magnets for X03/4 motors.

cypherman

Replacing the motor rather than the brushes is typical of today's waste economics, In X.04 days this would have cost 12/10d rather than pence. (I can't remember the cost of the brushes but it was less than a shilling.) Also there would have been the risk of losing that wretched screw! (S.1011.)

On the other hand the rubbish motor is probably clapped out after 500 hours use anyway. It appears to cost about £8 on eBay - nearly as much as X.04 brushes!

(Just joking - £5.98 all-in on eBay)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Well as promised I got a compass and my super strength magnet. I then followed these instructions to remagnatise the weak magnets I had.

Once you have obtained a magnet, you must find out which end of the magnet is the north pole and which is the south pole. The best way to do this I used a compass. If you bring a compass near the magnets north pole, the needle will point towards the south. And if you hold it near the south pole, it will point north.

By doing this, you have safely identified which pole is north and south. You can use the same method for the magnet you want to remagnetize. Some magnets poles are already marked by the manufacturer. Check for this before using the compass method.

TIP: You can color mark the poles with a blue and red color (red being south, and north blue)

Now to the last step of remagnetizing your weakened magnet. When you have identified the poles of both of the magnets, you need to take your weakened magnet and touch the northern pole of it with the south pole of the powerful magnet.

After this, you simply repeat the process, but in reverse. You take the south pole of your weakened magnet and touch the north pole of the magnet with it.

Well I am pleased to say it has worked really well. I have remagnatised 3 X04 motors successfully. All it cost me was £2.89 for the compass and the magnet I used to increase the motor magnet was free. The magnet I used to remagnatise the weak ones came out of an old hardrive, And my god they are strong...... :)

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5