Red Heat Emergency week of 18th July 2022

Am I correct in recalling that the previous highest UK temperature was 38.1C recorded in Suffolk(?) on Sunday 10th August 2003? I think that was the newspaper headline figure. The reason why I (think I) recall it is because the previous day D1015 made its first trip to Penzance since restoration, a tour I was determined to be on. I lived in Swindon back then so joined at Reading, however at that time the railway was experiencing buckled rails in the heat and even at around 7am speed restrictions meant the HST was more LST as it rolled along the GWML at a sedate pace. Luckily I was aware of the situation and left enough time. Although I was concerned that the temperatures could curtail the tour somewhere there was also the chance that the heat would reduce as the tour headed further South West, and so it proved. However not by much - when I reboarded the train at Penzance I nearly melted in the Mark 1 mobile oven until forward motion created a breeze through all the open windows! The still high air temperatures that evening also caused one of D1015's engines to overheat and shut down twice during the later stages of the return journey - luckily the other one coped.

The tour was originally scheduled to run in early June, it would maybe have been less stressful if it had!

The following day we loaded up the car and headed off on holiday.......to Cornwall! Ten days after the Melting Western Tour I found myself back in Penzance, it was still sunny but thankfully things had cooled off somewhat.......phew!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I spent most of the summer of ‘76 photographing Hadrians Wall for the DoE, wouldn’t have been so bad but I had to do it on a 5x4 sheet film MPP camera and equipment, luckily back then I was young, fit and made mostly of rubber and magic, now it feels like I am made of cast iron and bad luck! 😉

Those of us who remember the summer of ‘76 might also remember the time the temperature in London reached the high …for then….of the magic 100 F recorded on the Air Ministry roof. On that day,I was at a family wedding in Streatham.Those of us who do remember will also have “moved on “ in their respective capacities to cope with the current extremes of climate and the strength of the sun. I could cope with it then….a fitter man less than half the age I now am with none of my current health issues .    On Tuesday next ,I had planned to attend an event which involves  a 90 mile return drive. Unless there is a drastic cooling off in the forecast, I shall cancel. If I don’t heed the warnings and look after myself ,who else will ?  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Am I correct in recalling that the previous highest UK temperature was 38.1C recorded in Suffolk(?) on Sunday 10th August 2003? 

No.

Cambridge University Botanic Garden on 25 July 2019,  38.7C,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Those of us who remember the summer of ‘76 might also remember the time the temperature in London reached the high …for then….of the magic 100 F recorded on the Air Ministry roof.

True, and no coincidence. Those with long memories will remember that historically most Met Stations were coincident with RAF airfields. Starting from an era when most of those were grass fields. Over the years, the RAF reduced the number of active airfields, concentrating on ones that had much more concrete and tarmac (Urban Heat Islands). Or locations which used to be rural, but are now urban.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Moving or water of unknown depth and unknown condition of the road below the water level are the problem areas. Some people think that their 4WD is immune.

Rufford Ford near Mansfield is normally good for removing those 4x4s from the road......

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

A 61 year old Spanish municipal worker died in Madrid today, his body temperature was 41 degrees. There are major fires in Portugal too. That heat system is heading our way. I was in Spain Friday of last week and got heat stress from being on the beach too long. So take care guys!

Dava

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Reference to railway tracks buckling also makes me concerned about my own railway. The layout is in a fully converted loft with proper windows, but even so it's at the top of the house and the temperature was 35C this afternoon. Will be keeping a close eye on things Monday and Tuesday.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Rufford Ford near Mansfield is normally good for removing those 4x4s from the road......

Whilst I was living in Cumbria we had several snowy winters and the emergency services spent plenty of time removing stuck vehicles - mostly 4x4s whose drivers seem to think they could drive through a metre of snow!

They guy who used to live opposite where I live now wrecked a BMW X7 driving through a deep ford a Landy would have managed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

According to the fart (who used to be in the White House), this kind of thing is nothing to do with global warming?

Huh?

And 1 in 6 of UK adults believe him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61965581

As regards 1976, it was relatively cool compared to more recent heatwaves you wont find the max temperatures reached then in the current top 5 attained. The highest was 35.9 C in Cheltenham

The significance was the dryness and the fact that somewhere reached 32 C on 15 consecutive days and 35 C on 5 days

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, melmerby said:

As regards 1976, it was relatively cool compared to more recent heatwaves you wont find the max temperatures reached then in the current top 5 attained. The highest was 35.9 C in Cheltenham

The significance was the dryness and the fact that somewhere reached 32 C on 15 consecutive days and 35 C on 5 days

Bring back Dennis Howell minister for drought!

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, melmerby said:

... and it was also after another hot dry summer of 1975. Of course, 1996 became one of the wettest years on record, it began to rain about 12 September and kept on well into February. 

But when we moved to York in 1995 the drought up here for several years was such that hundreds of tankers were used to move water - I can remember going along the M62, over the tops, late in the evening (off the evening Brussels flight into Manchester) and seeing the tankers all lined up alongside the reservoirs. There was a huge fuss that the private Yorkshire water was losing far too much water from its systems. 

