problem with Bachmann decoder

oldemte

hi all

first post as old emte  

on entering value 8 into c.v.8 to return all c.v.s to factory settings, when i then readc.v.8 back it reads a value of 151.

can anybody offer an explanation , is the decoder fried            

T.I.A         oldemte

CV8 is a read only CV, you cannot actually write to it so it remains with the value as manufactured.

However, the decoder senses an attempt to write to this CV as a request to 'reset', so that's what should happen. In your case CV8 =151 will remain, but all CV's will revert to factory settings (or project settings on sound decoders).

This is normal and there should be no adverse affect.

Best regards,

Paul'

• Agree 1

morning all

thanks for your replies

the decoder in question is a Bachmann  36-553 4 function it is in a Hornby a4  woodcock,when i programme it as 6029 and read it back, it

shows as 0003 thanks again 

oldemte

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

If its an early 36-553 they did not support long addresses so try 29.

According to the ESU documentation the 8 pin version of the LokPilot v1.0 only supports 2 digit addresses this appears to be the one rebadged as Bachmann 36-553. The 21 pin MTC version of the LokPilot v1.0 also supports 4 digit addresses, this I believe was rebadged by Bachmann as the 36-554.

The Hornby A4 would have an 8 pin socket unless it was originally supplied with sound.

therfore as Butler Henderson says you cannot use 6029 as the address, it would need to be between 1 and 99

• RMweb Gold

You could use address range 1 to 127. DCC uses base 16 not base 10 numbering system. That confused me back in the day (1997 ish) when I had a Digitrax BigBoy system. 2 digit address but a 4 digit LCD screen, programming in hexadecimal.

The address space from 100-127 is generally best avoided because some decoders will not accept those address and many command stations will not work with this addresses either.

best to stick below 99 unless you have tested the decoder and the command station and proved that the addresses in 100-127 range will work. But then they might not work if you take it to another layout.

• RMweb Premium

Another thing not mentioned by others, is that early LokPilot decoders used a Vmax range of 0-64 not 0-255.

Makes no difference to top speed but the increments are equivalent to every 4 of the 255 Vmax decoders

I found that when I bought a Liliput loco which had a factory fitted 8 pin LokPilot 2.

Otherwise it's a well specified 4 function decoder with lots of adjustments

4 hours ago, Bob83a said:

According to the ESU documentation the 8 pin version of the LokPilot v1.0 only supports 2 digit addresses this appears to be the one rebadged as Bachmann 36-553.
The 21 pin MTC version of the LokPilot v1.0 also supports 4 digit addresses, this I believe was rebadged by Bachmann as the 36-554.

The 8-pin Bachmann 36-553 was originally supplied with only 2 digit addressing.

This was changed later on ( a year or so ?) when the 36-554  21-pin version of the same decoder was introduced in the UK market.

From that point on, until the LokPilot Basic V 1.0  was eventually superseded,   the -553 had 4-digit addressing just like the -554

This paralleled the sequence of release of ESU’s original, homegrown versions of the same decoder.

I have two -553’s with 2 digit addresses and several with 4-digit addresses.

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

Some of these LokPilot1 decoders must be very old, as my LokPilot 2 is dated 20/05/10

It was the LokPilot Basic, so not part of the same number sequence.

The Basic and it’s rebadged Bachmann examples, date from the mid/ late 00’s if I’m not mistaken.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Thanks 1

hi all

thanks to every person who has replied to my problem. as soon as i used two diget addresses everthing came o.k.

oldemte

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, DaveArkley said:

And new ones are rebadged Zimo

Bachmann still list 2 ESU and 1 Soundtraxx decoder in their catalogue range.

The newer decoders are all Zimo though.

Are they still supplying ESU LokSound decoders in their factory fitted sound models?

26 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Are they still supplying ESU LokSound decoders in their factory fitted sound models?

Not in Graham Farish or 009 models, they've always been exclusively ZIMO sound decoders.

Bachmann Mainline 00 may be equipped with either ESU or ZIMO sound decoders depending upon the model, though the current Class 20  and Class 37 have been switched from ESU to ZIMO.

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Bachmann still list 2 ESU and 1 Soundtraxx decoder in their catalogue range.

The newer decoders are all Zimo though.

My factory sound 158 has a Zimo decoder.

• Informative/Useful 1