Multiple back clicks required

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

If I click a forum link or a thread link and then want to go back to where I started it now takes multiple clicks of the back button to do that. I.e. there are multiple entries in the navigation history for just the one "forward" event that I have to back through.

This is a bit annoying. Seems to have changed in the last day or so.

Gold, Chrome on iPad.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Andy,

If I click a forum link or a thread link and then want to go back to where I started it now takes multiple clicks to do that. I.e. there are multiple entries in the navigation history that I have to back through. This is a bit annoying. Seems to have changed in the last day or so.

Gold, Chrome on iPad.

Also Firefox on my laptop.

Update.

If I click on the back arrow nothing happens, but if I click on the refresh circle thingy, and when refreshed, click on the back arrow ,it works.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Seems to have changed in the last day or so.

Gold, Chrome on iPad.

I noticed it last night but cannot establish any reason for it at the moment. No changes have been made to trigger it. I'll investigate further.

• Thanks 5

I've been trying to avoid using the back button on RMweb for a quite a long time now, because of the adware script alteration of the browser page-positioning function. Attempted disabling of the backevent function is common unfortunately.

Edited by Miss Prism

6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A bit more info, the issue , for me, is only occurring when trying to get back to the forum index page, moving back back between pages in the topic is OK.

Mike.

Same here. I've found that hitting the back button twice in quick succession  enables exit from a topic back to the index page. Works for me anyway......

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Random discovery: Clicking Back from a page in Chrome on Desktop:

image.thumb.png.85b706de5271256341892920e58e7c8b.png

The Back navigation action goes to the sync URL and then half a second later the setuid URL. The only way to escape this page using the back button is to click Back again during the half second between "sync" and "setuid".

• RMweb Premium

This appears to have just started on an android chrome tablet.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, TheQ said:

This appears to have just started on an android chrome tablet.

Nope; I've had it since the topic started. Still searching for the reason.

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Nope; I've had it since the topic started. Still searching for the reason.

For me at least, if it's too much trouble I can live with it, I mean, it's not as though it's life threatening or as important as Accurascale Deltic brake chains or what they're going to produce in batch 2 is it?

Mike.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Has there been an upgrade? This morning  the browser back button is not working when browsing through topics on RMWEB. I am using Firefox and there there hasn't been an update for a few days.

@goldfish

In Firefox, right-click on the Back button. You can then select which page you want to go back to. Working fine. Probably works in other browsers.

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

If it helps, the first click appears to be trying to take me to somewhere called "rtb.adxpremium.services". 

Sounds like standard prebidding bots auctioning your personal data to the highest bidder.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I have this using Firefox at work (it only started recently, about the time the thread was created), but not when using either Firefox or Chrome at home.

I use Martin Wynne's suggestion of right-clicking the back button, since multiple clicks of the back button don't work reliably. When you right-click the back button, there is always at least one "previous" page that is actually the page you are on. The real previous page is two or more pages down the list.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just found this thread, I have been experiencing this for perhaps two weeks now.  The reaction on the forum pages to single clicking/ double clicking the back arrow is variable/ random for me, sometimes immediate response, sometimes no response whatever even to double click. Premium membership, Laptop running Windows 10 accessing RMWeb via MS Edge.

Will try to remember to use the 'right click' suggestion and see if that works.

Regards,

John

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Sounds like standard prebidding bots auctioning your personal data to the highest bidder.

Except that's not happening and even if you mean tracking cookies that is not personal data held within the forum database.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Recently started happening for me. 

I believe browsing history is being mutated, haven't figured out where / why / how yet.

Unless it's just a bug in recent Chrome, but haven't noticed it on other sites.

EDIT - got repro steps

1. Only affects logged in users - can verify with incognito window.

2. Clearing my session (log out, log in) fixed the issue.

3. Could only repro in Chrome (macOS) - didn't have existing sessions in Safari or Firefox, but neither had the issue.

So might relate to sessions which started before one of the following:

1. Forum software might have been updated recently

2. Chrome update (mine recently updated to 103.0.5060.53)

Log out / log in might resolve it for other people.

Couldn't figure out what it was, history didn't appear to be being mutated, but as it's no longer happening, can't dig any further 😉

Edited by andythenorth
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Recently started happening for me. 

I believe browsing history is being mutated, haven't figured out where / why / how yet.

Unless it's just a bug in recent Chrome, but haven't noticed it on other sites.

EDIT - got repro steps

1. Only affects logged in users - can verify with incognito window.

2. Clearing my session (log out, log in) fixed the issue.

3. Could only repro in Chrome (macOS) - didn't have existing sessions in Safari or Firefox, but neither had the issue.

So might relate to sessions which started before one of the following:

1. Forum software might have been updated recently

2. Chrome update (mine recently updated to 103.0.5060.53)

Log out / log in might resolve it for other people.

Couldn't figure out what it was, history didn't appear to be being mutated, but as it's no longer happening, can't dig any further 😉

I log in and out for every session and my home computer uses Firefox.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I log in and out for every session and my home computer uses Firefox.

Is the back-click issue consistent across the site, or limited to certain sub-forums?

I've just had it recur on the Accurascale sub-forum https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/331-accurascale-irish-railway-models/

Might be related to the #google-vignette, which appears to be appended to history as an anchor link.

I've tried recording the page events using developer tools.

I think something is catching an onunload() event and mutating history, but I'm not really a developer so I'm guessing at this point.

Edited by andythenorth

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Is the back-click issue consistent across the site, or limited to certain sub-forums?

I've just had it recur on the Accurascale sub-forum https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/331-accurascale-irish-railway-models/

Might be related to the #google-vignette, which appears to be appended to history as an anchor link.

I think something is catching an onunload() event and mutating history, but I'm not really a developer so I'm guessing at this point.

From my experience, it's across the whole site.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2022 at 17:32, andythenorth said:

If you right click the back icon, you can see duplicated pages that you have 'visited', but it doesn't always happen. If you select the lower of the pair, it will take you where you want to be every time, from my experience.

• RMweb Premium

It remains intermittent for me, but effect can be seen in attached screenshot.

History can be seen to contain two entries for the Accurascale forum (there should be one only).   Back-clicks were getting trapped.

It can also be seen that #google_vignette has been appended to the URL.  I'm still not convinced that's not just coincidence.  But eh. 

It would fit the pattern - the interstitial ad that sometimes runs might be triggered on unload of the current page, and might redirect back to the named anchor on the current page, which would produce two history entries.  Related-unrelated, the on unload event might be handled in the same way when navigating backwards, which would appear to trap the user on the current page.

I might dig some more another time.  Leaving a session capture running in dev tools might show what's going on better.  Just needs patience.

image.thumb.png.d040ed65c509709674c218788d6f3c22.png

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been getting this on Firefox/Win 10 for the last couple weeks. I see the same duplicate entries under the Back button history as above, tried logging out and in again, but no joy. Logging on to a fresh Chrome session seemed to work ok, but that isn't my browser of choice.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, 57xx said:

I've been getting this on Firefox/Win 10 for the last couple weeks. I see the same duplicate entries under the Back button history as above, tried logging out and in again, but no joy. Logging on to a fresh Chrome session seemed to work ok, but that isn't my browser of choice.

As I stated above, if you see the duplicated pairs in the Back button history, select the lower of the pair and you will go to where you want to be. It's not that hard, until Andy works out a solution.