Welcome to TT:120

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to the RMweb Forum for TT:120.  At the start of June 2022, Peco announced the launch of a new Code 55 track range using the scale of 1:120 (2.54mm) and with a gauge of 12mm, correct for Standard Gauge railway modelling.  The aim of this Forum is to provide a place where modelling ideas and projects can be shared as the range develops, and where questions about TT:120 can be asked.  This is a new venture so everything is fresh, and the Forum format can be ideal for beginners and those with vast modelling experience to offer mutual encouragement and advice for the journey.

In terms of r-t-r rolling stock, Peco have plans for a 7-plank wagon, while Heljan have been first to announce a locomotive in UK-outline TT:120, with the launch of a Class 31 A1A-A1A diesel (due late 2023).  Gaugemaster have also announced a range including a possible Class 66 locomotive.  As for 3-D prints, kits and scratchbuilding, possibilities could be endless.  Let's see what happens.

Product specific items here on RMweb will still be found in the Products and Trade Forum, with threads for the initial Peco and Heljan announcements here:

PECO announces its entry into the TT gauge market 

British outline 1:120 TT from Heljan

While here is a link to the initial Peco Launch video:

Examples of TT modelling in 1:120 scale using prototypes from other countries may also appear in the Continental/Overseas Forum, while 3mm Scale modelling (which includes modelling in the much-loved Triang 3mm Scale TT range) is in the 3mm Scale Forum.

This is a new venture - so give it a go, and have fun.  Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 17

• AY Mod pinned this topic
On 17/06/2022 at 09:39, Hobby said:

There has been some H0 RTR British stuff I believe, so not quite!

Very annoying how it didn’t take off, same could be said about Lionel promoting OO gauge as 19mm! I’d have been very happy with that if modern models were made to that track gauge

• Like 1

I think it came too late, RTR 00 was by then very firmly established and the difference in size too great for people to want to run the British stuff together. TT 1:120 doesn't have that issue, in effect, it's like starting from scratch. It'll be interesting to see if people do mix and match British and Continental stock on the same layout, in the same scale... It's been done in Real Life in both SG and NG at various preserved lines.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Tempted, 2 in stock.  £134 for a 4 car train.  Piko ICE, DB livery.

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=128

Apparently motorbogies.com is part of hollywood foundry which has closed.

I have no idea what the current status is because the website says copyright2022 but I was advised on another thread they are closed.

I wonder if someone here knows deffinatively whether they still trade?

Graham

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Moria15 said:

Apparently motorbogies.com is part of hollywood foundry which has closed.

I have no idea what the current status is because the website says copyright2022 but I was advised on another thread they are closed.

I wonder if someone here knows deffinatively whether they still trade?

Graham

Motorbogies.com is part of 3SMR, which is very much still trading. 

They used to sell Hollywood Foundry products, but they have never been part of Hollywood Foundry.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Motorbogies.com is part of 3SMR, which is very much still trading. 

They used to sell Hollywood Foundry products, but they have never been part of Hollywood Foundry.

OK I'm confused...  I posted about motorbogies.com and @whart57 said that Hollywood foundries was closed so was anyone else selling them.

To me that said that the site I was looking at was null and void,  so lets clear this up..

Are motorbogies.com with their adverts of 12mm bogies from BullAnt and others still trading and are the motor bogies still available?

Regards

Graham

Edited by Moria15

It certainly does not inspire any confidence when the home page sees March 2021 as the future and the news and updates has info from 2010. And if the company details and address are on the site they are well hidden. They don't deserve to get business via that site.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Moria15 said:

OK I'm confused...  I posted about motorbogies.com and @whart57 said that Hollywood foundries was closed so was anyone else selling them.

To me that said that the site I was looking at was null and void,  so lets clear this up..

Are motorbogies.com with their adverts of 12mm bogies from BullAnt and others still trading and are the motor bogies still available?

Regards

Graham

Hollywood Foundry closed down in 2019 due to ill health of the proprietor, so they are not making any new BullAnt bogies.

It is possible that retailers may still have stocks of BullAnts from before 2019. Motorbogies.com are listing some.

Since motorbogies.com sell far more ranges than just the BullAnt, I'm not sure that I understand the comment that 'Hollywood foundries was closed so was anyone else selling them.'  As a retailer you don't usually shut down if one of your suppliers closes down.

I have ordered from both 3SMR & Motorbogies.com in the past, although I will admit it was about 12 months ago.

I don't know what they currently have available.  Here is a LINK to their parent company 3SMR.  There's a telephone number on there, I suggest anyone who is interested in their products rings them tomorrow and asks the question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just to confirm, as of yesterday (8th July 2022), model shops are reporting that the Peco range of TT:120 track and laser cut building kits is now starting to appear on the shelves.  Good news and thank you to Peco.  Have a good weekend, Keith.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

3 months since the dawn of TT-120. Not much as emerged since. I don't think it matters at this stage. But I do think we need more over the next 3 months, to give us a better idea of where things are heading.....

• Agree 1

I doubt 12 or 18 months will matter, once they start to appear it'll gather it's own momentum at that time. We had to wait ages from announcement to launch of RTR 009 and it has taken off. 

Patience.

Edited by Hobby
Spelling

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hobby said:

I think we'll know more in 12/18 months time. I'm in no rush so quite happy to wait patiently. In the meantime if anyone is desperate to try TT there's plenty of Continental models.

Continental TT is not massively easy to lay hands on for UK residents. 😉

Malcolm at 3SMR has some, including some great prices.

Golden Valley is almost entirely sold out.

Jadlam had Piko, but also sold out.

Arnold have some UK stock, including the Kofs, of which I have just bought one.

Anything else appears to involve importing from Europe, which involves shipping, and then unpredictable customs duties and additional possible VAT levy.  Given that most good TT is already substantially expensive, importing from Europe is not a set of dice I've rolled yet. 🙃

It's probably not much different from rolling the dice on importing from the US which I've done multiple times, but eh, it's more galling when the shop is only 5 or 6 hours away.

I do keep browsing though https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com

Maybe a trip to Germany?  Roughly £300 personal goods allowance at UK customs 🙂

Edited by andythenorth
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've used MBL many times, they are very good. There's also ebay, though you may have to ask the seller if they'll sell to the UK, many will. I've sold a lot of Zueke H0m stuff recently to German buyers using ebay and its worked well. It's not as difficult as you think!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

@Hobby

Got any recent import customs invoices for MBL? 

I think for Walthers US imports I was paying about £20 per £100 spent, but I don't have any recent customs invoices to hand 🙂 

It's not exactly that I can't pay the duty, I suspect it's more that I'm looking for excuses to go to Europe 😛

Edited by andythenorth