Modelmaster

TheEngineShed

I'm starting this topic as a replacement for MODELMASTER UK - Order delays. The previous topic was closed due to certain comments, hopefully we can avoid the turd flinging this time around. I did approach a moderator, and received permission to resurrect the topic, prior to this post.

I was supportive of Jim Grindlay in the original “MODELMASTER UK - Order delays” topic. I'd ordered etched locomotive plates in Oct 2020 and received them within 30 days. Then on 28 December 2020 during another order, I'd had problems with the check out cart, and I emailed Modelmaster, hoping to complete my order within the time limits of the 20% off sale. I was surprised when Jim responded quickly, he was up quite late. The checkout cart was broken, I'm in the US, and due to Brexit, it couldn't determine what to charge. Jim asked me to send him the funds for the plates, via paypal friends and family, plus 10 pounds to cover the cost of a Royal Mail tracked small packet. Jim said he would get them out by the 30th, but two of the plates were red, and they are supposed to be special order only, not “in stock” items. The list I gave Jim was for 4mm plates, 3020, 4573, 5081, 5746, 6429, 7239, 8720 red, and 9449 red. Via paypal, I sent Jim 48.36, and he acknowledged receipt that evening.

I had followed Jim's notices on his website dealing with covid delays, eye surgery, etc. during spring 2021. I was going to send Jim a reminder letter when June arrived, but before I could post it, he had an update on his website, “massive delivery of plates, he only had a 100 back orders to go”. So I patiently waited another month, and still no Modelmaster delivery.

Jim states on his website to call. Calling the UK from the US is awfully expensive, I use facebook to connect with friends and family in the UK, calls cost a pound a minute using the telephone. So a letter to Jim seemed appropriate. The first week of July I sent Jim that letter, in 18 point font so it would be easy to read. The letter included our email exchanges, and the list of plates. I wished him good health and hoped his eyesight was improving.

But here we are today, over six weeks later, still no plates, and no response from Jim. Letters and packages are currently taking a week to cross the Atlantic. The latest update on the Modelmaster Jackson Evans website states to add 5 extra days for red or blue plates, so they have had plenty time to fill my order and for my order to make it to me in the post.

Am I alone in not receiving goods that have been paid for from Modelmaster? I've been patient, but it has now been 8 months...

Edited by TheEngineShed
Updated Topic Title to "2021 Order Delays" on receipt of goods.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

I would cut your losses and put a claim in with your card issuer or PayPal depending who you used for payment before it is too late.

I would now consider that sound advice to anyone ordering from Modelmaster.

Jim asked me to pay with paypal, friends and family, so I couldn't have made a subsequent claim.  Not that I am suggesting that that was Jim's intent at the time, I believe that method may have saved him paying fees.  But even if i had paid using regular paypal, which has a six month limit, Jim's early June website posting stating he had just received a massive plate delivery and was going to get the remaining 100 orders out, would have caused me to wait pass the six month time limit for a claim.

I've purchased goods from approximately a dozen other small manufacturers in the UK over the past year.  Their service has been impeccable, excellent communication, and quick delivery. 

Edited by TheEngineShed
Spulling mistake
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Is that all? I ordered a DVD from Kalmbach a few months ago - it took nearly 7 weeks to arrive, USA to UK.

Ordered a copy of Miniature Building Construction, by Ahern, via Abe books.  Used paypal, paid on the 1st, book shipped from Cramlington via Royal Mail International Standard on the 2nd.  Arrived in my postbox in Virginia a few minutes ago.  That is 9 days.  I can order from Hattons or Kernow and I get it faster than ordering from most US Hobby Shops.  Part of that is very prompt shipping, I'd rate UK railway hobby merchants way above those in the US in that regard.  The exception of course is Modelmaster, we are at the 9 month point with them...

• Like 1

On 11/09/2021 at 14:36, F-UnitMad said:

Is that all? I ordered a DVD from Kalmbach a few months ago - it took nearly 7 weeks to arrive, USA to UK.

Was it sent air or surface mail?

In the opposite direction I am sending tracked parcels by RM that are reaching their destination in a week. It's better than it was pre-covid.

On 25/08/2021 at 00:46, TheEngineShed said:

pay with paypal, friends and family

Always rings a warning bell to me - on the few occasions a supplier has wanted to avoid PP (or other providers fees) I simply tell them to add the fees to the invoice & I'll pay that way.

Worth the peace of mind.

• Agree 5

Some aspects of ordering from Modelmaster are very efficient??? I ordered some nameplates on the 18th August 2021.

Very quick reply emails:

18/8/2021  Order successfully received

18/8/2021  Payment accepted

18/8/2021  Order confirmed

19/8/2021  Processing in progress

03/9/2021  Order shipped.

The order has still to arrive!!!!!!!!!

I should add that over a number of years and orders the service has been fine. 

Edited by Bulleidboy100

I am still awaiting a set of OO GWR 6827 'Llanfrechfa Grange' plates that I did order with Modelmaster last year on the 06/10/2020 along with three others that have arrived. However due to the situation we have been in I have been patient but I will do a check up call tomorrow...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

It was offered for sale a while back as part of one of the proprietor's rambling nonsensical emails but nobody was interested.

I know the situation is bad but 'rambling nonsensical' is a bit  iffy isn't it?

• RMweb Premium
On 24/09/2021 at 18:44, John M Upton said:

I call as I find....

Let 's hope you never hear or see any criticism of yourself then John. It can appear very hurtful, even if deserved. Some thing best left unsaid......I find.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So in early September I sent Modelmaster a second letter which included the previous letter, plus a request.  Either issue a refund, send me the RM tracking number if the order had been sent, or please send my plates.  I did mention that I would call the shop shortly after he received the second letter.  I was too busy with work last week to call, but I did give it a try today.

Jim answered the phone on my first try and knew who I was, he had received both of the letters that I had sent.  He had 7 of the 8 plates in hand, including the two red ones.  He was still waiting on the one named plate set.  I asked him to just send the seven and we'd call it even.  Jim insisted on including another named set, and I agreed, whatever Jim had  on hand.  Jim stated that he would get them in the post this week.

We only spoke for five minutes, I told him the cost of a call from the US was somewhat expensive.  Jim thanked me for sending the letters in a large font, apparently one of his eyes is still giving him trouble.  We had a very pleasant discussion and I do wish him well.  He really does need the capability to  send short emails though.  If he had just let me know he had received the first letter and was working on my order, I would not have started this topic.  Hopefully, in a few weeks the plates will arrive. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

I haven't received an email from Modelmaster since 3rd June. Have there been any/many?

Regards,

Martin

No emails to me and I'm on the mailing list, but the Modelmaster website is being updated or changed to advertise specials, sometimes on a weekly basis. 

• Like 1

I spoke to him a few weeks ago today and I'm happy to wait tbh. He did offer me a refund but I said I was happy to wait as he is in turn waiting for the nameplates to come through plus I have other projects that are shouting out at me. I asked him when was best to try again and he said December. Not a problem to me to all.

• Like 3