gave me an opportunity to have a good look through it.

There is a wealth of historic photographs, many taken by Roye England himself, which compliment the more recent colour views of the various dioramas at Pendon, including the stupendous 'Vale' scene, which is just breathtakingly stunning. Some of the modern photos have had views of (real) distant hills and sky photoshopped onto them. This has been very skilfully done and the results simply enhance the already superb modelling even further.

But quite apart from all the photographic delights, there is the text, the bulk of which is really Roye England's own autobiography, with some notes by Stephen Williams, who has effectively 'collated' this volume and added preface and some subsequent chapters, outlining developments at Pendon following Roye's death in 1995.

The chronology of Roye's account, from childhood, to his move to the UK in the 1920s and the subsquent development of his deep, abiding interest and love for the rural English landscape, is a pure delight. It is informative and at times quite moving and gives the reader a real 'feel' for the way he lived.

There is also much coverage of other key contributors to the story of Pendon, especially Guy Williams, with whom Roye so fortuitously became acquainted in the post-war years.

I didn't know Roye England personally, but I did encounter him on one visit to Pendon in the 1980s, sitting upstairs on his usual stool next to the embryonic 'Vale' scene, freely giving of his knowledge to any visitor that cared to ask.

Even if you were not interested in railways (real or model), I would strongly recommend this book, simply on the basis that it is such an evocative account of a largely disappeared way of life. Given that virtually all of you reading these comments will have an interest, however, then I'd say that this is a book that really needs to be owned and read.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I bought a copy of this delightful book at ExpoEM a couple of weeks ago and a recent spell of being laid up with some (non-Covid) leurgy gave me an opportunity to have a good look through it.

There is a wealth of historic photographs, many taken by Roye England himself, which compliment the more recent colour views of the various dioramas at Pendon, including the stupendous 'Vale' scene, which is just breathtakingly stunning. Some of the modern photos have had views of (real) distant hills and sky photoshopped onto them. This has been very skilfully done and the results simply enhance the already superb modelling even further.

But quite apart from all the photographic delights, there is the text, the bulk of which is really Roye England's own autobiography, with some notes by Stephen Williams, who has effectively 'collated' this volume and added preface and some subsequent chapters, outlining developments at Pendon following Roye's death in 1995.

The chronology of Roye's account, from childhood, to his move to the UK in the 1920s and the subsquent development of his deep, abiding interest and love for the rural English landscape, is a pure delight. It is informative and at times quite moving and gives the reader a real 'feel' for the way he lived.

There is also much coverage of other key contributors to the story of Pendon, especially Guy Williams, with whom Roye so fortuitously became acquainted in the post-war years.

I didn't know Roye England personally, but I did encounter him on one visit to Pendon in the 1980s, sitting upstairs on his usual stool next to the embryonic 'Vale' scene, freely giving of his knowledge to any visitor that cared to ask.

Even if you were not interested in railways (real or model), I would strongly recommend this book, simply on the basis that it is such an evocative account of a largely disappeared way of life. Given that virtually all of you reading these comments will have an interest, however, then I'd say that this is a book that really needs to be owned and read.

I have a copy of the first edition but on the strength of comments here and elsewhere I'll probably buy the new one too.

I didn't know Roye either but encountered him at Pendon in the 60s, probably sitting on the same stool but operating the Dartmoor scene. He was quite astonished when a 12-year-old spotty schoolboy recognised a Barnum...

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a brilliant book. I have the first edition, but all the new photos, especially those in colour, made me buy the second edition as soon as it was available. Did not regret it!

And the story of Royes life is an absolutely fascinating tale.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

On our recent trip back to the uk we had a lovely afternoon at Pendon and I too bought the book.

Ive now read it cover to cover and want to go back to see all the things I missed!

The museum and book are very inspiring and the book is definitely worth buying. 

I don’t think I ever met Roye, but over the years I spoke to many people on my visits… like St Enodoc, I too was a spotty schoolboy when I first visited!

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

I bought it from The Titfield Thunderbolt online shop (where else?). It's absolutely marvellous. I've been interested in Pendon since the late 50s/early 60s when word started getting out.
In 1967 I managed to visit with my good mate David - we had hired a Mini and photographed Barry, Mountain Ash, the Corris, Talyllyn, Festiniog, W & L and the KESR.
When we arrived at Long Wittenham, Roye and Paddy Burridge were running the show. Roye was very welcoming, showed us round, and he and Paddy, Dave and I had a good chat. Roye was exactly as portrayed in the book - a dreamer in a way, but very practical about Pendon. Paddy was more combative. He and Roye carried on a friendly argument during our visit, which was extremely amusing 
Many years later my wife and I were near Long Wittenham so naturally I said "You've got to come to this place" - and of course It was closed. But she's now seen the colour pics in the 2nd edition and can't believe that the models are in 4mm scale.
Somehow, we have to re-visit.       

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for your kind comments, and great memories of Roye and Pendon too.

The book is happily selling better than we had expected, given that is a second edition of a book that the first edition of which many people had already purchased.

This is a tribute to all of the hard work that Stephen put into the new edition, together with the expanded number of photographs, including the really superb colour work of Paul Ellis from Pendon.

1245877764_PaulEllisshotofPendon.jpg.26c372a001a6ae3a2cb896d99ccb7e57.jpg

Thank you again for your comments!

Simon

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Out of interest, one of the prototypes of the Pendon buildings was demolished this year (which sort of proved Roye England's point).  It was a shop end-on to the road - "the sign in the window used to say "The Old Ship" as it was once a pub called The Ship.  It was left to rot for 20 years, probably quite deliberately, until someone managed to get planning permission.  No doubt there will be a modern 5-bed house going up in its place.

https://goo.gl/maps/2fK8PMjurdEJgH1h7

http://www.shrivenhamheritagesociety.co.uk/downloads/ship-inn.pdf

It's "Fowler's Store" at Pendon.

Edited by rogerzilla
added more info on prototype
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 10 months later...