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Countries are set up to deal with typical weather conditions and some outlier conditions. The same reason Britain isn't set up to manage well with Arctic conditions in the same way as Scandinavia or Russia is the reason we're not set up to deal with extreme heat, because normally it's a handful of days a year and cost-benefit means it isn't (or rather, wasn't) worth the effort. In countries which live with hot weather people are acclimatized, things are either air conditioned or designed to use more traditional ways to shelter from the heat and people adjust behaviours according to conditions. If it remains hot for a while you do acclimatize but there is a temperature where no amount of acclimatizing will address the issue as body core temperature rises to dangerous levels causing heat stroke.

Lots of simple things you can do as others have already stated, drink plenty of fluids (however try and avoid drinking a large bottle of water in a single gulp if you are parched, that is not good either), stay out of the sun, wear a sun hat or use an umbrella (in Asia umbrellas are as much about nice days as wet days) and if you are struggling at night you might try putting a damp cloth over your pillow. Fans are useful, we don't use air-con much at home as the ceiling fans are usually enough unless it is brutally hot. Importantly, give your body a chance to acclimatize if you are an active type.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, RFS said:

Reference to railway tracks buckling also makes me concerned about my own railway. The layout is in a fully converted loft with proper windows, but even so it's at the top of the house and the temperature was 35C this afternoon. Will be keeping a close eye on things Monday and Tuesday.....

Me too.  I'm in the same situation and have been keeping the windows wide open and the access ladder down to create a sort of chimney effect and circulate the air.  Seems to work a bit and takes the edge off the heat but it's still too hot to spend long up there.

• RMweb Premium

A tip worth sharing for anyone doing anything strenuous is to taste your sweat, if it's salty your salt levels are OK, if it's not salty you need salt. It sounds a bit gross but it was something taught to us at sea and works well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

29 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

if it's salty your salt levels are OK, if it's not salty you need salt. 

It would be very unusual for anyone to need additional salt, there should be more than enough salt in your diet for normal needs.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Roddy Angus said:

It would be very unusual for anyone to need additional salt, there should be more than enough salt in your diet for normal needs.

It depends on your level of exertion, if you're doing heavy physical work or exercise you can easily deplete salt. It's why in some occupations people are issued with salt tablets or have access to electrolytic drinks. When I was at sea working in the engine room it was something people used to keep an eye on as if people got complacent you could see them start to act a bit strange and get unsteady. In my earlier days it was treated as a disciplinary matter if it happened twice. Admittedly this shouldn't be a problem if people have a sedentary lifestyle but it's a real problem if you are in a job (or enjoy physical activity) which entails a lot of exertion and sweating.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I hesitate to contradict you but only those who are carrying out strenuous activities are likely to need additional salt.  Individuals going about their normal activities should not need additional salt unless directed by medical advice.  Too much salt is bad for people and a normal diet contains the salt needed by most people. Rehydration drinks are better than salt tablets as they should contain a better mix of sodium chloride and water.  Regular use of salt tablets in hot countries was discontinued by the armed forces years ago.

Sorry to disagree but I don't think many RMWebers will be running marathons next week.

By the way, I'm in Scotland and we're hoping the snow will melt.

Roddy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

I hesitate to contradict you but only those who are carrying out strenuous activities are likely to need additional salt.  Individuals going about their normal activities should not need additional salt unless directed by medical advice.  Too much salt is bad for people and a normal diet contains the salt needed by most people. Rehydration drinks are better than salt tablets as they should contain a better mix of sodium chloride and water.  Regular use of salt tablets in hot countries was discontinued by the armed forces years ago.

Sorry to disagree but I don't think many RMWebers will be running marathons next week.

By the way, I'm in Scotland and we're hoping the snow will melt.

Roddy

That's why my tip was directed at those doing strenuous stuff. The point of the tip is it is a quick and easy way of identifying if your salt level is dropping and becoming a risk.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

In countries which live with hot weather people are acclimatized,

Example. This is Leynar-Faroe Islands last week.

1123906899_ErikWrangChristensenLeynarbeach.thumb.jpg.9044d906062e82d709163a3c15ab2097.jpg

Photo: Erik Wrang Christensen.

It was like this when I visited in 2017. The temperature was 15°C. A year later, I was in Sydney. Temp' was about 17°C and people were wearing sweaters and overcoats.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, JZ said:

It was like this when I visited in 2017. The temperature was 15°C. A year later, I was in Sydney. Temp' was about 17°C and people were wearing sweaters and overcoats.

I used to find it amusing when family members used to visit me in England and I'd be enjoying balmy weather in a tee shirt while they were wearing coats and complaining how cold it was. Now I'm a bit worried I'll be the same, oh dear......

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JZ said:

This is Leynar-Faroe Islands

I remember a similar experience when on holiday in Iceland. During the second week, the weather turned dry and warm and temperatures rose to the low 70s. When we got to Reykjavik, it seemed like the whole place was out sunbathing - with the long dark winters they get, I think I can understand this reaction of "catch it while you can"

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 1

A lot of runners use a tablet in a glass of water after a run as you say to top on the salts etc that are sweated out. When I was in the Middle East at first we took salt tablets but after a couple of months I became acclimatised. However I did end up for four months living under canvas. One night I slept on the roof of a landrover it had a safari roof.

No matter what all stay well drink plenty and put off those jobs if you can until Wednesday.

Keith

• Like 3